when the roses bloom [Writing sample][Poster!]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
ash.earl

when the roses bloom [Writing sample][Poster!]

#1 Post by ash.earl »

general information
- genre : romance, fantasy, tragedy
- free or commercial : free!
- play time (unofficial) : 1-2 hours, maybe.
- walkthrough? : no
- kickstarter? : yes
- resolution : 800*600
- demo content (short) : prologue only.
- engine : ren'py / novelty / belle. Still uncertain.

when the roses bloom
Eve is diagnosed with depression after her parents died from an accident when very young. In addition, she has a little bit (just a little) of schizophrenia. A voice leads her down the deepest depths of the forest, and she doesn’t know what to do, until she meets the people who will grant Eve her final wish.

characters
- Eve: a human girl who tries to be optimistic in her life, but can’t because of severe depression issues. She meets the people who will let her rest in peace, but they can’t do it until Eve has a stronger resolve, but while she’s still living, will something else bloom between her and him?
- Shuzo: a mysterious and seemingly mute Shinigami with a bandage covering the lower half of his face. Nobody knows what has happened to him, and he seems self-conscious about it. Can Eve open up his heart for the first time in centuries and unveil his story?
- Nobuyuki: a Shinigami who has a strange liking towards wacky and clashing things when it comes to color and clothing. He is quite mischievous, and tends to pull pranks that go a little bit too far. Despite that, Eve can’t help but notice something off about him…
- Shou: a somewhat haughty Shinigami who seems to be mysteriously connected to Eve; he knows nearly everything about her, ranging from her name and her history with her parents to her relationship with other people. He likes to tease, but his actions are all genuine.

planned features
- prologue, 20 chapters, epilogue
- 2 endings: true and alternate ending
- 3 sub stories
- 6 cg's (1 for prologue, 4 in the story, 1 for true ending)
- 1 choice that will determine which ending you receive. what is eve's fate going to be?
- cg gallery (?)

other links/notes
- recruitment thread
- kickstarter goals
- this is based on a certain drama cd series.
- this isn't a play a character route game. it only goes one way.

artwork artist(s) : akka
concept art (left to right): eve, shuzo, nobuyuki, shou view the full image!

Shuzo's initial sprite set
view the full image!

main menu screen sketch

logo #1!
view the full image!

main menu screen (draft)

background: eve's orphanage room by iceramyst.

questions
- what do you think of the premise thus far?
- do the characters interest you to some extent?
- who is your favorite character?
- do you look forward to the demo?
- do you have any other comments?
Last edited by ash.earl on Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:37 am, edited 7 times in total.

crytalstellar
Tumblr: crytalstellar

Re: when the roses bloom (feedback appreciate)

#2 Post by crytalstellar »

I think it's really interesting! It's got a kind of mystery flavor, that I like!
They do. I'm particularly interested in seeing why Eve is dealing with shinigami. It makes me wonder if she's in some life of death limbo.
Shou. I wonder why he knows things.
Naturally!
The art is really cute! :D

(i am low key kinda wanting to apply for editor. orz)

ash.earl

#3 Post by ash.earl »

crytalstellar wrote:
I think it's really interesting! It's got a kind of mystery flavor, that I like!
They do. I'm particularly interested in seeing why Eve is dealing with shinigami. It makes me wonder if she's in some life of death limbo.
Naturally!

(i am low key kinda wanting to apply for editor. orz)
Hello; we deeply appreciate the feedback, and it will drive us to be able to release the demo and kickstarter (which- by the way- will be a small one compared to other, larger projects). Also, we are currently looking for editors and proofreaders as of right now. If you would like, we can discuss it privately via messaging (send me a private message if you are interested).
We are glad to hear that. All the mysteries will be solved by the end of the game, so you have nothing to worry about. Until then, it will remain a mystery~ Any guesses welcome, though!
Hmm... We can leave that to your imagination until the game is officially released. We are glad for your interest; it will motivate us to further finish the game!
You shall find out in the game~ Hmm... How can someone who has lived for so long know so much about just an individual human...? You'll know if you play the whole released version, which won't come out until a few things happen (ie. reach kickstarter goals or get programmers and artists).
Naturally!
Thank you! We will work hard to strive for the release!
Thank you! akka would be really happy to hear that! The full sprites are coming soon as well.

Arkhane
Regular

#4 Post by Arkhane »

Hello :3

Interesting. But I'm a bit afraid by the final wish thing ... Don't die Eve ...
I like the fantasy part :3

Aye! It's not often, but I like them all :3

All

Oh yes!

Yes! walkthrough? : no :'(
But if it's only a choice, it's ok ;)

Nice art :3

ash.earl

#5 Post by ash.earl »

Arkhane wrote:Hello :3

Interesting. But I'm a bit afraid by the final wish thing ... Don't die Eve ...
I like the fantasy part :3

Aye! It's not often, but I like them all :3

All

Oh yes!

Yes! walkthrough? : no :'(
But if it's only a choice, it's ok ;)

Nice art :3
Hello, Arkhane! We deeply appreciate your feedback. Eve's final wish is to die, but her actual fate lies in your hands about whether she lives or dies. Make your decision wisely! We know this story will be quite emotional, so we are making three humorous sub stories so lighten the mood up for you. We're glad you like the fantasy part.

Thank you for your interest in all the characters. Although Eve won't fall in love with all three (this is not a "route" game), all mysteries will be solved within the story. She will get the opportunity to hang out with each of the characters, so hopefully this should satisfy you. Thank you for the demo; we plan to use Kickstarter, so we hope you will support us to make this game better.

A walkthrough will not be posted, as there is only one choice set in the entire game. However- when the game is released- you can save the part before the menu, so then you won't have to read the entire story again to obtain the other ending. Once again, thank you for your interest! We will do our best to release the demo (once we have a background and logo artist, and possibly a programmer). Thank you for your nice words towards the art; akka will definitely be happy.

ash.earl

Update: Shuzo's sprite set has been completed. View the main post for the image! Thank you. As always, feedback is appreciated by answering the questions.

ash.earl

updates

#6 Post by ash.earl »

- kickstarter stretch goals have been updated! we hope you will back us to make this game the best we can!
- nobuyuki's official (default/normal) sprite has been posted; as the whole set is still in progress.
- the recruitment thread has been updated; i am prioritizing background and gui and logo artists now. if you are interested, visit the recruitment thread.
- the prologue is still in progress. however, we have the general plot line laid out, so everything should go pretty smoothly.

ash.earl

Writing sample + update

#7 Post by ash.earl »

Writing sample (~200 words)
“If you are ever lost in the darkness, follow the compass in your heart.”
? “Haven’t you heard? Another girl has ended up in the orphanage…”
? “It has been happening too often… is there anything we can do to help her…?”
e “Please, don’t worry about me.”
That is what I always say to people who are about to pity me. I turn them down with eyes like ice, and then turn my back. I want to be able to interact with people normally, but if this is all ‘normal people’ will talk about, then I don’t want to open myself up to them.
After all, they would only make it worse.
The conversation abruptly ends, and I go back into my room. When I close the door, I immediately bury my face in my pillow and let the tears I have been holding back roll down my cheeks.
The pain is so overwhelming, it’s hard to dismiss it. I reach for the little drawer located underneath the desk, and open it, making sure to make minimal noises. I then grab my diary out from the drawer as if it is a fragile vase that would break any minute.

Updates
- kickstarter goals have been updated once again. we hope you will back us!
- every sprite has been completed!
- the main menu screen image is in progress; the artwork gallery for this thread has been updated as well.

ash.earl

when the roses bloom - Poster

#8 Post by ash.earl »

a little online-poster for you. feel free to save it, and we hope you enjoy it as well. as always, feedback is always appreciated, so feel free to answer the questions we have provided for you!

akka
Regular
Tumblr: akkalime
Deviantart: akkalime

Re: when the roses bloom [Writing sample][Poster!]

#9 Post by akka »

;^D

ash.earl

#10 Post by ash.earl »

- main menu screen (draft) is done.
- thanks for nobuyuki character fanart, akka! x3
- still working on this; still on the prologue.

ash.earl

#11 Post by ash.earl »

- thanks to iceramyst for doing 2 backgrounds for when the roses bloom. there are still more backgrounds but less workload! check the recruitment post for more information
- the demo and Kickstarter will hopefully be launched soon. we hope you are able to back us so that big improvements can be made to the game!
- any feedback by answering the questions are appreciated!

bump.