ReCast [Fantasy, Romance]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
andrewngn13
Regular
Projects: Recast

ReCast [Fantasy, Romance]

#1 Post by andrewngn13 »

"How can I call myself a hero when I can't save anyone."

...isn't the response that the Demon Lord expected the Hero to say. After decades of fighting between the Hero and the Maoh(demon lord), it seems that Hero doesn't want to kill this generation's Maoh! He can't just go on a conquest of the human lands though. The Hero wants a contract with the Maoh, for, of all things, more power. And so, with the Maoh in tow, the Hero sets off to change the world.

Conflict:
The Maoh hasn't actually ever been killed by the Hero in any of the previous battles. They have only been gravely injured, and a new Maoh was placed on the throne. What makes this confrontation of Maoh vs Hero different is that the Hero is perfectly capable of taking the Maoh's head. The problem with this is, with the Maoh gone and the conflict with the demons at an end, Hero's home country would quickly collapse in on itself.

Confused?
I'm sure you are. In what world does killing the Maoh cause your own country to fail? The Hero lives in the Northern lands, where the soil is infertile, and demons constantly attack from the upper north. How exactly has this country survived so long? This is because of support from the Southern human countries, who provide money to the Northern lands so that they can buy food, weapons, and armor to fight off the demons.
But wait!
The Southern kingdoms are being awfully nice donating money to the Northern lands so they can buy food and weaponry to fight demons. Except the only people the Northern lands can buy from is the Southern kingdoms. If the Maoh is killed, the Northern lands no longer receive aid and they will slowly starve in the so called "peace" resulting from the aftermath of the war.

Summary:
If Hero kills the Maoh, home country no longer receives money from supporters(because no more demonic danger) and home country starves because the land is infertile.

Characters(switching into Maoh voice)
Maoh- Asta(male)
Description: A rather young Demon Lord, he's rather curious about the world outside his castle. A very sheltered person, he's surprised by how technologically backwards the human world is. Like seriously, haven't humans heard of crop rotation before? Its not the Maoh's fault your crops are dying, you're just destroying your own land.

Hero- female
Description: An unothodox Hero, she didn't show up in shining armor with some kind of holy sword to poke him with. Her signature weapon actually seems to be a rather long knife made for parrying and breaking swords. Which the Maoh is deathly afraid of very long knives. Also the fact that she broke his favorite sword with said knife. Seemingly the very first Hero with Thief class traits, which is unheard of for Heroes. There is this very odd quality that Maoh notices about Hero, she always seems to instinctively know whats going to happen ahead of time. Clairvoyance maybe?*

Mage- female
Description: Companion to the Hero, hailing from the mage citystate of the Southern kingdoms, it would be accurate to say she has a ravenous appetite for knowledge and mastery of magic. Of course helping her friend the Hero comes first, but its a frighteningly small gap in priorities. Following Mage leads into a deeper explanation of magic and the dangers of such power.
*One of the key concepts, Mage happens to be an Azure-kin. What does that mean you might ask? She's basically a sponge that absorbs mana at all times, allowing her access to higher cost spells and a lesser need to intake mana for spells. It however has a dreadful effect of drastically decreasing lifespan when using magic.

Duelist- female
Description: One of the adventurers who joined the Defeat the Maoh expedition, she hails from Eastern lands. And is a wolfgirl. A very cheerful person, with a repertoire of bad puns, she boasts an undefeated record, and is constantly searching out stronger opponents. Taking this route leads into a story about the conflicts between beast-kin and humans.

Knight- ???
Description: A large imposing figure who joined the Defeat the Maoh expedition. Knight hails from the Northeastern kingdoms who constantly suffer from dragonic attacks. With a temporary lull in dragonic attacks, Knight seeks aid from the Hero to stop the dragonic assault once and for all after vanquishing the demon lord.
True Identity+ spoilers
female
She's actually the princess of the Northeastern kingdoms. You're probably wondering why a little princess is in a large suit of armor. The cause of the dragonic conflict is that the Northeastern kingdoms first king slayed the dragon's leader, and partook of his eyes, granting him longevity and great magical power, at the cost of dragonic features spoiling his bloodline. The increased affinity for magic allows her to manipulate the armor without the costs and dangers normal magicians would have.
*major spoilers
**like huge
At the end of the Hero's route, Hero will go out of control because she can no longer contain her demonic urges. Did I say demonic urges? That's right, the Hero is half demon, a child from the previous Maoh and Hero. While Hero was taken to the human world, Asta got stuck with sitting in a fancy chair in his demon castle in place of Hero. Asta will proceed to calm down Hero, but be struck down. In her moment of clarity, Hero jumps back to the only moment she can think of, when she met the Maoh. She makes a contract with the Maoh to "save her country", but she is truthfully looking for a way to stop herself. The only problem is, although going back alleviates the demonic urges, that doesn't mean she has her memories of what has happened.

Resolution: Well, I'm truthfully still trying to figure this one out. It will require you having to play each route to gain *insert key concept here* which will lead to the True Hero route.
Progress:
Characters- are being sketched, and personalities further refined
Interface- is being designed
Music- royalty free music/credits given
Script- is being written
I can't quite pin any exact numbers on this since this idea is still rather in its infancy.

Questions:
1. Would you be interested in reading this?
2. How do you feel about more "thought provoking" explanations? This would be the case of how the kingdom is in an economic standstill, or how agriculture could be bettered, or on reformation of politic bodies. Basically heavier contents(hopefully i don't trigger bad memories of history classes.
3. If you read the spoiler, what's your opinion of the overarching plot(which is still being worked on)?
4. I've left quite alot of information out and provided the barebones so i didn't have to infodump this thread with story specific ideas. Was there anything you didn't understand?
5. Anything else you'd like to mention.
"Feel feel to idea-bounce off me."
No, like seriously, just send a pm and I'll respond what I think. I'm open to reading anything.

dfbreezy
Regular
Completed: Episicava, Analistica Academy.
Projects: Rainbow dreams, ADV Tale, A Noble Conquest.
Organization: Epicworks
Deviantart: Epic-works
Soundcloud: Epic_Works
itch: epic-works

Re: ReCast [Fantasy, Romance]

#2 Post by dfbreezy »

1. Would you be interested in reading this?<---- the premise is certainly interesting but the concept of the hero being 'unable' to kill the maou and them working together reminds me of the anime 'I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job.' But that doesn't suppress my curiosity. i would certainly like to read the full story.

2. How do you feel about more "thought provoking" explanations? This would be the case of how the kingdom is in an economic standstill, or how agriculture could be bettered, or on reformation of politic bodies. Basically heavier contents(hopefully i don't trigger bad memories of history classes.<---- never doubt the power of realistic concepts. while fantasy and superpowers attract people, the world itself.. the people, the factions, the wars, the conflicts and the poor. manage those well and you can get a reader so emotionally invested that they'd sue you. :P

3. If you read the spoiler, what's your opinion of the overarching plot(which is still being worked on)?<----- for that particular plot twist i recommend using a red herring. it's a trope where you mislead the reader into assuming something else so that when the plot twist hits even the really perceptive readers will be caught of guard. reading it here without the full story doesn't have much of an impact but manage it well in the story and you can knock people out cold.

4. I've left quite alot of information out and provided the barebones so i didn't have to infodump this thread with story specific ideas. Was there anything you didn't understand?<--- i'll admit some of the information confused me but i'll advise to keep it like this. a lack of information garners curiosity and that curiosity would make people want to read your work.

5. Anything else you'd like to mention.<---- nothing in particular. i use this part to just wish you good luck and i hope you don't experience writer's block (which is our worst enemy) as a fellow writer.

Good day!
ImageImage ImageImage