First Game: Bette and the New Neighbor

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
apocalypseGirls

First Game: Bette and the New Neighbor

#1 Post by apocalypseGirls »

Genre: Slice of Life, Educational
Setting: Modern, Midwestern USA. Inspired by Kenosha, WI and suburbs of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Type: Kinetic Novel

About: A simple novel with a tiny cast (seven named characters!), Bette and the New Neighbor is intended for both young people who meet someone who doesn't share their faith and as an example of a simple KN/VN. The plot will be simple, the graphics and music sourced from free open-source origins.

Due to the source of the characters, they'll have a more comic book feel, rather than anime and manga but I think that'll help it stand out to those who draw in other styles.

Plot: Bette is a curious but shy young woman, fairly average. Her view of the world changes when she meets a new neighbor, Bridget who is a friendly, somewhat strange girl. With her mother unsure and a teacher who disapproves, can new friends find a way to connect?

Sources:
Graphics:
HeroMachine 3.0
Pixabay
Camera

Music:
soundimage.org

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: First Game: Bette and the New Neighbor

#2 Post by fleet »

I hope you enjoy making your kinetic novel. I like the idea for the story.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

apocalypseGirls

#3 Post by apocalypseGirls »

Thank you! Even when a story is simple, execution matters a great deal! Hopefully, when I get a better computer, I can do more with graphics, but the laptop I have barely runs Krita, let alone a tablet or Daz 3D. (Sad panda me.)

I've been having fun with planning and such so far!

For this one, I'm using NVL mode to focus on the writing.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

apocalypseGirls wrote: ...Bette and the New Neighbor is intended for both young people who meet someone who doesn't share their faith...
Learning to relate to other people is important. I say this as a person who lived in a subculture for a few years during the 1990s. It took me a while to communicate with people who had different experiences and perspectives.
apocalypseGirls wrote: Due to the source of the characters, they'll have a more comic book feel, rather than anime and manga but I think that'll help it stand out to those who draw in other styles.
I like seeing visual novels with distinct and varied art styles. Some promising ones have been quietly discontinued -- I was looking forward to I Will Hold Your Hand and Hinomaru. However, some have been completed and released.

For what it's worth, I often use the word "comics" to refer to any story told through words and pictures. They aren't limited to just four or five nations -- there's a large world of comics out there.