Autumn's Queen (GXB, Dark Romance/Fantasy)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Daydreamer97
Tumblr: otomedaydreams.tumblr.com

Autumn's Queen (GXB, Dark Romance/Fantasy)

#1 Post by Daydreamer97 »

Hi! I'm a longtime lurker of this website but recently, I got this idea that maybe I should turn two novels that I'm planning on writing otome games. I won't be making them anytime soon since I can't do art and can't program, I currently don't have the means to pay anyone and I'm very busy with college. However, I do want to make this game (maybe in two to three years).
Autumn's Queen
The first one is pretty much my baby. This is the more ambitious one of the two. It's a Dark Fantasy/Romance story involving faeries with abilities regarding each season. I put a spin on this one by having Autumn Faeries possess a magical ability that pretty much melds technology with magic. It follows a princess called Terra (name not changeable) whose mother suddenly dies of poison. Faced with intrigue, possible war, and a strange prophecy, she must choose a husband from one of the neighboring kingdoms, or the strange Outlands where Faeries' magic don't match a season.

Planned Features:

- Long game. As a novel, I planned this to be sixty chapters long. I've finished a rough draft of the script for the common route but it's pretty short compared to what I have planned.
- Routes that diverge into sub-routes. This reflects the paths that Terra can take. However, there would be minimal choices each leading to the sub-route or the ending. At least 3 endings for each sub-route.
- A novel route. This one would be the original ending I planned for the novel. NOT the true end, but there is only one ending despite being a sub-route with several chapters.
- 5 routes with 2 secret routes accessible from one of the original 5.
- Lots of endings some of which can be seen as 'good' or 'bad'.
- A true ending different from the novel route.
- A glossary for the made up fae languages
- Rated 17+ for gore, violence, possible non-explicit sexual content. (There will definitely be implied sex) Even without sexual content, this will touch some very dark themes not for children.
- If I ever get around to making this, it will probably be commercial.

Characters:

Terra- The MC. Raised as a warrior princess in the strictly matriarchal society of Autumn who suddenly finds herself queen. Faced with difficult decisions, growing ambition, and a dark past, she must stand strong in order to maintain and strengthen the position Autumn gained after the Great War. Her name is sung in epics and whispered in stories as 'Terra Rayumi' or Terra the Warrior.

Love Interests:

Prince Kailen- Prince of Winter and shows up in a second common route after the main one. Heir to the throne of the most isolated kingdom since the Great War. After being on the losing side of the war, his kingdom isolated itself and never again sent ambassadors to foreign countries nor received any from them. He could be petulant and irritating.
Lord Nels- Ruler of a small but influential city-state in the Outlands. He is an easy-going man whose personality belies his intelligence. He would do anything to protect his city-state from an invasion from Autumn.
Prince Damian- Heir to the throne of the Dark Court and son of Queen Mab. He is ruthless, cunning, and perhaps downright evil. He shares a past with Terra. Until now, despite nearly killing him in the Great War, there is still a certain allure about him that she struggles to resist.
Prince Mathil- A younger son of the Summer King. He is often said to be the best of princes for he has no ambition, only a desire for a better world than the one that emerged after the Great War. Secretly, he harbors insecurities about not being a good enough prince.
Prince Jael- Heir to the throne of the High Court. They call him the 'warrior prince of legends'. The son of the famous Queen Titania and King Oberon, he is heroic, brave, and the very image of a perfect warrior. He has a mysterious personality that draws people to him.
+2 secret routes

Script excerpt:

- When I opened my eyes, I was lying down on a bloody mattress inside a tent. My generals were gathered around a table poring over maps of Ohrel Forest.
- I try to get up but I feel a sharp pain on my side. Looking down, I see my abdomen covered in bandages underneath a thin, see-through shirt.
- (Ah, yes. A knife thrust...rebels...fighting)

- I finally understand my mother and her ambition.
- (Everyone thought Autumn was composed of brutish women and weak, effete men)
- They think we have no culture, they who speak our ancient tongue as a lingua franca.

- Then, as the High Priestess was about to place a crown of roses on my head, the warm afternoon sky darkened, the air turned chilly.
- And lightning flashed.
- The lightning illuminated a pair of large black wings.
- (I only know one fae with wings black and feathery like a raven's.)
- Damian.

Questions:

1. What do you think of the concept?
2. What do you think of a non-nameable MC in an otome game?
3. Which of the LIs interest you the most?
4. Any feedback, criticisms, or suggestions?

7/24/2016 : Since I have some stuff written already, I've implemented the idea in Twine. I hope that when production starts, I'll have a good chunk of the story completed so that all that will have to be done are those I cannot do myself. Currently, I have a finished prologue and rough first drafts of the 4 chapter main common route.
Last edited by Daydreamer97 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

Re: Autumn's Queen (GXB, Dark Romance/Fantasy)

#2 Post by Mama J »

Wowow, when I read this, I was really envied by how carefully planned everything is. Like, for me, it's usually I get an idea, I make characters, and I think of settings; after that, I just wing it with the routes and stufff. But for you -- it's amazing how in detail your thought process was for this game!
I think the concept is absolutely brilliant! I don't usually play fantasy games because they don't interest me but this one really piqued my interest. I always have a soft spot for stories involving royal lineage :)
Personally, I'm alright with it. My upcoming game, for instance, has a non-nameable MC so I can relate there. Terra is a beautiful name anyway (:
Hmm.. Well, I know that I'm not interested in Lord Nels, and Prince Mathil. I really just don't go for the "good guy" character, heh. I'd want to like Prince Jael, of course, but I don't know what kind of person he is overall. Like, I picture someone very standoffish; if that's the case, then yes I like him :lol: As for Prince Kailen and Prince Damian, I already know I'll be playing their routes since they seem to be the "bad guys."

I know that the development for this game is very far off but I'm looking forward to it! If you ever need a writer when you come around to working on it, I'd be honored to help out :D

Daydreamer97

#3 Post by Daydreamer97 »

Mama J wrote:Wowow, when I read this, I was really envied by how carefully planned everything is. Like, for me, it's usually I get an idea, I make characters, and I think of settings; after that, I just wing it with the routes and stufff. But for you -- it's amazing how in detail your thought process was for this game!
Thank you! I actually planned the setting around 4 years ago. I have only route that's pretty clear and defined, the rest are pretty much loose. I guess it took me 4 years to think of all this stuff.
I think the concept is absolutely brilliant! I don't usually play fantasy games because they don't interest me but this one really piqued my interest. I always have a soft spot for stories involving royal lineage :)
I suppose I could say I'm mixing fantasy and science fiction with this one, but more fantasy. :)
Personally, I'm alright with it. My upcoming game, for instance, has a non-nameable MC so I can relate there. Terra is a beautiful name anyway (:
Terra means 'earth' or 'soil' so I thought it would be somewhat fitting.

Hmm.. Well, I know that I'm not interested in Lord Nels, and Prince Mathil. I really just don't go for the "good guy" character, heh. I'd want to like Prince Jael, of course, but I don't know what kind of person he is overall. Like, I picture someone very standoffish; if that's the case, then yes I like him :lol: As for Prince Kailen and Prince Damian, I already know I'll be playing their routes since they seem to be the "bad guys."

I know that the development for this game is very far off but I'm looking forward to it! If you ever need a writer when you come around to working on it, I'd be honored to help out :D
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I guess Prince Jael would be the standoffish one since his kingdom is pretty much traditional. Prince Kailen and Prince Damien are actually the bad guys in the novel version and would probably be the bad guys in some routes. To be honest, I like writing about the bad guys more haha. I don't know when I'll ever get around to working on this but help is always welcome!

Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

#4 Post by Mama J »

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I guess Prince Jael would be the standoffish one since his kingdom is pretty much traditional. Prince Kailen and Prince Damien are actually the bad guys in the novel version and would probably be the bad guys in some routes. To be honest, I like writing about the bad guys more haha. I don't know when I'll ever get around to working on this but help is always welcome!
No problem! And yesssss, okay, Prince Jael is now my favorite because I'm obsessed with standoffish characters in otome games :lol: I also share your love in writing about the bad guys; it's so interesting to develop them and kind of see how their personality changes in the end.

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#5 Post by JBShields »

Definitely sounds like something I'd play. Best wishes on your project plans!

Daydreamer97

#6 Post by Daydreamer97 »

JBShields wrote:Definitely sounds like something I'd play. Best wishes on your project plans!
Thank you! I've actually written a rough draft of the common route and 1 1/2 chapters of one of the routes. However, I lost the original, handwritten copy of the common route so it'll go through major revisions. I still don't know when I'd get the funds to actually complete this project but I'm guessing a few years from now. Hopefully by then, I'd have written a good amount that I'm actually content with.

Lyhra
Regular
Tumblr: nami-stuff

#7 Post by Lyhra »

I'm going to be following this game because i love fairy court stories sooooo much! And this sounds very promising.
Good luck!

As I said, I love these kind of stories so you've got me hipped. And i'm also very much into fantasy intrigues and stories about politics and court affairs (more than the classic "quests"). And, of course, I really like that you're aiming to introduce mature themes and writing.

Well, I would said that, if I could choose, i'd prefer a nameable MC. As, in general, I prefer to be able to customize my MC as possible (with personality stats, or even physical customization). BUT, a non-nameable MC won't stop me from wanting to play a game.

I usually need to see the sprites of the LI to choose (yes i'm that shallow, i know lol), and also know a little more about them. This being said, Damian catches my attention as the Dark Court is one of my favorite fairy courts and him sharing a past with the MC... sounds quite interesting. But I'll have to wait and see how much of a bad guy is he going to be, and how would the MC handle him; because I have this thing with bad guys as LI that, depending of how they are written, I love them or hate them.
I'm also interested in Kailen because the Winter Court is my second favorite. But him being "petulant and irritable"... let's hope he's tolerable! Also, i'm not sure if I understand how can we romance him, is he unavailable during our first route? (meaning, you need to play the full game at least once to unlock him) or is it only that he appears late in the game?

Only one question: and the Spring Court? :D

Happy Holidays! :3

Daydreamer97

#8 Post by Daydreamer97 »

Lyhra wrote:I'm going to be following this game because i love fairy court stories sooooo much! And this sounds very promising.
Good luck!
Thank you! I'm excited to work on this game but I'll be focusing on the writing for now. At least, until I can find time and money to work on the other concepts.
Lyhra wrote:1. What do you think of the concept?
As I said, I love these kind of stories so you've got me hipped. And i'm also very much into fantasy intrigues and stories about politics and court affairs (more than the classic "quests"). And, of course, I really like that you're aiming to introduce mature themes and writing.
I'm glad you like the concept! I'm really interested in politics and reading historical fantasy books about royalty and their courts so the game is pretty heavily influenced by those. This actually started out as a pretty simple YA book but then I got the idea to turn it into an otome game. As I explored the concept, the game being more 'mature' made more sense as opposed to it for all ages.
Lyhra wrote:2. What do you think of a non-nameable MC in an otome game?
Well, I would said that, if I could choose, i'd prefer a nameable MC. As, in general, I prefer to be able to customize my MC as possible (with personality stats, or even physical customization). BUT, a non-nameable MC won't stop me from wanting to play a game.
The reason for this is because the MC has a well-developed personality and I think plenty of players won't be able to really see themselves as her. The player's choices greatly affect the story but the choices are mainly connected with her actions, her personality is still hers and develops throughout the routes.
Lyhra wrote: 3. Which of the LIs interest you the most?
I usually need to see the sprites of the LI to choose (yes i'm that shallow, i know lol), and also know a little more about them. This being said, Damian catches my attention as the Dark Court is one of my favorite fairy courts and him sharing a past with the MC... sounds quite interesting. But I'll have to wait and see how much of a bad guy is he going to be, and how would the MC handle him; because I have this thing with bad guys as LI that, depending of how they are written, I love them or hate them.
I'm also interested in Kailen because the Winter Court is my second favorite. But him being "petulant and irritable"... let's hope he's tolerable! Also, i'm not sure if I understand how can we romance him, is he unavailable during our first route? (meaning, you need to play the full game at least once to unlock him) or is it only that he appears late in the game?
Damian is going to be an interesting character for sure! I've been writing out quite a bit about him and I think his motivations and background would prove really interesting. His past with Terra is actually talked about in a prologue I've already written but will be explored in-depth in his route. As for Kailen, he actually grows as a character in his route and depending on your choices, you may or may not like how his story branches.

All LIs are available in your first playthrough. The second common route branches from the first one depending on your choice. If you didn't choose a guy from the first common route, it branches to the second one where the story continues and you can romance 3 more LIs, one of them being a secret route. The secret routes can be unlocked by going in a specific LI's route and choosing an option that leads to the secret route. I hope this helps! As I mentioned, the game branches from each choice so it's a pretty story-heavy game with lots of storylines you can explore.
Only one question: and the Spring Court? :D
The Spring Court will be featured in a secret route :)

Happy Holidays! :D