Apocalyptica (post-apocaliptic, action,adventure)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
SensorialGlint6
Projects: Apocaliptica
Organization: NE Games
IRC Nick: SensorialGlint6

Apocalyptica (post-apocaliptic, action,adventure)

#1 Post by SensorialGlint6 »

Apocalyptica
This is a WIP, that I have been slowly working on for the past week with mostly working on research, plot, story etc. I want to get an idea of whether this game would be interesting to others.

Basic Plot

Game will be set in a not distant future, where worldwide oil problems have sparked yet another war. In all of this mayhem it was unknown who launched all of their available rockets and nukes first. But, wast that important now? around 200 years later, you where born, to what was left of the conflict and at age 20 you decided to join the rangers not only to see the life behind the safe walls of your town, but also to try and help others survive in those hard and deadly times.

As you learn more about the world around you, you will also discover it's darkest roots as you make your own story in the wastes. Will you devote you life purely to your rangers oath and place others above your needs, or will you attempt to find someone to spend you last days with.

Every decision you make, and every dialogue you choose will not only impact the game play but also the story of the characters around you.

Basic Info

- Customize MC's name and choose gender
- 7 Love Interests (male and female)
- Modular ending, allowing for more varied and personal ending based on choices
- Each love interest will have at least 3 different endings.
- Basic inventory
- Card mini game, where you can get more information about a character or quest.
- Possible voice acting for beginning and endings.
- Most likely a commercial multi-platform release.
- Very dark but with some old humor
- Not aimed for younger players.

Feedback I'm Looking For

- Does this sound like something you'd like to play?
- Do you think the story is appealing so far?
- What would you like to see from that project?
- Would you be interested in helping out with this project? (If so, please look below for a list of positions I currently KNOW I would need)
- Unless I make a kickstarter for this, all work done would have to be free till release. Would you be willing to help out knowing that?

Positions I'd Need Filled To Complete This

-Coders
-Writers?
-ARTISTS!!!
-Voice actors? I'd love to have this voiced. At least partially, with intro/endings and for promo material.
-Music composers/editors. I'd like some background music for this, maybe an original Intro/Theme song specifically for this game?
-Anything else that may come up

dfbreezy
Regular
Completed: Episicava, Analistica Academy.
Projects: Rainbow dreams, ADV Tale, A Noble Conquest.
Organization: Epicworks
Deviantart: Epic-works
Soundcloud: Epic_Works
itch: epic-works

Re: Apocalyptica (post-apocaliptic, action,adventure)

#2 Post by dfbreezy »

SensorialGlint6 wrote: - Does this sound like something you'd like to play?

Yes please. :D
SensorialGlint6 wrote: - Do you think the story is appealing so far?
Definitely interesting. it gives me that whole Fallout feel. Besides who doesn't like games based on post apocalyptic wars?
SensorialGlint6 wrote: - What would you like to see from that project?
Exceptional world building. The economies, trades, factions, continents, laws. Throw your readers into the post apocalytic world and have them fend for themselves in the eyes of the protagonist.
SensorialGlint6 wrote:- Would you be interested in helping out with this project? (If so, please look below for a list of positions I currently KNOW I would need)
well i am a writer but i'm currently busy with my own project. But i can give you advice on recruitment and recommend some people to you. Except artists. Most don't work without some form of upfront payment and to get one to come on your side you need to be reeaalllly convincing.
SensorialGlint6 wrote:- Unless I make a kickstarter for this, all work done would have to be free till release. Would you be willing to help out knowing that?
Me personally i wouldn't mind and many Musicians and coders as well as writers may agree to this. but rule out Artists. i had to do same for my project and it took me 15 rejections to get where i am today.(Quite a number isn't it?). i do have some advice on recruitment if you need it.

Best of luck on your project!
ImageImage ImageImage

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Have you already written and completed any stories or video games? Have you published any fiction?

If your answer to both questions is "no," then please be careful. Making a long or complex story is difficult. Designing a detailed choice system and minigames requires a lot of time, effort, and patience. Before you commit to your project, make sure you're ready to devote quite a bit of effort to writing and coding.
SensorialGlint6 wrote:...around 200 years later, you where born, to what was left of the conflict and at age 20 you decided to join the rangers not only to see the life behind the safe walls of your town, but also to try and help others survive in those hard and deadly times.
Think about what will make your post apocalyptic setting stand out. There are a lot of stories which feature a dangerous world of ruins. They can be as bizarre as Zardoz, as humorous as Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, as calm as Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, and so on.
SensorialGlint6 wrote: - Unless I make a kickstarter for this, all work done would have to be free till release...
Be sure to research both failed and successful crowdfunded projects. Look at ones which never found an audience, ones which were released but received mediocre reviews, ones which are well-regarded, and so on.

SensorialGlint6

#4 Post by SensorialGlint6 »

gekiganwing wrote:Have you already written and completed any stories or video games? Have you published any fiction?

If your answer to both questions is "no," then please be careful. Making a long or complex story is difficult. Designing a detailed choice system and minigames requires a lot of time, effort, and patience. Before you commit to your project, make sure you're ready to devote quite a bit of effort to writing and coding.
I have already done several stories for video games, not necessary NV. And Im aware that such larger project will be challenging, especially the modular ending. And I'm up for it, I always love challenge of making sometime complicated work.
gekiganwing wrote:
SensorialGlint6 wrote:...around 200 years later, you where born, to what was left of the conflict and at age 20 you decided to join the rangers not only to see the life behind the safe walls of your town, but also to try and help others survive in those hard and deadly times.
Think about what will make your post apocalyptic setting stand out. There are a lot of stories which feature a dangerous world of ruins. They can be as bizarre as Zardoz, as humorous as Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, as calm as Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, and so on.
I think that given player total control over the story and changing it with each decision, will make it stand out even for its its ability to replay several times.
gekiganwing wrote:
SensorialGlint6 wrote: - Unless I make a kickstarter for this, all work done would have to be free till release...
Be sure to research both failed and successful crowdfunded projects. Look at ones which never found an audience, ones which were released but received mediocre reviews, ones which are well-regarded, and so on.
I have worked with kickstarter ames for a while, so I try to be on the know as to which one are successful and if not, what they have done wrong.

SensorialGlint6

#5 Post by SensorialGlint6 »

dfbreezy wrote:
SensorialGlint6 wrote: - Does this sound like something you'd like to play?

Yes please. :D
SensorialGlint6 wrote: - Do you think the story is appealing so far?
Definitely interesting. it gives me that whole Fallout feel. Besides who doesn't like games based on post apocalyptic wars?
SensorialGlint6 wrote: - What would you like to see from that project?
Exceptional world building. The economies, trades, factions, continents, laws. Throw your readers into the post apocalytic world and have them fend for themselves in the eyes of the protagonist.
SensorialGlint6 wrote:- Would you be interested in helping out with this project? (If so, please look below for a list of positions I currently KNOW I would need)
well i am a writer but i'm currently busy with my own project. But i can give you advice on recruitment and recommend some people to you. Except artists. Most don't work without some form of upfront payment and to get one to come on your side you need to be reeaalllly convincing.
SensorialGlint6 wrote:- Unless I make a kickstarter for this, all work done would have to be free till release. Would you be willing to help out knowing that?
Me personally i wouldn't mind and many Musicians and coders as well as writers may agree to this. but rule out Artists. i had to do same for my project and it took me 15 rejections to get where i am today.(Quite a number isn't it?). i do have some advice on recruitment if you need it.

Best of luck on your project!
Yes, I expect that finding artists and potentially designers will not be very easy. And 15 seems like a moderate number. I had about 50 for my other, much bigger but not NV project.

PuffBun
Regular
Deviantart: kasey-puff

#6 Post by PuffBun »

Yes! Although I prefer the romance routes! :D
It's a very interesting story I like the setting and the apocalyptic theme.
Just a good experience; that makes me feel completely satisfied. With no loose ends!
- Would you be interested in helping out with this project? (If so, please look below for a list of positions I currently KNOW I would need)
Yes! I would be honored to help out! I'd like to be the Sprite/character artist! Check out my Deviantart!http://kasey-puff.deviantart.com/
- Unless I make a kickstarter for this, all work done would have to be free till release. Would you be willing to help out knowing that?
No problem!

SensorialGlint6

#7 Post by SensorialGlint6 »

PuffBun wrote:- Does this sound like something you'd like to play?
Yes! Although I prefer the romance routes! :D
It's a very interesting story I like the setting and the apocalyptic theme.
Just a good experience; that makes me feel completely satisfied. With no loose ends!
Yes! I would be honored to help out! I'd like to be the Sprite/character artist! Check out my Deviantart!http://kasey-puff.deviantart.com/
No problem!
Nice to hear that you are interested in the project, sadly I would be looking for someone who is able to create much....darker/less cuddly character.

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#8 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

I'm a fan for story with apocalyptic themes. Some of my favorite movies, fanfictions and games in one way or another use apocalyptic in their story plot and it made the game far more interesting! Usually there are a lot of internal conflict and problems from the outside. It's kinda thrilling to know what will happens next, will they survive or not and will the world heal itself after the apocalypse?

Iit's not that detailed yet since it's still a rough idea. But with more polishing I think it has a potential to be a great story.

I'd like to see more interactions to the apocalyptic worlds, it's interesting to explore an apocalyptic world, where things isn't normal.
Learning about the trivia from the world or maybe something unique from that world that wasn't there before the apocalypse happen.
I'm looking forward for unique characters too, how they interact and surviving with the condition around them.

I'd love to help but I'm swamped with works and projects myself x"D
But I'm sure people would love to help you out if the recruitment post is up, good luck!