The dragons are coming OELVN

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
ratboi20267

The dragons are coming OELVN

#1 Post by ratboi20267 »

So I had an idea for a visual novel while I was in Croatia. Basically I was talking to a couple friends and came up with an idea. So it's about a place where dragons are coming to Japan and anyone under 20 has to be sent away somewhere. Basically the main character gets sent to America where he meets the other people living there. Then one day a dragon attacks the place and they are forced to go out and fend for themselves. Again this is an EXTREMELY vague idea. Anyways tell me what you think. I would really like to go further with the idea and get it done. All I really need is an artist as it shall be a 2 or 3 part kinetic novel.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: The dragons are coming

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Why did I not include "OELVN" in the subject line? In my opinion...
...the phrase is often used as a way to disparage visual novels written in English. I think that VN fans use the term as shorthand for "a freeware / indie imitation of the writer's favorite commercial Japanese VNs." I have seen both specific and general VNs written in English get thrown under the bus on the r/visualnovels sub-Reddit.

A few years ago, I would sometimes see the phrase "OEL manga" used to describe comics written in English which had a vague resemblance to 1980s through 2000s manga. I didn't like the term, and thought that fans used it to segregate comics and fandom.
ratboi20267 wrote: So it's about a place where dragons are coming to Japan and anyone under 20 has to be sent away somewhere. Basically the main character gets sent to America where he meets the other people living there. Then one day a dragon attacks the place and they are forced to go out and fend for themselves.
The first thing I thought of was Reign of Fire. :D However, that movie barely showed dragons invading the world. Most of it occurs after the dragon apocalypse.

What are dragons like in your story? Are they always bent on destruction, or do they understand concepts such as morality and justice? Is it difficult for them to hide? Can they easily travel over oceans or mountain ranges? Be sure to define their strengths, weaknesses, abilities, and so on.
ratboi20267 wrote: ...it shall be a 2 or 3 part kinetic novel.
How long do you want your story to be? Any thoughts on how many words, or how much reading time?

You can use a three act structure if you want. That said, it's not the only way to arrange a story.

dueceladouce
Regular

Re: The dragons are coming OELVN

#3 Post by dueceladouce »

Its kinda difficult for me to offer an opinion on this. I see the premise... but that's about it. Who are the characters? What kind of world is this in specific? What genre are you aiming for? I can't really give you much when I don't know what kind of story it is. When you describe the idea as "vague," do you mean that you haven't worked out the details yet? If so, it might be a little early to open a WIP thread.

Will work in exchange for fight game buddies.