We Overflew The Stars [VN, Sci-Fi, Drama, Bit o' Romance]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Juncti0n

We Overflew The Stars [VN, Sci-Fi, Drama, Bit o' Romance]

#1 Post by Juncti0n »

Well, firstly lemme apologize for probably misusing at least one of the tags in the title. Brand-new to this kind of thing and I'm still getting used to the vocabulary.

That said - onto my VN idea:

We Overflew The Stars is intended to be a VN inspired by some of the older; cheesy CYOA sci-fi stories of old. Softer anime-styled sci-fi (perhaps to the point of being squishy) in order to focus on the characters and the plot. Currently I plan for three viewpoint characters who the player will control in various stages through the VN (names are all placeholders right now):

- Jayce, a revolutionary pilot who retired in the wake of near-total losses among his unit during the final battle for his home world. With his last battle a success and Imperium forces having withdrawn, Jayce became a contractor and helped to rebuild his world in the wake of war. That success did not last, however; and when Imperium forces returned to Cheyk they targeted him for assassination. Forced to flee in the face of a renewed invasion he comes to discover that the real reason for the Imperium's return is far worse then simple occupation.

- Brienne, the only other survivor of Jayce's unit during the revolution on Cheyk - unlike Jayce Brienne stayed on with the rebels as their campaign extended throughout the sector. She returns to Cheyk under orders to evacuate Jayce and as much of the leadership of the Cheyk government as she can. However her true intentions are far more suspect then they first appear.

- Taegan, the Imperium agent tasked with the elimination of Jayce and other high-value targets on Cheyk. A cunning and ruthless enemy - he fights to redeem his honor in the wake of his defeat at Jayce's hands. Having long hunted Brienne and other rebels he believes his redemption in the eyes of the Imperium is at hand. But the longer his pursuit lasts the more he sees that his superiors aren't sharing everything about the real reason for their renewed interest in Cheyk. The return of forces from Earth only serving to confirm his suspicions.

Though the MC is Jayce, which of this VN's six planned endings the player receives will be heavily influenced by how they advance the relationship between these three characters. The game advances mostly through dialogue choices - with multiple paths planned to be made available to advance the characters. For example - players can customize Jayce's piloting career through dialogue choices that describe how he came to be an ace pilot and the events that led him to be the man he is.

It is important to note here that We Overflew The Stars is intended to be a freely available prologue chapter for a later commercial work. I don't have a set amount of CG and art assets yet because I haven't yet decided how far I want to extend the prologue's chapter count. But because it is a prologue to a larger commercial work I plan to give players the option to import saves from We Overflew The Stars into later works in the series (in other words; choices in WOTS will matter in subsequent games). I do not, however, have any plans to add any additional major characters as development on this project continues.

I currently lack any artwork or music assets to show here, but I will add some generic sci-fi assets in the near future to use as placeholders while I create my own assets to replace them - if I am unable to secure the assistance of an artist/musician. I am currently writing the code for the game and will update this thread when the code for the first scene of the game is in place.

In terms of actual plot - the background idea for We Overflew The Stars is deliberately generic. Retired war hero gets dragged out of his self-imposed retirement when a powerful enemy invades his home again. I am trying to breathe a little originality into that concept by playing around with the details. For example - in We Overflew The Stars the Imperium isn't a galaxy-spanning alliance of evil. In fact it is a rising power in a lawless section of Human territory way out in the boonies where central authority has broken down. The people living out there had to fend for themselves, and that larger resistance front is what Jayce left and Brienne stuck with after Cheyk's liberation. However the central government back on Earth has not turned a blind eye on the Imperium and they have their own ideas for how to solve the problem.

If any of you find this project interesting - or even if you don't - I'd like to ask you to tell me why. I've written for other gaming projects before but WOTS is my first attempt at a solo project, let alone a VN. I enjoy feedback and I'm not afraid of criticism. If any of you have development advice or find my designs a tad ambitious - feel free to speak up on that point as well. Links to any decent sci-fi sprites would also be a life saver. I'm evaluating a few I've found on LSF already but more candidates for consideration are always welcome. :)

Until the next update, then.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: We Overflew The Stars [VN, Sci-Fi, Drama, Bit o' Romance

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Juncti0n wrote:Brand-new to this kind of thing and I'm still getting used to the vocabulary.
Don't worry about forum slang. Just use easy-to-understand terms that describe your plans.
Juncti0n wrote: We Overflew The Stars is intended to be a VN inspired by some of the older; cheesy CYOA sci-fi stories of old. Softer anime-styled sci-fi (perhaps to the point of being squishy) in order to focus on the characters and the plot.
Any specific sources of inspiration? Are there any plot concepts that you intend to avoid?
Juncti0n wrote: It is important to note here that We Overflew The Stars is intended to be a freely available prologue chapter for a later commercial work.
Do you consider it a demo, or a proof of concept?

Your idea reminds me of a number of visual novels on iTunes and Google Play. The apps are labeled "free," but only the prologue is available without paying money. Readers need to purchase individual chapters to continue stories.
Juncti0n wrote: I am trying to breathe a little originality into that concept by playing around with the details. For example - in We Overflew The Stars the Imperium isn't a galaxy-spanning alliance of evil. In fact it is a rising power in a lawless section of Human territory way out in the boonies where central authority has broken down.
In my opinion, it's good for a writer to ask questions such as "How did this nation form?" or "How do people survive in this place?" The podcast Writing Excuses talked about this concept in their Practical Fantasy episode.

Juncti0n

Re: We Overflew The Stars [VN, Sci-Fi, Drama, Bit o' Romance

#3 Post by Juncti0n »

gekiganwing wrote: Don't worry about forum slang. Just use easy-to-understand terms that describe your plans.
Right. Hopefully it's been clear so far.
Any specific sources of inspiration? Are there any plot concepts that you intend to avoid?
There are no specific sources of inspiration, as really this idea stemmed from the character concept for Brienne and expanded from there. I drew on a lot of anime, sci-fi, and CYOA tales I could remember and kept what I thought worked.

As for plot concepts to avoid - there are a few. Mainly revolving around avoiding making Jayce into an anti-hero rebel stereotype. He isn't. Though he lost a lot to the war he retired because he did his job and wanted to try and enjoy the peace. In addition the Imperium isn't quite as polished as your typical evil thugs are expected to be. With this story set deep in the galactic boonies I want to explore a grittier feel for this setting. I typically write for high-technology or oddly elegant fantasy - so by avoiding those settings deliberately here I'm trying to push my comfort zone a bit.
Do you consider it a demo, or a proof of concept?
Proof of concept. WOTS will be a short prologue but it will be a complete story.
Your idea reminds me of a number of visual novels on iTunes and Google Play. The apps are labeled "free," but only the prologue is available without paying money. Readers need to purchase individual chapters to continue stories.
I hate that business model with a passion. I believe that advertising sells itself as long as the product is viable. WOTS in its entirety will be free. In my larger plan the hope is that it will serve as a free advertising ahead of the commercial release that follows.
In my opinion, it's good for a writer to ask questions such as "How did this nation form?" or "How do people survive in this place?" The podcast Writing Excuses talked about this concept in their Practical Fantasy episode.
Awesome link, I agree with the idea for the most part. Coming from a background in writing for the last decade or so such questions come fairly naturally to me. And indeed many of the stories and television shows I enjoy have rich backstories to explore. I enjoy that aspect of storytelling immensely.