The Trial of Reynard the Fox [KN | Dark Comedy | Folklore]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
SexBomb
Regular
Completed: Up All Night, Reaper's Rite, Nameless
Projects: Up All Night 2
Organization: Fiendish Fiction
Tumblr: sexviolenceandvideogames
Deviantart: cooldrinkofwater
itch: fiendishfiction

The Trial of Reynard the Fox [KN | Dark Comedy | Folklore]

#1 Post by SexBomb »

Ye may be a thief or murderous scum,
Ye may be a traitor and liar,
But sit ye down and listen, chum,
To whom the most sinful aspire!

From the greatest, God-fearing, most pious of heart,
To the vile at whom the church gawks;
He's the quickest of wit, ye shall never outsmart
Wicked Reynard, the Villainous Fox!
"'Reynard' (Reginhard) means absolutely hard, a hardened evil-doer whom there is no turning from his way."
-Henry Morley, The History of Reynard the Fox
Genre:
  • Dark Comedy, Fantasy, Folklore, Kinetic Novel
Synopsis:
  • Assemble, good animals of His Majesty's court, and bear witness to the trial of Reynard the Fox! Reynard the Fox has been called to stand before the court on charges of homicide, adultery, treason, and more. If he is found guilty in the eyes of the king, he will surely be hanged until dead!
Characters:
  • Reynard the Fox - The defendant and unlikely hero of our tale; on trial for murder, attempted murder, adultery, general mischief, et al... absolutely the worst. Seriously, there is nothing redeemable about him whatsoever. Complete scum.
    His Majesty the Lion - King of all animals, His Majesty acts as jurisprudence in the trial against Reynard. Unfortunately for Reynard, the king holds a bit of a bias, himself...
    Isengrim the Wolf - Reynard's uncle, and the first witness to speak against him. A big, burly, brute of a man, this wolf-in-wolf's-clothing would rather solve his problems with fist and fang.
    Chanticleer the Rooster - With his beautiful voice and harem of chicks, Chanticleer has a lot to crow about... but what is he supposed to cock-a-doodle-doo about Reynard, who keeps sneaking into his henhouse?
    Tybert the Cat - A tactful and introverted acquaintance of Reynard's, and the only animal to come to his defense... Well, at first. What's the saying? An eye for an eye?
    Bruin the Bear - Bailiff to the king, and constant casualty of Reynard's insidious schemes. He has seen the fox come and go through court many times, and yearns for justice to be swiftly served.
    Father Mertynet the Stag - Local priest and farmer. God is merciful and forgiving, but when it comes to Reynard, the good father sure wouldn't object an eternity in Hell. Praise be!
Anticipated Features:
  • Linear narrative
    2-4 hours gameplay
    5+ Unique CG scenes
    Specially composed music
    Mild gore and adult themes
    Uniquely illustrated animal sprites
    Hilarious cast of ridiculous characters
Progress:
  • Outline - 100%
    Logo - 100%
    Script - 0%
    CG Scenes - 0%
    GUI/Design - 0%
    Music Composition - 0%
    Character Designs - 10%
    Character Sprites - 0%
    Programming - 0%
Current Team:
  • SexBomb - Right now it's just me; acting as artist, writer, and developer. Hoping to hire/recruit/credit others as progress continues.
The Unknown:
  • Will this project be free or commercial? - I am currently toying with the ideas of both free and commercial. I enjoy the accessibility of free, but I am also planning to pour plenty of my own time, money, and resources into this short project. Because of this project's small scale, if I decide to take it the commercial route, it won't be more than $1.00 or $2.00 USD, and I would not anticipate hefty income.
    What platforms will this project be released on? - Windows is the only assured platform at this time. I will consider other platforms as the project progresses and I familiarize myself with the visual novel format.
  • What about this project interests you?
    Are you intrigued by the premise and characters?
    Are you interested in a kinetic novel exclusively featuring animals?
    Which initial idea(s) do you think could be improved upon at this stage?
    Are there any additional features you would like to see implemented in this small project?
    Suggestions, comments, questions, criticism?
Updates:
  • 10.9.2016 - sketch update: getting a feel for sprite posing and first-pass character designs (Reynard, The King, Isengrim)
Last edited by SexBomb on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: The Trial of Reynard the Fox [KN | Dark Comedy | Folklor

#2 Post by Zelan »

What about this project interests you?: The characters and the conflict. Reynard is described as the protagonist of the story, but if he's on trial... how does he weasel himself out of it? Or does he fail and get sentenced to the death? (I'd prefer the first one as I rather like happy endings, but if you could pull off a somewhat meaningful death ending I would still enjoy it.)
Are you intrigued by the premise and characters?: I believe I answered that above. ^_^ Yup, very interested.
Are you interested in a kinetic novel exclusively featuring animals?: I tend not to play KNs, but there are a few exceptions, and so far it seems like this will be one of them. As for exclusively featuring animals, I don't see why not. I followed the Warriors series for 7 years of my life. cx
Which initial idea(s) do you think could be improved upon at this stage?: There isn't a lot for me to go on right now in terms of the synopsis, so this question is difficult to answer. I am curious as to whether the whole thing will be one long, unbroken courtroom scene, or if the courtroom will be only the main focus but there are scenes elsewhere as well. (For example: Reynard's capture, the jail, courtroom, day ends and back to jail, courtroom, Reynard attempts to escape but fails, jail, courtroom...) Putting in a little more detail about that just to give the readers a general sense of the setting(s) is probably a good idea.
Are there any additional features you would like to see implemented in this small project?: A Mac release would be pretty nice, but I understand that it may take time for you to figure that out and it may not be possible.
Suggestions, comments, questions, criticism?: Small thing: regarding the poem at the top of the post (I'm assuming that you wrote it), the meter of the first line is a little off. I think removing the word "cheat" would make it less awkward. That aside, though, the rhyming is phenomenal.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#3 Post by wyverngem »

What about this project interests you?
The title actually caught my eye in the form, and the fact that it's a KN.

A bit. I'd have to know more about how the kinetic game is presented to the reader. Are you going to heavily base it on static images that tell the story like a picture book with large written descriptions or base it more on sprite and dialogue back and forth.

The story is the part that always interest me. I'm interested in more of of sketches for these characters and how they will be personified.

I'd like to see some sketch work for this game; sprites, screen ideas for the story, etc.

Are there any additional features you would like to see implemented in this small project?
What kind of features do you mean? I think it might be nice to have a character and synopsis as part of the menu as you read through the story. Otherwise I'm not sure what you're asking.

I like the fox. Good luck with the project and hope it goes well. What do you think it average word count will be in the end?

SexBomb
Regular

#4 Post by SexBomb »

Thank you for the interest and critique, Zelan and wyverngem!
Are you interested in a kinetic novel exclusively featuring animals?: I tend not to play KNs, but there are a few exceptions, and so far it seems like this will be one of them. As for exclusively featuring animals, I don't see why not.
Thanks Zelan, I'm actually right there with you... Not usually a fan of KNs, but for a story like this, it feels more doable than a full-blown VN. Plus, as this will be my first solo project, I feel a KN is a good starting point. :)
I am curious as to whether the whole thing will be one long, unbroken courtroom scene, or if the courtroom will be only the main focus but there are scenes elsewhere as well.
My current idea is to keep it as one long courtroom scene, with a few minor breaks. There will of course be CGs, some of which are based on past events in which Reynard has terrorized his victims, and a few that take place in the courtroom. Thanks for the suggestion on updating the thread to include this; I definitely will when I make an update post!
Small thing: regarding the poem at the top of the post (I'm assuming that you wrote it), the meter of the first line is a little off. I think removing the word "cheat" would make it less awkward. That aside, though, the rhyming is phenomenal.
Thank you for pointing this out! Yes, I did write the poem myself, but I definitely do not consider myself a poet, so I appreciate your advice. I will definitely fix this in my update as well. Thanks, Zelan!
The title actually caught my eye in the form, and the fact that it's a KN.
I'm glad the title caught your attention, wyverngem. Here's hoping future updates do, too!
Are you going to heavily base it on static images that tell the story like a picture book with large written descriptions or base it more on sprite and dialogue back and forth.
This KN is definitely going to be heavily sprite-based, with extensive and comedic back-and-fourth dialogue.
I'd like to see some sketch work for this game; sprites, screen ideas for the story, etc.
Character designs are absolutely coming in my next update... Unfortunately, I have been quite busy with paying commission work. My hope is I will have something to post by the end of the week.
What do you think it average word count will be in the end?
Noooo idea, at this stage. I'm shooting for 2-4 hours of reading time, but in terms of word count, I'm not going to have a good idea until I start writing the script, which is hopefully going to come soon.

Thanks again for your interest!

SexBomb
Regular

#5 Post by SexBomb »

Howdy, folks! I have been extremely busy with paying work lately (guess I can't complain too much) but I'm here with a small update. It's taken a while, but I have only just gotten around to sketching out some ideas for character designs and sprite poses. Right now I've mostly been toying with Reynard the Fox himself, His Majesty the King, and Isengrim the Wolf. As I get further along in the process, I will of course be transferring my designs to digital colour... but for now, enjoy some messy pencil! Remember, these are first pass sketches... A lot is going to change before I finalize the sprites. Right now I'm just getting some ideas out there!

Some new feedback questions:
  • How do you feel about the art style?
  • Do you find the character designs appealing?
  • Is emotion and personality conveyed well in the art?
  • Do the characters look like the animals they are supposed to be?
  • Do you think the animals should be clothed/dressed in the final product?
Thanks guys! I know I have a lot more work to do to even get this project off the ground, but your feedback definitely helps. I do have a bit more paying work to get through before I can continue with this project, but please know I'm not about to give it up. In the brief intervals I am allowed to work on it, I'm having way too much fun. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by SexBomb on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#6 Post by Fuseblower »

Looks great sexbomb.

I'm not too sure about the lion's crown though. Having those spiky things coming out of his manes doesn't read that well, in my opinion. How about giving him a small English crown that is simply put on top of his manes? It could open up some comedy opportunities like having it hang from one of his ears, for example. Speaking of ears : I'd give him round ears (lions do have round ears). It creates more contrast with the other animals too.

I like the art style very much. It has good construction and appeal. They do look like the animals they're supposed to be. I don't think they should be clothed (apart from the crown on the lion's head, of course).

SexBomb
Regular

#7 Post by SexBomb »

Thanks for the feedback, Fuseblower!

I completely agree about the lion's crown... It actually came as an afterthought once I'd already drawn in the mane, so I just kind of improvised for the time being. A small crown atop his mane could definitely work; I will have to play around with it. Might be just a little sillier than what I'm going for, but as you mention, it would create lots of opportunity to show personality and emotion with little effort.

I'm also very happy to hear you find the art style appealing. Thanks again!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#8 Post by Zelan »

I love the sketches, especially the headshot of Reynard - that expression is amazing.

His Majesty reminds me a little bit of Mufasa, but also of King Leonardo from that one bit that used to sometimes air in between episodes of the 60s Underdog cartoon.

I disagree with Fuseblower on the clothes - I like what Reynard's wearing in the illustration in the first post, and if they're advanced enough to have a courtroom, I feel like they'd probably have clothing, too. I agree about the lion's ears and crown, though.

SexBomb
Regular

#9 Post by SexBomb »

Thanks so much, Zelan. That Reynard expression is definitely my favourite as well! I'm already trying to figure out how to adapt it to a digital sprite...

I was trying to go for round(ish) ears for His Majesty, but you and Fuseblower are right... I'm not quite there. Hopefully my next draft will be little more defined. And thanks for the input on clothing... I'm leaning toward it, but am a little hesitant as it would mean lot of additional research and illustration. In the grand scheme of things, however, it's probably worth it.

You've been a great help, thanks for keeping up with the project. I look forward to your input on future updates!

[P.S. I was trying to go for more of a King Richard vibe (Disney's Robin Hood), but inevitably, every single lion I draw ends up looking vaguely like Mufasa........ I'm cursed!]

juunishi master
Regular
Organization: Linemancer Works
itch: juunishi-master

#10 Post by juunishi master »

Animals? Checked.
Interesting story? Checked.
Beautiful sprite? Checked.

Yep, as I mentioned above. Especially because the main character is the one in trial for crimes.

Sure. Though, I can say I'm not into furry (the anthromorphic ones) genre, I have ... what it's called? Tolerance? Like, I don't want to play game A because the characters are furry, but I want to play game B because it features badass-looking furry. I really based my decision on the looks, yeah.

(Is Armello could be considered having furry characters too? I'm into that game.)

Seeing your sprite, btw, I'd be more than interested.

Everything's good as far as I could see.

I was about to suggest "timed-choice", but I don't really think it's that important. Put it in the lowest priority. :P It's a "nice to have" thing.

People above me already commented about the king's crown, which I agree with using small crown (oh, maybe the design could be more "forest"-ish rather than "common crown" wears by human?)

SexBomb
Regular

#11 Post by SexBomb »

Thanks so much, juunishi master!

To be honest, I'm not really into the whole anthro thing either... But I love drawing animals, and I haven't seen a whole lot of VNs/KNs featuring a full animal cast. I also thought it might help prevent me from getting too burnt out on drawing human sprites...

I'm glad you like my sprite ideas so far. Hopefully I will be able to really bring forth my best when I get closer to finalizing the art assets. I will definitely be changing the king's crown. I love Fuseblower's idea of a small, comedic crown, so that will be my next test for His Majesty's sprite.

I appreciate the input!

sgt_pugs
Projects: Vlad's Home for Wayward Vampires, Spot's Last Stop
Tumblr: stonepugstudios
Deviantart: stonepugstudios
itch: stonepug

#12 Post by sgt_pugs »

I like the initial concept and artwork. It reminds me a little of The Wind in the Willows, I think that victorian/ turn of the century English style folk tale would work well for a kinetic novel. (This is the feel I'm getting from the art and description, obviously you will add your own spin!)

I assume that Reynard will be the roguish but ultimately endearing antihero? It would be interested in seeing an arc where Reynard has to prove himself, and the other characters intentions become clear over time.

yes. I think the medium lends itself well to fantastical fairy tale like stories with animals :)

Although the characters sound intriguing and the art is great, I would like to see a log line that summarizes the conflict and 'hook' of the story.

Will you be able to question witnesses? Will there be choices? Or will it be relatively linear/ kinetic? I think choices could be woven into the courtroom mechanic really well.

Good luck! I'm interested in hearing more about this project.

SexBomb
Regular

#13 Post by SexBomb »

Thanks for your feedback, sgt_pugs!
I assume that Reynard will be the roguish but ultimately endearing antihero? It would be interested in seeing an arc where Reynard has to prove himself, and the other characters intentions become clear over time.
Actually, the idea I am currently running with (and the one that stays most true to the original material) is that Reynard is just a terrible, awful, no good, horrible creature with no redemption arc. He is pure evil from start to finish, and the goal is to persuade the player to root for the other animals... after all, we don't want to see Reynard get away with it!
Will you be able to question witnesses? Will there be choices? Or will it be relatively linear/ kinetic? I think choices could be woven into the courtroom mechanic really well.
It will definitely be linear and fairly kinetic... I have considered adding in some choices in regards to presenting evidence and questioning the witnesses, but as this is really my first Ren'Py project and I'm doing most of the work alone I'm trying to keep it fairly simple. It would be a fantastic idea, somewhat in the spirit of Phoenix Wright I imagine, but I'm just not sure about the practicality... at least not this early on.

Thanks again!

sicklesium
Regular
Projects: Solemn Dirge
Organization: Virus Alpha Studios
Tumblr: keiyuh

#14 Post by sicklesium »

Honestly, this is one of the most looked forward to VNs on my watchlist. It looks soooo cool and is right up my alley! I really cannot wait for it!!!

How do you feel about the art style? - It reminds me of Disney, but with its own touch. Which isn't so bad, you know? It really has personality.
Do you find the character designs appealing? - Yes!
Is emotion and personality conveyed well in the art? - SO much! I can tell exactly what they are thinking. You're very talented with that!
Do the characters look like the animals they are supposed to be? - To me, the wolf looks a liiiittle too similar to Reynard. I know they're supposed to be similar, since wolves and foxes are distantly related after all. Perhaps it'll look a lot different in color.
Do you think the animals should be clothed/dressed in the final product? - If they're going to stand on two legs, I personally feel like they should have some sort of clothing. It doesn't have to be full clothing. Even just a hat or gloves or some sort!

Anyway. I'm still very looking forward to this!

SexBomb
Regular

#15 Post by SexBomb »

Thanks, sicklesium!

Unfortunately production has slowed quite a bit for the time being, but I'm still planning to carry through with it... I'm hoping to get some good work done on it during NaNoRenO, but we'll see how that all goes.

I'm glad you find it so engaging! I agree with you about the fox vs the wolf, and will definitely work on improving that. In future drafts I'm hoping to make Isengrim much more buff, as opposed to Reynard's more delicate frame. Colour will definitely help differentiate them.

I have pretty much decided to do some amount of clothing, but I will have to play around more with what works. As you mention, I'm considering simple accessories rather than full-on outfits, but a lot of it will depend on what actually looks good on the sprites.

Thanks so much for your feedback!