Hybrid Theory [Modern Fantasy][Non-Romantic]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Sami-Fire
Regular
Tumblr: execdreamcycle
Deviantart: Sami-Fire
Soundcloud: Sami-Fire

Hybrid Theory [Modern Fantasy][Non-Romantic]

#1 Post by Sami-Fire »

Welcome to the Idea thread for Hybrid Theory! Let's get down to the meat of the matter.

What is Hybrid Theory?:

Hybrid Theory is a Visual Novel taking place in a world where monsters and humans live together peacefully. The plot focuses on Melia, a half-monster hybrid girl born after monsters left the pocket dimension they were sealed in long ago (the Sealed World). She lives in the first town the monsters created after leaving the Sealed World, putting her in close proximity to a lot of monsters and people who were important in the Sealed World. One September, before school starts again, Melia's parents give her the freedom to roam the town as she pleases and get to know the people in it better. It seems like a good time, but it turns out that there's quite a bit that she doesn't know about the world she lives in, or even about the people she sees every day.

That's not all. A being known simply as the Entity has begun to manipulate the world in ways that seem beneficial but bring about unintended consequences. Someone is aware that something is wrong, and that someone is determined to steer the world onto a path of true happiness... but will that have even worse consequences than the Entity's modifications?

Features I'm Aiming For:

- At least 4 routes and endings (route endings may feature variations). These are not romantic endings, as the player-controlled character is quite a bit younger than the potential "interests." As of this moment, the four routes belong to Caleb, Arciel, Fenne, and Serge.

- Something that keeps track of how many times you've played the game and what endings you've gotten, which will lead to...

- A "True Fate" mode, with a dramatically different story to tell. (Don't get excited about this yet, I want to finish the main mode first!)

Currently working on:
Bouncing between getting the script further ahead and doing the character sprites. Once the character art and the expressions are at least mostly done, I'd like to release a short demo with at least the introductory segments (and maybe the very beginning of Caleb's route depending on where the script is at) so that people can ask questions before I get too far and forget.

A note on progress: this project was intended to be one I could work on at my own pace, carefully measured out so that I wouldn't get overwhelmed and have the project die of burnout. There may be gaps where the rate of work becomes inconsistent due to life events. The biggest reason I am not outsourcing any work to outside parties just yet is to avoid pressure to work too fast. Also, working on everything myself gives me a better idea of what exactly I need. Please exercise some patience; I will try to post updates as often as I can.

Progress:

Script: Not Enough/100%
- I've only just completed the introductory segments for each character, so I'm afraid that not much has been done yet (hey, Lint says I'm at just under 5900 words total, that's got to be something!). This is one of the big reasons I'm posting in Ideas and not Works in Progress. I plan to do the main routes one at a time, starting with Caleb's route (watch as I end up jumping around between routes anyway).

Art Assets: 20ish%/100%
- Three characters still need their bases drawn. All of these characters still need their expressions done. I've got my work cut out for me. Oh, right, and CGs, those are a thing I need. It'll probably be a while before I approach 50% here, given all the characters and expressions that are needed. I may also draw the backgrounds eventually, because there's some stuff that I'm just not going to be able to do with stock photos.

Music: Filling Out As I Go/100%
- Chiefly using Royalty-Free music for now. There are two specific songs that I'd like to commission, but they won't be needed for a while (and also I can't afford them at this moment).

The Cast:

I've divided the cast into multiple sections for your perusal.

A note about the art: I know that the art is really rough, but please be polite about it. I might see about replacing the art assets towards the end of the project (which will be a whiiiile from now).

The "Kids":
Full Size here
From left to right:

Melia: The main character. She's a half-monster with a human mother and a "Bosskin" father. Though she has only been alive for 4 years, her half-monster heritage has caused her to age oddly, so she has the body and mind of a 13 year old. Generally bright, adventurous, and curious, but can sometimes be a little too nosy in her pursuit of secrets. Also has a bit of a rebellious streak towards her mother.

Fenne: A young woman known as a hero to the monsters of the Sealed World. When she was 10, circumstances caused her to run away from home and eventually get lost in the Sealed World. It was her kindness and steadfast refusal to fight anyone that eventually lead to the gate of the Sealed World being opened peacefully. Nowadays, she's the official ambassador for the monsters to the humans. At 18, she seems happy with the way her life has turned out, but it also seems that there's a lot she's hiding.

Arciel: The former prince of the Sealed World's royal family (before they became just a normal family). He's a friendly, easygoing sort who does his best to care for everyone. He was actually dead for quite some time before Fenne landed in the Sealed world; the Entity brought him back to life after Fenne opened the gate. He still has some concerns over being so "casually" resurrected. He's 17 years old; his nature as a monster means that he'll be stuck at that physical age for a while. He was 9 years old when he first met Caleb, and when he was resurrected.

Caleb: Arciel's adoptive brother; the royal family of the Sealed World took him in when he wandered through the gate and couldn't leave. As a child, he was fiercely angry at the world, to the point of scheming to pass through the barrier and annihilate his village. He died in the same incident that cost Arciel his life; he was resurrected not long after Arciel was. Now that he's older, he struggles with his inability to "love the world" like he thinks his friends do; when he's not being dryly teasing, he tends to be quite melancholy. He was 11 years old when he first went through the gate long ago, and he was resurrected at that age. He's 19 now.

The Adults:
Full size here
From left to right:

Serge: A mummy-like monster whose cool head is only matched by his refusal to do anything productive. Instead of patrolling the town with his brother, he runs a hot dog stand. Has a philosophical side and is fiercely defensive over his brother. Notorious for having hidden depths.

Peter: Serge's younger brother. Loud and cheery, he tries to urge Serge to action (and doesn't normally succeed). He is good at following instructions and takes patrolling and helping Fenne with her ambassador work very seriously. Though he seems a bit immature, he has talents of his own.

Esci: The former royal scientist of the Sealed World. A bit nervous and very easily embarrassed. She designed a robot, Positon, who became a famous TV star after leaving the Sealed World. She wishes he'd at least write every once in a while. Engaged to Dynah.

Dynah: A fierce Angelerfish warrior who led the Royal Guard in the Sealed World. She's loud, brash, and loves to tease just as much as she enjoys throwing disproportionately heavy objects around. She loves Esci very much and tends to slather on the affectionate gestures, much to Esci's embarrassment. Engaged to Esci.

(I know Esci and Dynah aren't shaded. I'll fix that eventually.)

Still to come: The Parents. Includes Melia's mother and father and Arciel's parents.

Screenshots:

Waiting a bit before I post these. They'll come, though, don't worry.

Current questions for discussion:

With that done, I've got some questions to kick off discussion. General comments are, of course, welcome, but here's a few things to get everyone started:

- Does anything in particular catch your eye about this project? If so, what did? If not, what do you think is missing?

- Is there any kind of story element you would like to see in a story like this (whether you define "stories like these" as ones involving monsters, fantasy stories, etc.)?

- What questions do you have about the setting or the characters? (Some may be answered when the brief demo comes out.)

-New-

- When playing visual novels, do you like to be locked onto a character's route quickly, and then have lots of variations within that route? Or do you prefer to explore and then have your route determined by what you did after a set period of time?

Updates:

9/30: Edited the first post to clarify some elements. Added a discussion question about routes.

Thanks for stopping by!
Last edited by Sami-Fire on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Hybrid Theory [Modern Fantasy][Non-Romantic]

#2 Post by indoneko »

1. For a "modern" setting, the human's intervention in the monster's world should be enormous (considering that the gate has been officially opened for a quite long period), yet you only have Fenne as important human figure in your story. This might be okay if the setting was purely magical like anime "Astarotte no Omocha" (which use a magical gate that only certain persons can enter), but if it was more like anime "Gate" then it would feel like something is missing...

2. I'd like to see the unique culture(s) of the monster's world; be it their language, custom, food, religion, technology, etc.

3. How big is the sealed world compared to the "human" world (or even to our real world)? How many nations are living in there? How do people/monster use the gate? (or is it even allowed to travel between the world casually?)
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#3 Post by Shinoki »

- Does anything in particular catch your eye about this project? If so, what did? If not, what do you think is missing?

The concept seems unique enough. At least in the visual novel community?

- Is there any kind of story element you would like to see in a story like this (whether you define "stories like these" as ones involving monsters, fantasy stories, etc.)?

I kind of expect someone to die, in one route or another, but that's kind of depressing, so it really depends on the mood of the story in general.

- What questions do you have about the setting or the characters? (Some may be answered when the brief demo comes out.)

I just wanted to say that some of the designs are rather Undertale-esque.

Melia's whole aging thing is a bit weird. So, she's mentally 4 years old, but her body is that of a 13 year old?

Skiyoshi
Projects: Gijinka Circus, Slime Witch
Deviantart: skiyoshi
Soundcloud: nephilim113

#4 Post by Skiyoshi »

It seems very much like Undertale.

Usually death, sacrifice, or in depth explanation of the setting.

Were you inspired by Undertale?

Sami-Fire
Regular

#5 Post by Sami-Fire »

Hello again, everybody! Sorry for being absent- I set up to be notified in case of replies, but for some reason I got no notifications.

Progress has been a bit slow over the past few days, but it'll kick back up soon. Need a break from drawing, so I might as well keep the writing coming.

To address some common veins I'm seeing here: yes, I was inspired by Undertale. However, Hybrid Theory will have enough unique concepts to it that it won't be Undertale with the serial numbers filed off. There are some concepts I'd like to play with on my own terms, hence the original setting. Also, I'm surprised to see that so many of you are expecting death. The mood of the "main" story is on the lighter side with a few dark dips here and there, but the "true" story that will come later will be a bit darker overall.

To address some specific things:

@indoneko: You've asked some good questions. I'll keep them in mind as I write; I did want to cover the culture anyway. Thank you!

@Shinoki: Melia was born 4 years prior to the story, but she aged quickly due to some element of being a human/monster mix, so she has the mind and body of a 13 year old (and she hates being reminded that she's technically only 4). It has actually made schooling a little difficult for her, though her aging has slowed down to a normal human rate for now.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#6 Post by Zelan »

I'd suggest altering the description of Melia's age; Shinoki expressed confusion over its description, and I didn't properly understand it, either. Try something like "She's been alive for 4 years, but her half-monster heritage has caused her to age oddly, so she has approximately the body and mentality of a 13-year-old."

Upon initially reading your premise, I was confused as to why Melia had gone so long without meeting everyone else in the town, but your further explanation of her age negated that concern.

Be careful with the "True Fate" mode. There are a lot of players who dislike being told that one ending is "canon" over several others; however, there are definitely ways where you can lessen the chances of that. Taarradhin is a good example of a true ending done well.

If Fenne is still a young woman (listed under "The Kids," no less), just how young was she when gate to the Sealed World was first opened, and how old is she now? I find it unlikely that the entire world could come to accept the existence of monsters in such a short time period. This one town, maybe, given a few years, but there would definitely still be people in the world who would be prejudiced against monsters (and perhaps not for unfounded reasons; it's entirely possible that a less reserved monster might have harmed someone). Keep this in mind when writing. There might no longer be conflicts between monsters and humans in this particular town, but there are probably parts of the world where they are not so welcome. If you want the world as a whole to be more accepting of the presence of these monsters, you may need to dramatically increase Fenne's age.

How does Arciel's family feel about becoming just a "normal family?" Why didn't they keep their old title and stay in their old realm?

Which four characters are planned to have routes?
Last edited by Zelan on Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sami-Fire
Regular

#7 Post by Sami-Fire »

Popping in with small updates. I tweaked some things in the opening post; hopefully some things will be a bit less confusing. The "kids" are basically referred to as such because they were still young during crucial events (the unsealing of the Sealed World and the period of time after when Arciel and Caleb were resurrected). Also, the four routes currently belong to Caleb, Fenne, Arciel, and Serge.

The town is actually predominantly populated by monsters, as they were the ones who founded it after leaving the Sealed World. Some have spread further than the town's area (see: Positon, who is actually more of a cyborg monster than a robot; I'll fix that tiny blurb up later), but right now the majority of monsters live in that area.

Arciel's family completely agreed to giving up their titles and living normally in the outside world. No one is left in the Sealed World (not permanently, anyway; you do have a few people who go back for historical reasons), and Rigel (Arciel's father and the former king of monsters) figured that it would be difficult for him to maintain his authority in the outside world due to the influence of humans and the possible spread of monsters across the world. However, I'm considering revising that a bit so that the royal family does still have some authority over monsters, and they regularly meet with policy makers to ensure that monsters aren't being discriminated against. (That actually seems to be a better route; they're a "normal" family in the sense that they no longer have a castle or fancy royal accoutrements, but other than that they still have a measure of power.)

Also, here's a new discussion question, because it occurred to me as I started plucking away at Caleb's route: When playing visual novels, do you like to be locked onto a character's route quickly or directly pick it, and then have lots of variations within that route? Or do you prefer to explore and then have your route determined by what you did after a set period of time? I've seen both tactics done in various places and I'd like to get some opinions on them.

juunishi master
Regular
Organization: Linemancer Works
itch: juunishi-master

#8 Post by juunishi master »

Well, I'm here commenting, so there IS something catch my eye about this project. :wink:

I, especially, interested in the characters lineup and the setting. (I haven't played Undertale, so I might miss something here and there.)

Hmm, I'd like to see what makes each monsters differ from one to another. Like, all fish monsters are vegan and they set up their village near water bodies, etc, etc. Maybe you can even explore their language/speech pattern further too. Many possibilities for the monsters (and the hybrids too).

Several posts already mentioned about the "Undertale-ish" design. Welp, I haven't played Undertale, but I have concern about the reaction from the creator himself (I remember his post about please not making Undertale fan-merchandise and sell it, CMIIW) and fans and players who play this game in the future but didn't join this discussion. Fans could be harsh sometimes ...

- When playing visual novels, do you like to be locked onto a character's route quickly, and then have lots of variations within that route? Or do you prefer to explore and then have your route determined by what you did after a set period of time?
Oh, I'm okay with both. Both has its own fun point (at least for me).