her mouth is full of sharp teeth [romance/horror/fantasy]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
melolee
Projects: her mouth is full of sharp teeth

her mouth is full of sharp teeth [romance/horror/fantasy]

#1 Post by melolee »

her mouth is full of sharp teeth
(lesbian cannibal mermaids visual novel)
DEVELOPMENT BLOG: Link

GENRE: Romance, Horror, Fantasy/Fairy Tale. Mild Gore. Girl x Boy. Girl x Girl. The "romance" is debatable.

SYNOPSIS: Accompanied by her loyal servant Edgar, Princess Delilah sets off on a journey across the sea to meet her husband-to-be, the wealthy Prince Giles. But when she learns that Giles has been married six times before and that each wife has met a mysterious and untimely end, Delilah scrambles to save herself. The strange mermaid she befriends might hold the key to her salvation...but the price is high.

CHARACTERS:
  • Delilah: The heroine of our tale. Sweet, self-sacrificing, and kind...up to a point. Delilah's willing to be bought for the good of her country, but she draws the line at dying for it.
    Edgar: Delilah describes him as her "faithful companion." He thinks this makes him sound like a dog. He hopes Delilah doesn't think of him as one.
    The Mermaid: The monster of legend, there's nothing she loves so much as the taste of human flesh. But even monsters can fall in love, if you have the stomach for it.
    Giles: Prince Giles' appetite for flesh rivals that of his rumored ancestor, the mermaid. He might not eat his victims, but no one knows exactly what he does with them either.
PROGRESS
  • Outline: Completed
    Script: 30%
    Backgrounds: 0%
    Character Designs: 0%
    Character Sprites: 0%
    Programming: 10%
    GUI: 0%
her mouth is full of sharp teeth (working title; often referred to as "lesbian cannibal mermaids" instead) began life as a short story I shopped out to a couple magazines. Sadly but not surprisingly, it went nowhere, and it languished in my writing folder until I decided to pick it up and rework it as a visual novel.

The game is being developed entirely by me. My previous involvement with visual novels is limited to reviewing a few of them for some websites and I wrote the summary for Romance Detective. That is pretty much it. her mouth is full of sharp teeth is very much a learning process for me as I feel out Ren'Py, and as such I'm primarily looking for feedback, criticism, and advice. I plan on releasing it for free via itch.io and using what I learn to make a much longer and more complex game. The estimated game length is 1 hour; maybe 2, if you read slowly. Due to my lack of experience, I'm limiting the game to only two choices with three planned endings. I'm not a particularly strong visual artist, so you'll probably see me in the art forum as well, asking for advice there too.

WRITING SAMPLE
Once there was a prince who fell in love with a mermaid.

She ate human food and obeyed human rules, and she wore human clothing and slept in a human bed.

When she bore his children, the prince made her his wife and his queen.

But the prince's heart was as fickle as any human's. His love for his immortal wife waned and his eyes turned elsewhere.

A human wife may have closed her eyes and born his infidelity patiently, secure in the knowledge that he would return. She may have accepted the humiliation as the price of being queen.

But what did a mermaid understand of the human heart?

What did a mermaid care for human power?

She had given up her home for his sake. Her husband had broken their marriage vows, so she believed it was time to return.

But she made sure he wouldn't stray.

His heart, she ate while he slept in their marriage bed.

The rest of him, she saved for their new home.

And he never left her.
FEEDBACK
  • Is this something you would like to play?
    What idea do you think could be improved in the initial stages?
    All three endings involve character death, some gorier than others, and it is arguable that none of the endings are "good." Is this something that would upset you or make you feel cheated if you played the game to completion?
    Do you have any advice for a first timer?
UPDATES
  • 10/15/2016 -- Preliminary sketches of Delilah and the mermaid
Last edited by melolee on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: her mouth is full of sharp teeth [romance/horror/fantasy

#2 Post by Zelan »

But she made sure he wouldn't stray.

Her heart, she ate while he slept in their marriage bed.

The rest of him, she saved for their new home.

And he never left her.
This part is confusing - have you mixed up some pronouns or am I just being dense?

melolee

#3 Post by melolee »

@Zelan: I mixed up the pronouns, thanks for pointing that out! It's been fixed. :)

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#4 Post by Shinoki »

Is this something you would like to play?

Yes! Lesbian cannibal mermaids? What type of wonderful thing is this? You got the gays, the violence, and the fantasy mushed into something unique and wonderful sounding (my vocab is unfortunately not as unique and wonderful).

What idea do you think could be improved in the initial stages?

No comment at the moment.

All three endings involve character death, some gorier than others, and it is arguable that none of the endings are "good." Is this something that would upset you or make you feel cheated if you played the game to completion?

I'm okay with depressing, dark, and or gory things. I mean, you do warn it, which makes it better. A decent amount of popular visual novels (Japanese ones) are edgy and dark and have only bitter-sweet at best endings.

Do you have any advice for a first timer?

Since I haven't properly made a game yet (accursed writers block), I can't say much. But, I shall salute you and wish you luck.

melolee

#5 Post by melolee »

@Shinoki: Thanks so much for your response! I like dark stories a lot, so obviously I need to check out some more Japanese visual novels, then! I'm glad to hear you think my idea is unique. The concept has been percolating for a while...hopefully its execution won't disappoint!

melolee

Update 10/15/16: First pass at character art!

#6 Post by melolee »

Quick update! Script is chugging along nicely but I was getting to the point where if I spent any more time in front of a computer I'd scream...so I did a little character art. These designs aren't really final, I was just trying to nail down the image of Delilah and the mermaid, plus I like being able to visualize my characters when I write about them. Enjoy some scribbles on the index cards. Eventually of course Delilah and the rest of our small cast will be polished up on the computer and colored. Right now though just getting some ideas out!
Attachments
delilah and the mermaid, early sketch
delilah and the mermaid, early sketch

Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

#7 Post by Catlip Candy »

I checked this thread out because the title is catchy. Yes, I would play this once it's finished. I'm up for dark stories and I love mermaids! After reading the sample script, it felt like it was The Little Mermaid story but after marrying the prince, their love story never met a happy ending.

So far it's good, I don't have anything to contribute, but I think you're doing a good job already. Besides, it's still an idea, and you probably have other ideas on your mind of how your story will turn out to be. Better ask for advice when you've hit a dead end on writing your story.

If it's going to be three endings only, will it be a short VN? And not all 'good endings' should be good. Maybe the best way to name it is the "true" ending, like, if writing a story, you already decide the major ending and just add branching paths to "other" endings. So I won't be upset about it. Others might be, but like Shinoki said, you did warn your readers, so that's good.

When I made my first VN, some players asked about one of my character's background story, like why he's displaying that attitude and what made him that way. That's the major problem among my characters (because I was never a good writer OTL) but I think your characters have a lot to tell, and I'm mostly interested about the mermaid. She seems so mysterious. Mermaids are always portrayed beautiful and smexy x3 but I just saw your sketch and I saw how she's absolutely gorgeous. Do you draw digitally? I hope so, it's not appealing to have characters drawn on paper in a VN. Well it's just a sketch, so sorry if I assumed it's going to be drawn on paper. If you need tons of advice, you can always go to the appropriate thread and write a post, and I'm sure the people here are going to give you lots of helpful advice.

Good luck on your first VN! I look forward to it~
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

UkiTheMaid
Completed: Demon Dinner Date
Organization: GhostGlow Productions

#8 Post by UkiTheMaid »

OK, I'm so down for this it isn't even funny!

I'll start following this thread immediately!
Although I don't have anything to contribute atm, since my own game ideas are sucking away all my creativity...