[GxB][GxG] RE∞frain ⦗ music, crime, romance, dark ⦘

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
otometea
Regular
Projects: Heart of Thorns
Tumblr: littleteahouse

[GxB][GxG] RE∞frain ⦗ music, crime, romance, dark ⦘

#1 Post by otometea »

RE∞frain
Based on: The Lost Children Behind Bars & Dream Festival.

There are the “dark secrets” in everything; including music.
Music, something “magical”, yet, not so much.
People with the darkest of secrets come together and unite.
Performing for the better good, they try to atone for their sins.

“From now on, you three will be referred to as ‘RE∞frain’. Why?
You come to the same thing; same result every time you try,
but somewhere deep inside your heart and soul…
you wish you could change.”

Characters
Elaine Katja "If you have nothing to do, then do your job."
  • Known by many as the “Frost Queen” for her sharp tongue and cold attitude, she is often mistreated and lonely. She is feared, and bears high expectations of those she works with. Her lack of emotions makes RE∞frain question her motives: why would she take on a job not suited for her? But, in truth, she may be the one that understands them the most.
Carter Logan "Could you pass me that little bottle over there?"
  • His suffers in the past has caused him to make bad decisions and end up in jail multiple times. Going through strong medications to keep his disorder he was diagnosed as a young boy in check, he tries to live a normal life. Though, if he forgot to take his medicine, really, really bad things would happen.
Ray Kiran "The truth is, I want to change. That's my goal, per se."
  • Somehow, he is able to fill himself with optimism, despite the fact that many don’t approach him because of his criminal background. It’s hard to believe that he has committed a crime in the first place. Though he does have his secrets he prefers to keep to himself. Elaine wonders what crime he could have committed; is he even a “criminal” in the first place?
Crystal Wayward "You disgust me."
  • A cynical and quiet girl, she rarely speaks to others. She seems to hold a strong grudge towards her parents especially, and she has a hard time trusting others she meets. In addition, she seems to despise Carter and Ray, even though she’s in the same idol group as them. She could never get over what happened to her and how she ended up confined, or so she thought.
Anna Wu "I'll give you the push you all need, but the rest is on you."
  • The young but smiley president of the institute/organization known as “Rise!!”. She strongly  believes that everybody should have the opportunity of getting a job, despite anything that might have happened in the past; that everybody should have a “second chance”.
Current Staff
* If you are interested in the project, feel free to send me a private message. Any help offered is great, though it is in early stages of development. I am prioritizing idea bouncing and sprite art at the moment.

Original Concept, Writer / Editor, Project Manager Otometea.
Features
* Some of these features are unofficial.

☆ Free to play.
☆ Approximately 41,000 words grand total.
☆ 7 endings.
☆ 8 CGs in the game + 1 main menu CG.
☆ 3 routes total: 2 romance and 1 friendship.
☆ Epilogues after 2 of the endings.
Questions!
* These questions are completely optional, but will help me get feedback from you to make this more enjoyable (and for me to actually have the motivation to finish this short game).

☆ What do you think of the premise of the story thus far?
☆ Based on description, who is your favorite character? Why?
☆ How much would you expect from a demo?
☆ Are there any other questions you have that you would like answered? Comments or concerns, possibly?
Check out more / Affiliated Projects!
Millennium of Tierra
  • After the war between angels and demons abruptly ended by Tierra by sealing away the Devil, everything resumed to be at peace. Ever since that day though, demons have vowed to bring their ruler, or Father, back to life. Bringing themselves into the Earth realm, they took on a humane physique and mingled amongst humans. Many become idols, feeding off of the energy and hype humans emit from live concerts they hold. Now, they are one step closer to reaching their lifelong goal.
Beauty and the Brothers
  • Alessandra DiAngelo ... runs DiAngelo Talent Agency along with her grandfather. ... She is a woman of little failures and has earned the respect and support of many people. The only thing she has failed in is love. ... Will she fall apart when she learns about a family secret, hidden for years? Will she be able to lead the boys to success and keep her company afloat? Or will she finally crumble under the pressures of the industry and lose her reputation? Most importantly, will she finally find love?
Holiday Lovers
  • She didn’t always think that mythical creatures were fake. In fact, she used to adore them, believe in them, and dream about them. However, when a school presentation turned sour, she was shamed and manipulated into believing that everything she thought she knew about her beloved legends was false. However, years later, she’s confronted by the same myths she once shunned - and for some reason, they’re asking her to help them restore their former glory.
Monlight Virgin
  • ... Ashe/Ashley...is the daughter of the Demon king, ruler of the underworld, making her the princess of the underworld. Her father is very old and has decided that he needs to step down as Demon king. So, he tells Ashley to choose between two boys... he found in the mortal realm/human world, who he deems worthy of becoming the next king of the underworld. So, Ashley’s father send her to the human world to go to school with these two boys and choose which one of them Ashley will marry and who will become the demon king. So, Ashley goes to the human world, and pretends to be a human living life as a “normal” human girl.
And more!
Last edited by otometea on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonya
Veteran
Completed: Café Rouge, Skights, High School Otome
Deviantart: winechan

Re: [GxB][GxG] RE∞frain ⦗ music, crime, romance, dark ⦘

#2 Post by Sonya »

Hey OtomeTea,

This looks awesome, I especially like the character's personalities for Elaine Katja and Crystal Wayward.

The idea of this sounds interesting, but I'm still confused on how the story works. Is RE-Frain 3 main characters you play as? That's what I'm confused about

I definitely like Elaine Katja since I can relate to her very much!

Maybe just the common route without any branching story. Since this is a short game, I wouldn't expect too long of a demo.

☆ Are there any other questions you have that you would like answered? Comments or concerns, possibly?
Nope, just good luck with the project idea!

And thanks for featuring "Moonlight Virgin" in your affiliated post! ^_^

otometea
Regular

#3 Post by otometea »

Sonya wrote:Hey OtomeTea,

This looks awesome, I especially like the character's personalities for Elaine Katja and Crystal Wayward.

The idea of this sounds interesting, but I'm still confused on how the story works. Is RE-Frain 3 main characters you play as? That's what I'm confused about

I definitely like Elaine Katja since I can relate to her very much!

Maybe just the common route without any branching story. Since this is a short game, I wouldn't expect too long of a demo.

Nope, just good luck with the project idea!

And thanks for featuring "Moonlight Virgin" in your affiliated post! ^_^
Hi, Sonya.

Yes, RE∞frain is the idol group that the three main characters have formed (by Anna), in an attempt to (1) earn money by having a job as an idol, and (2) to get over what they have went through in the past. I'm glad you like Elaine; I try to make her an original protagonist while still having her relatable. Crystal is pretty cold; she will unfortunately only be about half the length, as she will only act as a friendship route in the game's finale. It won't be too long; the demo then would probably be about 2 to 3k words, then. Thank you for the wishes; I take your words to heart. And your welcome; I believe the concept of Moonlight Virgin is interesting!

Thank you for your feedback!
Best,
otometea.

P.S.- Any other feedback from this community is really appreciated, big or small! Even leaving a small comment will help me a lot getting this game finished. Also, it will inform me more or less of what you want as well as the game reaches its final product.

aeri
Regular
Projects: Thereafter: A Medieval Life, What happens on camera doesn't always stay on camera, etc.
Organization: Meraki Tales
Tumblr: merakitales
itch: merakitales

#4 Post by aeri »

The overall story sounds interesting indeed. I think I got a slightly better idea of the story once I read the description on Anna Wu? So essentially, is she the teacher/coach for the RE∞frain group? (By the way, that is very clever how you make use of the word refrain for the story...chorus definitely wouldn't have the same feeling xD)

I would probably say Carter because his character doesn't have a fairly common description...not very much people dabble into disorders that influence their decision-making that leads to jailtime. Elaine, while she is a cool character, I feel like the frost queen idea is used fairly often. As long as she can stand out as a character and make an emotional connection in the story, she will be a lovable protagonist~ I'm not exactly sure how she fits into the RE∞frain story right now? It sounds like RE∞frain would actually comprise of 4 people unless I missed something in the summary? (Sorry if I did...! I sometimes skip over details or some things didn't sink into my brain yet).

Maybe about a five minute playtime? Enough content to attract our attention (and want to know more about the story) and to introduce the story :)

More out of curosity than anything, but will you be having any support characters? :) I don't know any of the stories that the game is based on, but is the end goal of the game something like graduating from the RE∞frain group in order to show proof that they are respronsible enough to handle a job despite what their background says? No need to answer if it's a potential spoiler ^ ^

This definitely looks like an interesting game and I may keep an eye out for it as the game progresses~ Good luck otometea!~

RedOwl
Regular
Projects: < /reality >
Tumblr: realityvn

#5 Post by RedOwl »

Honestly, I think it's extremely vague. I don't know what "The Lost Children Behind Bars & Dream Festival" are. So, while the premise alone is somewhat intriguing in a mysterious "what does that mean?" kind of way, it doesn't really make the setting clear at all - it doesn't give me much context for what to expect from the story. However, from your other post in this thread, I'm gathering that the story is about a group of idols with criminal pasts? I don't know if you want this to be intentionally unclear or not - but if not, I'd certainly recommend clarifying these critical story elements in the premise just a little (preferably without sabotaging the cool, mysterious feel of the current premise description).

The character descriptions are what drew me into this project. All of the characters sound like they have potential for depth and development. And they all seem to have some relatable traits. One thing I'd like to know is "who is Elaine?" why is she involved with this idol group? What's her role? Is she their manager?

Ray is my favorite from the descriptions so far, because I admire (and can relate to) people who have the ability to stay optimistic in the face of adversity.

I think that really depends on how fast the story progresses - what is your pacing like? If it's fast paced and things happen at a good rate, just a short demo (between 5-20 minutes) might be sufficient. If the story is slower paced, a bit more time might be necessary to really draw people in.

The order you listed the characters in confused me a bit. I was expecting the first three to be the three who are referred to as RE∞frain - because it sounded like these were the three main characters. But from the character descriptions, I'm gathering that RE∞frain is actually Crystal, Ray and Carter...

Good luck with the game, I definitely get the feeling that the idea has potential!
~Please give me Honest Critique!~

otometea
Regular

#6 Post by otometea »

@aeri
Thank you for your compliment; that means a lot to me. I agree; I did consider using chorus for a while, but then I figured that refrain would be better because of the way it is structured. I also agree that "Frost Queen" is used quite and too often; I will probably find an idea bouncer to come up with a better nickname, haha. I will keep what you say in mind; I take all words to heart. The idol group is comprised of 3 people: Carter, Ray, and Crystal. Elaine will be related to them, though that is still in its early thought & ideas process. Anna is a side character; her goal is for her to--without revealing so much about their pasts--let them lead a normal life without being discriminated because of their criminal background.

@RedOwl
Lost Children Behind Bars is a documentary, and Dream Festival is an anime. Hopefully, this clears a little bit of things up. I am intentionally making it unclear (vague and mysterious--more will be given at the demo though, so I'm sure you will get a hang of the story by then), though I can clarify anything if it doesn't give out major spoilers about the story. Ray went through a lot; even I'm impressed he can be optimistic, so I will try my utmost best to develop him and all the others well! Elaine is someone you will get to know too throughout the course of the story; she is a dynamic character, so hopefully she is relatable. The demo will probably be about 10-15 minutes worth of gameplay, I am guessing? I suppose we will have to wait and see. Thank you for your wishes; I will do my best to finish this game solid and strong, and hope to meet your expectations!

You sound a bit hesitant, but you are right. Just for future references and posts: Elaine is the main protagonist; the story will be told from her point of view. Carter, Ray, and Crystal are members of RE∞frain, struggling to get over their pasts through work as a singer, and Anna is a major side character; more side characters will be revealed later in development (those specific to certain routes).

If you have any feedback, please tell me: big or small. I will listen to you, and doing that gives me a lot of my motivation to plow through this game and finish it for all of you to play! So, please, giving me some of your time is greatly appreciated. If you do, I can also give you some of my time to give you feedback on a game you are working on / have completed as well! :-)