[Otome]【vampire-romance, dark fairytale】 My Eternal Rose

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
lumia
Regular

[Otome]【vampire-romance, dark fairytale】 My Eternal Rose

#1 Post by lumia »

Selene is a young woman who sells tea leaves and different types of herbs for a living.
She couldn’t have asked for a more happier life.
That is, until she encounters a mysterious girl named Angelica.
She is led into the depths of the forest by the hands of the mysterious girl.
There, she finds a big mansion she never thought was there initially.
When she meets the residents: Lucien, Rayne, Blair and Michalis,
she very soon realizes that she has bit off more than she can chew…
and it’s already too late to turn back.

“You’re not going anywhere, my pretty little Rose.”
Genres // Romance, vampire, drama, fantasy.
Endings // 8 endings (2 per character).
Rating // 16+, for mild violence and sexual content.
Platform(s) // Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Commercial or free? // Free.
Selene “Is there something I am missing… about myself, that is?”
  • A young tea-leaf and herb seller. She makes an effort to help others in need, and is famous around town for her kindness. Though, she is also sometimes naive and gullible, often believing lies easily. Though this is sometimes the case, she makes an effort to stay independent and not rely on others the best she can, as she doesn’t want to cause anybody trouble. In the mansion, she learns a lot more about herself... Just what secrets does she have within her?

Lucien “If you try to run away, the result will always be the same. So give up.”
  • Entitled the “King” of the mansion, his words are law. Though he is the “King”, he has rather short temper, and he often gets mad for no reason. He vents out his anger and irritation a lot at Selene, making her fear him, but every action he does, he always means well. However, Selene’s view on him completely changes one night… the night of the full moon.

Rayne “So I’m ‘naughty’. Does it really look like I care?”
  • Rayne is someone who couldn’t give an eye to life itself. He just does what he wants, hence receiving his title, the “Joker” in the mansion. He is usually able to come up with fairly witty comebacks, and so is nearly always the winner to an argument. Though he is the trickster of the mansion, he has a certain charisma to him, but he uses it to trick/prank others, but that’s his reputation as the “Joker”, no?

Blair “Hey, do you know the tale of ‘Romeo & Juliet’?”
  • Not only does he have the physique of a child, he also has a mind of a child… for the most part. It’s no wonder that he’s been entitled the “Baby” of the mansion. He has a never-ending love for fiction and fairy tales, especially those from antique times, such as Shakespeare. Despite ending rather tragically, Blair seems to have a love of the tale of Romeo & Juliet. When Selene asks why, Blair would only say, “Their love is the strongest.”

Michalis “It’s none of your business.”
  • Meticulous and efficient, Michalis is very strict not only on others, but on himself as well, and thus was entitled, the “Duke”. Selene is initially fearful of him because of his strict ways (and how he would scold at her if she did something slightly wrong), and whenever Selene attempts to get closer to him, it goes in vain every time when he coldly brushes her off, saying it’s none of her business.

??? “Those who shine the brightest often are filled with sins.”
  • Just who is this mysterious man?

Angelica “Yes, Master.”
  • Through her torturous experiences, she has lost all her humanity and her innocence at a very young age. She was enslaved by Lucien, and was given the blood of a vampire, thus gaining eternal life, but otherwise she is still human (she doesn't feed on blood). She is devoid of any emotions, and her answers are very brief, often “Yes, Master”. With her lack of emotion, anybody could take her for a doll more so than a human.
· The synopsis doesn't really sound interesting... What's the catch?
I can tell it's not very interesting, because it's pretty vague, I admit. However, the catch is that all the character's backstories are based on famous fairy tales and tales of fiction with a bit of twists going on. So, if you are into the dark fairy tale and fiction elements being thrown into a vampire-romance story, then I would try and give this game a try and a word of support. Thanks in advance to any supporters though!

· Is there going to be any “Easter Eggs” in the game, or those unlock pursuable characters?
I would love to do a secret pursuable character, as that sounds like fun. However, that would also mean I would have to come up with this person's existence if that were the case. He would also have to probably have a big purpose, or there would probably be little to no point in making him a pursuable character, much less an Easter egg secret character that is locked until certain conditions are met. However, if I come up with something good, I'll put it in!

· Is Angelica pursuable?
No (unfortunately?). Angelica is only a side character, but I am planning to have maybe a CG or two featuring her. The reason being is that I want to come up with a background that will help Selene get to know one of the main pursuable characters, which will most likely be Lucien, but I can't be sure this early into development. However, the catch is that these scenes will have to be unlocked (through choices you make in the game), so choose wisely if you want to spend some time with her and get some more information on one of the pursuable characters!

· Will there be any Kickstarter campaign when a demo is released?
Most likely not, because this is a completely free-to-play project. In all likelihood, it wouldn't really need a funding campaign. That, and planning a Kickstarter is a lot (coming up with rewards, shipping costs, different fees after the Kickstarter is done, etc.). I prefer that this project stays as simple as possible. However, if I do realize that money is in a really tight spot, then I just might consider doing a Kickstarter campaign. The key words are “just might”.

· Is it okay to volunteer?
Thank you, but to ensure that this game actually gets finished, I would like to do all the assets I am able to do myself (writing, basically) before reaching out to others. I may recruit some people on my own discretion (to possibly idea bounce with me), but otherwise, I would like to be on my own until I need the help to get various art assets done. I'll also be posting a recruitment post in Lemma, so when that's up and open, I will be sure to link it there, though it may be a long while until recruitment is open to everybody.
Project manager, lead writer Lumia Chai.
Assistant writer Cheryl Cornette.
Sprite & CG artist Itozuuu.
Composer & Sound Producer Felix Arifin.
Chibi artist Pii.
Programmer (1) Christopher Flowers.
Character theme composer Felix Arifin.
Idea bouncer Sapphire-Skillz
Logo artist Mama J.
Planning
◆◆◆◆◆◆◇◇◇◇
Drafting (demo)
◆◆◆◆◆◆◇◇◇◇
Drafting (full-game)
◆◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
Editing/Proofreading (demo)
◆◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
Editing/Proofreading (full-game)
◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
Sprites
◆◆◆◆◇◇◇◇◇◇
CGs
◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
Graphics
◆◆◆◆◆◇◇◇◇◇
Backgrounds
◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
Music
◆◆◆◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
Programming (demo)
◆◆◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
Programming (full-game)
◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
· Does the synopsis and premise (read the FAQ) interest you, to some extent?
· Are you biased towards any character(s)? If so, who and why?
· Would you want this to be voiced? If you do, would you prefer English or Japanese (or some other language); partial or full?
· Do you have any other questions, comments, concerns, etc.?
Last edited by lumia on Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Sapphire-Skillz
Tumblr: Kazurenai
Deviantart: Sapphire-Skillz

Re: [Otome]【vampire-romance】 My Eternal Rose

#2 Post by Sapphire-Skillz »

Lol Selene? Tea Leaves? ouo Were you possibly inspired by my game idea perhaps?
Since you were the first person to respond to my post, I feel its fair I respond to yours ^o^

· Does the synopsis interest you, to some extent?
I really can't say because the plot is still very mysterious and vague but considering its a vampire story, I assume they're vampires in the mansion. That alone, wouldn't convince me enough to play it (its times like these where graphics really play a huge part in convincing me to play games)

If I had to choose then Rayne because I'm a big fan of trickster sort of characters. Also maybe Lucien cause he sounds like a big ol' tsuntsun.
But one thing I notice is that they all seem to be "rude" sort of characters as in they're be like so-so BUT if confronted about it, they'll either be mean or rude about it. -- Except for Blair, who sounds, incredibly unappealing to me personally (not sure if someone will like him though) cause you said he not only looks like a kid, but has the mind of one too? :/ Or was it meant to be understood another way?

· Would you want this to be voiced? If you do, would you prefer English or Japanese (or some other language); partial or full?
All depends on the actual voices, regardless of language, as long as they emulate a vampiriry voice (not like "I vant to suck your bluuud") but like very smooth, charimatic (and not like country loool) than either is good. I think full voice would be good if possible especially if you want to differentiate the story based on the characters, then giving them voices would add life to them.

- This is random but I feel that Selene and Angelica's name would fit the other better, cause Selene sounds like Selena which is more vampiric, where Angelica is like Angel, which fits more with the heroines personality.

- Also since you pointed out the similarities with Diabolik Lovers, now I can't stop seeing it. O_O Reading it and writing my own post yesterday, I understand how hard it is to offer a good synopsis/characters WITHOUT giving away too much, but if you could try and basically try to answer the question "Why would people want to play this and not Diabolik Lovers?" through your post, it might help. c:

lumia
Regular

#3 Post by lumia »

@Sapphire-Skillz
Hi, thank you for your reply!

Regarding the plot, the people in the mansion are vampires, and they all have their big/dark secrets that essentially shape how they are today, and Selene will have to figure it out as she gets to know them better. So, it's more than just a vampire in the mansion falling in love with a human plot, so I hope that boosts your interest a little bit.

Lucien, if you may be surprised, isn't so much a tsundere as he is just a hot-tempered character. For example, he doesn't get embarrassed easily, but he is a little bit pompous. As for Blair, he has a reason why he looks like a child (but doesn't necessarily think/speak like a child). I'm glad you like Rayne though~

Thank you for your input on voice acting, I take your words to heart! I purposely named Angelica that name for a sense of irony. However, you do bring a good point otherwise. As for the semblance of the name Selene, I came up with the names before you posted about Tea Leaf, so I can say it is a sheer coincidence; I just used Behind The Name to come up with most of the names.

The story will heavily focus on pretty much on the backgrounds of the characters (which is indeed different from Diabolik Lover's character backstories; this game's character backstories are more uniquely/differently crafted).

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.
Cheers! -Lumia Chai.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

· Does the synopsis interest you, to some extent?
A bit, yeah. It doesn't have me hook, line, and sinker, but I'd play it when it came out.
Probably Blair. English is my favorite subject and here he is all "Romeo and Juliet's the best" so that's pretty much a clear choice for me.
I don't hold anything against games that aren't voiced, even big-name games. Voice acting is expensive and hard to coordinate.
That said, if you go the extra mile to implement good voice acting in your game, I would be pretty excited about that. I'm not at all a fan of partial voice acting, though - if it isn't fully voiced, I mute it. It's nothing against the work or the voice actors, I just don't like being read only bits and pieces of a story.

lumia
Regular

#5 Post by lumia »

@Zelan
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I hope you have read the FAQ, which sort of contains a premise, so you can go a little bit deeper than the synopsis. I am trying my best to develop a more hooky synopsis, but until then, I'll rephrase the questioning so then it's a bit more clear on what I am trying to say. I'm glad you like Blair~ Thank you for your input on voice acting; I take your words to heart.

Thank you again for taking your time to reply to this!
Cheers~

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: [Otome]【vampire-romance, dark fairytale】 My Eternal Rose

#6 Post by Zelan »

lumia wrote:However, the catch is that all the character's backstories are based on famous fairy tales and tales of fiction with a bit of twists going on. So, if you are into the dark fairy tale and fiction elements being thrown into a vampire-romance story, then I would try and give this game a try and a word of support.
Oh, HERE we go. Now we're talking. Darker and Edgier™ versions of existing stories are my THING.

By the way, I should probably mention that my opinion on partial voice acting doesn't seem to be the popular opinion. I haven't done a poll or anything, but just based on what I've seen around here, I think that a decent amount of people like partial voice acting a lot more than I do.

lumia
Regular

#7 Post by lumia »

// Update(s) 11-20
I'm back with some updates to you! First of all, this game is in official production, and a new artist joined, Itozuuu; she will be in charge of the sprites and the CGs (which would include promotional if not another artist joined as specifically the promotional artist). I did open a recruitment post a bit early, as I could use some help to speed production up. You can view it here at your own discretion.

Also, I am adding in a secret route. I won't reveal his name, but I can tell you he's the person who has the most information, and so will have to be unlocked to play. Unlock conditions will be announced once it has been decided. I figured that since his sketches turned out really good, you all would want him to have his own individual route. I hope your interest is raised a bit by him!

I am still looking for various people: background and GUI or graphic artists, composers/musicians, programmer, and an assistant writer. I am also open to doing talent trading with you (art, music, or co writing in exchange for writing, editing, proofreading, idea bouncing, and/or researching). If you are interested, either send me a private message here or send an email to destinylumia@gmail.com. You will receive the fastest reply via email.

Also, all the initial character sketches are finished; after the line-art and base coloring are finished, I'll post what they will generally look like! Many thanks to Itozuuu for her hard work! The logo is also coming, thanks to Mama J for that. Be sure to check out their games: The Purring Demon's Love by Itozuuu, and Beauty and the Brothers by Anomalis (Mama J)!

Thank you, and any feedback is welcome.
Cheers! -Lumia Chai.

lumia
Regular

#8 Post by lumia »

Here is the logo! Many thanks to Mama J for her hard work! Remember, I am opening recruitment, especially prioritizing background and graphic artist. If you are interested, please make sure to send me an email at destinylumia@gmail.com or send me a private message here on this site! As always, feedback is welcome~

Aratzne
Deviantart: Aratzne

#9 Post by Aratzne »

It does, partly because it falls under my personal interests of vampires and dark fairy tales. I think that adaptations of famous characters can be very interesting when done well and in a unique way (also when it's not the same overplayed stories being adapted every time). For now, the vagueness means the story could go either way for me, but I'm definitely interested in following the project to see how it turns out!

Lucien - He seems to have this powerful, dangerous thing going for him, balanced by the fact that he means well for Selene. I feel like there's the potential for some heart-racing scenes when he's angry, and then some warm scenes later on when he's being caring/loving. I think that's a character type that works well with vampires. Also, even if he's not necessarily tsundere, that contrast between being scary sometimes and being caring at other times heightens the impact of the caring times in a similar way (at least that's how I see it).

Michalis - Sounds like a straight kuudere, and I'm always biased towards kuudere.

Angelica - Because reasons. XD

Of course I would love to see this full voiced, in English, with good voice actors. To me, that's the optimal state for an OELVN. But, it is a difficult and expensive venture, which is not always be worth the payoff. I think it's reasonable to balance wants with realistic possibilities. I also like partial voice acting as an option. Full > Partial > No voice, but I would still play a game with good story and characters and art without any voice.

Best of luck! Can't wait to see this story unfold! :)

lumia
Regular

#10 Post by lumia »

@Aratzne
I'm happy to know that you're interested; we all hope not to let you down when it reaches its final product. I plan to release a demo, which will contain the prologue and common route, so hopefully by then you can get a better grasp on the story itself. Once again, thank you for your interest! If you do happen to be intrigued, feel free to follow us on Tumblr, where we will strive to give weekly updates for fans, plus promotional material as well!

You're right, Lucien is very dangerous and powerful (though he also means well for Selene too). I know what you mean, kuudere's are my type too! I'm glad you like Angelica, now she can finally be loved <3. If you like Angelica, remember that you will have the opportunity to unlock a scene with her (which will also have a CG!); it will be in the demo! Thank you for your feedback on voice acting; I take all of your words to heart. Also, thank you for the luck; I'll definitely need it!!

The dev blog for this game is up! You can view it at the following link down below! If you are interested in our updates, feel free to give us a follow, because we will strive to give you weekly updates over there, with a bunch of cool things throughout the development, such as promotional images (which will be like mobile and PC backgrounds!). If you're keen, do give us your support by giving us a follow, liking and reblogging our first post!

My Eternal Rose dev blog

lumia
Regular

#11 Post by lumia »

//New feature!
There will be a new feature added into this game! Now that I have recruited a character theme composer, Felix! He has very great music going on. Basically, each character theme will be based sort of on the personalities and stories of each character. There will be a music room screen, and the tracks are locked until the corresponding character's route has been completed. For example, if you complete Lucien's route, you will be able to unlock his theme. Same goes for everyone else. There will be character themes for:
  • > Lucien (finish his route)
    > Rayne (finish his route)
    > Blair (finish his route)
    > Michalis (finish his route)
    > Angelica (obtain the unlockable CG scene with her)
    > ??? (complete his route)
    > Selene (obtain all the possible endings [?])

Thanks, and hope you have a good day. Remember, our Tumblr has more frequent updates, so it would do you good to go check that out more often! A character preview of Lucien and Blair are on Tumblr!

Cheers! -Lumia.

aeri
Regular
Projects: Thereafter: A Medieval Life, What happens on camera doesn't always stay on camera, etc.
Organization: Meraki Tales
Tumblr: merakitales
itch: merakitales

#12 Post by aeri »

Wanted to provide feedback even though this is out of my genre preferences! ^ ^

It actually does because I like games that are even loosely based on the "fairy tale" fiction stories. Like I said in the beginning statement, this genre (vampire, fantasy, strong fairy tale/supernatural elements), it sounds interesting but not something I may go out of my way to play.

Michalis is actually someone I'm pretty biased toward mostly because it has the tsundere air to him (at least I'm not sure if he'll show some affection before brushing her off...again and again?). My two cents :) Blair is the one I don't look forward to probably only because there aren't very much details like you said, and I actually imagine a child/baby so...that didn't go anywhere good with me xD;;

To be honest, it is all dependent on the voices you recruit. Normally, I'm completely fine without voices, but Japanese voices are my bias, and I'm good with either partial or full. English voices really have to draw me in but even in professional games (and RPGs)...I honestly don't care for a lot of the English voice acting but it could be because it's Japanese -> English rather than straight-up creation in English.

I like your idea at the end about the character themes...would it play during their route as well? It definitely sounds like something that completionists would appreciate~ Good luck with the game production!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Zelan »

lumia wrote://New feature!
There will be a new feature added into this game! Now that I have recruited a character theme composer, Felix! He has very great music going on. Basically, each character theme will be based sort of on the personalities and stories of each character. There will be a music room screen, and the tracks are locked until the corresponding character's route has been completed. For example, if you complete Lucien's route, you will be able to unlock his theme. Same goes for everyone else. There will be character themes for:
  • > Lucien (finish his route)
    > Rayne (finish his route)
    > Blair (finish his route)
    > Michalis (finish his route)
    > Angelica (obtain the unlockable CG scene with her)
    > ??? (complete his route)
    > Selene (obtain all the possible endings [?])

Thanks, and hope you have a good day. Remember, our Tumblr has more frequent updates, so it would do you good to go check that out more often! A character preview of Lucien and Blair are on Tumblr!

Cheers! -Lumia.
Yay!! I love music rooms. ^_^

One thing that I do want to say - you seem to be a victim of the dreaded Feature Creep. More content is great, but eventually you have to put a cap on it or you're never going to finish. Just a warning - I've seen projects which have been pushed further and further back because new features keep on being added.

lumia
Regular

#14 Post by lumia »

@aeri
Thank you! I don't know if I would call Michalis a tsundere as much than a kuudere, but who knows? There may be some scenarios where he actually is a tsundere. For Blair, he looks like a child, but he doesn't act so much like one... if that makes any sense, hahah. As for the character themes, the answer is no. The tracks are unlockable though by finishing a route. They will be in the music room if you happen to play the game, that is. Also, I'll keep that in mind for voice acting, so thanks for your input on that!!

@Zelan
The music room/character themes are probably the "cap" of the features, so no worries. I love music rooms as well, though I can never seem to find many games with that feature, hahah~

//5 Character PV!
These are also posted on the Tumblr blog. Remember more things may appear in Tumblr than here, so give us a follow and/or a word of support or just check it sometimes; that would also make us very happy!! Anyways, here you go: character previews of Angelica, Michalis, Rayne, Blair and Lucien. Full character designs will be published at its finalized stage because some of the features are not official anyways.

lumia
Regular

#15 Post by lumia »

//My Eternal Rose - Character Theme PV's! for Selene, Lucien, Blair and Rayne.
Click on the link above to view the character themes (previews)!

I am happy to be able to show you the character theme previews! A very special thanks to Felix Arifin for his hard work in creating these pieces of music. Each piece is composed based on the personalities and backstories of the characters, and the full track will be unlocked once you have completed certain conditions. The previews are short, because we want to avoid spoilers! The full character themes are around 1:00-1:30, so that’s another reason why the previews are very short, but we hope you enjoy them nonetheless! Here is how long each preview lasts:
  • > Selene: 10 seconds.
    > Lucien: 10 seconds.
    > Blair: 7 seconds.
    > Rayne: 9 seconds.

Please let us know what you think!

[ Tumblr link ]

Cheers! -Lumia Chai.