Modus Operandi - UPDATE: Colored Portraits!!

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Tsuki-chan
Regular
Projects: How to Be a Successful Villain

Modus Operandi - UPDATE: Colored Portraits!!

#1 Post by Tsuki-chan »

Elusive Blue is proud to announce the production of its first project: Modus Operandi! Here I shall detail all relevant information pertaining to the project, as well as maintain a running progress report as the game's creation continues. So, without further ado, let's get on with what this game is all about!

General

Title: Modus Operandi
Type: Visual Novel
Genres: Murder Mystery, Drama, Humour
Rating: T
Engine: Ren'py

Summary

You play as Logan, a young college dropout with a near obsession for all things mystery and a fierce determination to become a detective. Unfortunately, your only 'experience' includes the countless hours you've spent reading mystery novels and watching who-knows-how-many whodunit movies.

Fortunately for you, a recent string of seemingly unrelated murders has the police baffled. If you can somehow manage to solve this case before anyone else, there's no doubt in your mind that you'd be getting your foot in the door at last! The downside: attempting to track down an actual serial killer is a whole lot different than reading about one.

Setting

Fairly large city in modern-day United States.

Characters

Logan Crenshaw
Appearance: Average build, 5'10", medium brown hair, darkish icy-blue eyes
Personality: Tends to overreact, stubborn, can be lazy, obsessive, extremely observant, can lie with a straight face
Likes: Mystery novels, ping-pong, mint chocolate chip ice-cream
Dislikes: Videogames (isn't very good at them), public transportation

Thomas Nohle
Nickname: Tilly
Appearance: Slim build, 6', busty, blonde hair, bright green eyes
Personality: Melodramatic, self-assured, flirtatious, scheming, overly-cheerful
Dislikes: Fire, dogs, flowers (as gifts)
Importance: Logan's roommate

Jacob Avilés
Nationality: Dominican/American
Appearance: Lithe build, 5'6", creamy-coffee skin tone, curly dark brown hair, hazel eyes
Personality: Dependent, often speaks without thinking, frequently misses sarcasm and jokes, has a very good memory
Dislikes: large amounts of water, blueberries
Importance: Assists Logan; Aden's twin brother

Aden Avilés
Nationality: Dominican/American
Appearance: Lithe build, 5'6 3/4", creamy-coffee skin tone, wavy dark brown hair, hazel eyes
Personality: Protective, untrusting, manipulative, street-wise, highly intelligent
Dislikes: frogs, women, strawberries
Importance: Assists Logan; Jacob's twin brother

Dorian Stross
Appearance: Athletic build, 5'11", tanned, dirty blonde hair, honey-brown eyes
Personality: Extremely competitive, arrogant-acting, stubborn, good at devising plans and deciphering
Likes: Sports, esp. soccer and tennis, strawberry ice-cream, cooking
Dislikes: Cats (allergic), being inactive, hyperactive girls
Importance: Attended the same school as Logan; sees him as a rival

Bastian Kowalski
Appearance: Toned build, 6'1", tanned, black hair, grey eyes
Personality: Extremely committed to whatever he sets out to do, fairly easygoing, though can be a bit too serious at times, slight drinking problem, something of a playboy, superstitious
Dislikes: Most sweet things, leaving anything unfinished, clutter
Importance: Detective and longtime friend of Logan's father

Kitani Mitchell
Nickname: Kitty
Appearance: Average build, 5'5", medium brown skin tone, dark brown hair, medium green eyes (right slightly lighter than left)
Personality: Portrays herself as a somewhat cold, arrogant perfectionist with little interest outside of school; in actuality, she’s extremely social, goofy, will do just about anything to make someone laugh, and loves to party
Dislikes: Pretending to be something she's not, people who think they're better than everyone else, college
Importance: Highly intelligent college student whom Logan meets

Madison Foster
Appearance: Slight build, 5'4", wavy dark red hair, greyish-blue eyes
Personality: Cheerful, excitable, playfully flirtatious, outgoing, quick to offer a helping hand, somewhat ditzy
Dislikes: Fish (as pets), self-absorbed people, ants
Importance: Recently moved to town to attend the local college; quickly takes a liking to Logan

Chris Rigett
Appearance: Athletic build, 5'9", auburn hair, medium brown eyes
Personality: Tomboyish, stubborn, easily angered, self-assured, always speaks her mind, quick-witted
Dislikes: Losing, being told she can’t do something, anything she deems too girly
Importance: Lives in the same apartment building as Dorian

Features

The following list contains features I hope to include, if at all possible.

° 24 endings (12 "good", 2 alternate, 7 bad, and 3 special)
° Separate unlockable individual cases
° Clickable in-game objects
° Journal that automatically records clues found and possible suspects
° Detective themed mini-games (lock-picking, code breaking...)
° Timed events

Team

Writer: Tsukiyo (me!)
Editor: X__Sinister
Character Artist: LiwaRifael
Cut-Scene/Event Artist: N/A
Background Artist: N/A
Colorist: Deji
Programmers: Shadow, Forgotten Chronicle, Justin Lidy
Music Composer: N/A
Sound Effects: N/A

**Will edit as more are added. Please see following post for recruitment information.

Other

Modus Operandi allows for the possibility of developing a relationship with (almost) any of the main characters, gender aside.
However, regardless of the path, you will inevitably run upon BL content.
Attachments
Initial Sketches:<br />Logan, Thomas, Jacob, Aden<br />Dorian, Bastian, Kitani, Madison<br />Cassandra
Initial Sketches:
Logan, Thomas, Jacob, Aden
Dorian, Bastian, Kitani, Madison
Cassandra
Last edited by Tsuki-chan on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 45 times in total.

Tsuki-chan
Regular

Re: Modus Operandi

#2 Post by Tsuki-chan »

Recruitment

Character/Sprite Artist

Each of the characters will be depicted with several different expressions and a few different poses (as in, it won't be the same pose throughout, but their won't be a different pose for each expression). The only character this does not apply to is Logan, who will only be shown with different expressions to the side of the text-box, as the story is first-person.

The character artist will, of course, only be doing the linework of the characters. Therefore, character artist's must be able to line their own art (or draw in such a way as to make it easy for the colorist to do their job). Samples should include both males and females.[/i]

Scene/Event Artist

Must be able to imitate the character artist's style convincingly. Samples should include both males and females depicted in different poses.

Colorist

Will be focusing on sprites and scenes for the most part. I'm looking for a CG colorist, not a traditional colorist, so samples should reflect this.

Background Artist

Should have a good grasp of both indoor and outdoor scenery. Again, samples are a must.

Music Composer

I don't have a particular style in mind at this time. It'd be helpful if the composer could come up with appropriate music on their own (based on what they will have seen of the game, of course), but not absolutely necessary. Must have samples!

Sound Effects

Pretty self-explanatory. I'll most likely assume you can create decent sound effects if you say that you can, but samples are always helpful...xD

Editor

Must have a very good grasp of the English language (of course). The editor's job will be not only to point out spelling and grammatical errors and inconsistencies in the script, but also to make suggestions of improvements and the like if they deem fit. Writing samples would be nice.
Last edited by Tsuki-chan on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 9 times in total.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by N0UGHTS »

:quasi-fujoshi high-pitched scream:

...Nobody heard that. It wasn't me. I love women, it couldn't possibly be me... Err... Tsuki-chan did it! :dies:

It's about time we get another murder mystery ADV. (Though I'm hooked on anything concerning murder...) And what a cast, too! Looks like good stuff. And the character design artist... Oooh...

Wait... So "Tilly" is male-to-female? Or is it the other way around?

The plot, the plot, the plot... So it'll be realistic fiction? Not like CHAOS;HEAD?
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

Tsuki-chan
Regular

#4 Post by Tsuki-chan »

[ ]
Last edited by Tsuki-chan on Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by N0UGHTS »

Ah, so he's a transvestite going for surgery, though not gender identity-related surgery. Okay...

Wow. For the LGBT scene to be that big, the game has to take place in California. XD
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart

Tsuki-chan
Regular

#6 Post by Tsuki-chan »

Tilly has a story.
...But of course, I won't speak a work of it.

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#7 Post by Enerccio »

Tsuki-chan wrote: However, regardless of the path, you will inevitably run upon BL content.
And I lost 95% of my interest...
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#8 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Not so sure about the transgendered bit, but a serious attempt at a mystery story will always have my attention. I've been having an idea that features a protagonist similar to your own, so that especially caught my attention. I don't keep my eye on much lately, but this is one I'll be keeping track of. Best of luck.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Tsuki-chan
Regular

#9 Post by Tsuki-chan »

Enerccio wrote: And I lost 95% of my interest...
There won't be anything too major. After all, it is only rated T.
You should be more open-minded...XP
Last edited by Tsuki-chan on Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#10 Post by Enerccio »

Tsuki-chan wrote:
Enerccio wrote: And I lost 95% of my interest...
There won't be anything too major. After all, it is only rated T.
You should be more open-minded...XP
Oh, I am open minded. Yuri, Loli, Guro, Tentacles, Futa, just name it.
But it has to have at least one girl in it =P

But I will play it (for the love of mysteries) unless there will be major clues in the BL scenes (which I will skip =P)
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by N0UGHTS »

Enerccio wrote:Oh, I am open minded. Yuri, Loli, Guro, Tentacles, Futa, just name it.
But it has to have at least one girl in it =P
Wow. Sounds a lot like what I'm interested in.

Tsuki-chan wrote:Kitani
Nickname: Kitty

Madison

Cassandra
...They have boobs, right? Are they datable?

The text sizes messed up the quote... (0_0)
World Community Grid

Tsuki-chan
Regular

#12 Post by Tsuki-chan »

Enerccio wrote:unless there will be major clues in the BL scenes
You never know...XP
I won't make any promises, either way. I suppose you'll just have to try it out and see for yourself...^^
N0UGHTS wrote:Are they datable?
Well, if your only specification is that they have boobs, then yes...xDD

Tsuki-chan
Regular

Re: Modus Operandi - Recruiting

#13 Post by Tsuki-chan »

Perhaps I'll have more luck on that front if I actually put it in the title...xDD

x__sinister
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi, Grim

#14 Post by x__sinister »

Hey. I might be interested in helping you out as an editor.
I am a fairly good writer, and I'm always going around and super-checking grammar mistakes.
Having more than one editor is a good idea; one may miss something and another can catch it.
However, I don't know how to use Ren'Py at all; if that's what you meant by correcting the script, then I'm not good for this job. Obviously I'd just correct the writing portion. I suppose I don't really need to tell you what kind of editing I'd be doing, because you put it in the description. Any grammar and spelling mistakes, rewording sentences, making sure everything keeps to the tone and pace of the story, mythic structure, etc. etc. I'm also full of ideas, so if you need any inspiration, I'm available.

Also, I can do some coloring. I'm an adept artist, but I'm not an expert at it. If you can't find a colorist, and that's the only thing holding you back from getting the game out, I'm all for it.

Anyway...
I'm very interested in this game.
I was thinking of making a murder mystery of my own, though it would have more of a supernatural twist (ghosts, curses, hauntings). I also really love thriller stories, so this is a big plus.
I'm a big fan of BL, so I'm glad there are some scenes in there. But, I also like that you're balancing it out with the female characters, too. This way it pleases everyone. (:
A literate roleplaying community.

Tsuki-chan
Regular

#15 Post by Tsuki-chan »

I am so sorry for taking so long to reply! I've been a bit busy these past few days, and though I saw your post and intended to reply, I kept getting distracted...x.x;

In any case, you sound absolutely perfect for the job! We're actually using Novelty to create the game, not Ren'py. But, thankfully, I wouldn't have asked you to edit within the game, anyhow...XP
I would provide you with the script.

The beta reader's job is to read through the script in-game, so any mistakes we both miss, they'll hopefully catch. However, it's still possible that I'll work with more than one editor.

I've actually already located a colorist (and just updated the first post), but thanks for the offer!

There really aren't enough mysteries around here. We need more variety!

In any case, I shall PM you.