Unnamed Idol Story Project [Modern-day slice of life, drama]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Kayseur

Unnamed Idol Story Project [Modern-day slice of life, drama]

#1 Post by Kayseur »

Unnamed Idol Story Project

Oh uh, resizing makes her shirt's motif glitch.

General presentation

This is an idea I've had on my mind for a while. Since idolm@ster, Love Live, Aikatsu, and the likes, there has been a big expansion of the idol genre as a whole. They all introduced the idol culture to anime and manga fans, including me who then fell in love with real life idols, and later with the lesser known underground idols sub-genre. And this is what made me want to write up this kind of story for a while, a story which could mix the (sometimes) harsh reality of actual, starting-from-scratch, idols,with the fun and appeal of fictional, easy-going, idols. There are some animes which tried that, like Wake up girls and its scandals-related issues, but I think there's a lot more to explore.

So here's the pitch. I want to create a story that could depict the struggle of people chasing their dreams, especially in the artistic field, and the beauty of fulfilling them. It's really classic, there's no actual twist to that — but the whole thing would have to be supported by relatable and likable characters. The only little real bells and whistles I'd like to bring in are how those idols which the story will be focused on are. I'm sure people always imagine pink/pop-colored girls in frilly clothes when we talk about idols, with romance and happy-go-lucky songs. And it's true, it's what the vast majority of big name idol groups embodies.
But as I said in the beginning, I also love underground idols — idols who are different, who can be grim, rock, who can raise the middle finger to their fans while smiling adorably. I don't really want to go to such extremes, but they exist, and I want to give them the spotlight. That's why the idols in this story would be street idols, sporting streetwear and rapping out their melodies between two winks. There's also something we don't see much in anime idols, and that's the whole behind the scenes business. How idols can be captive, mouth-shut and dolls to their management. That's a subject I want to touch on as well.

The story would obviously have to be told mainly through the characters, with, if possible, less descriptive text and would feel more like a good play (as it's the kind of VN I like most, like Blazblue's story mode for those who played it).
Uncovering the different protagonists' past would also play a big role in understanding them better.

Story presentation

I don't want to spoil too much, so I won't go into too much details. But I already have a relatively good outline though it still needs to be ironed and completed.

A group of three girls will, one day, end up banding together in order to pursue their dreams. Though their goals are all different, the means is the same: they want to become idols and make their group successful. But all hating having their string pulled by higher-ups like puppets, they chose the path that comes with equally as much freedom as setbacks — they chose to be self-produced. They will have to find means to promote themselves from nobodies to something worth speaking of, while being part of an already struggling scene.

There is but one keyword to their adventure: perseverance.

The story is set in a modern-day, realistic Tokyo.

Characters presentation

I'm keeping their last names hidden for now. Not that they have any importance, none of that is definitive anyway.

Manami (center): Leader of the group and its creator. She has always loved singing more than anything in her life, and has always preferred singing alone in her garden more than attending classes. She's always been bad at making friends because of this, not because she's asocial, but because she doesn't really pay much attention to others as much as she's focused on her dream of making her debut. She also used to ditch classes in order to get her soul soothed at her local livehouses. She wants to make it big as an idol in order to use that reputation for a solo career in the future.
She had finally managed to enter a well-known idol group right before it started declining, and ended up disbanding soon after her arrival, despite her biggest efforts to keep it afloat. That will give her the motivation to give up on relying on others' business to create her own group — little did she know no one would show up at her recruitment meeting...

She has a will stronger than anyone and is known never to give up, which stems from her own pride and ego. That, however, also means she has pretty much only ever focused only on very few things and is clueless about everything else.
She always speaks her mind out and is never afraid of taking risks — nothing can ever go wrong as she has failed enough times to know how to get back on her feet. This gives her natural charisma and trust for people to follow her.

As an extension of singing she also tried various instruments but only ever stuck with guitar and ends up composing the group's instrumentals.

Yua (left): A girl who arrived in the big city of Tokyo after losing her father with whom she was living abroad. She's fully Japanese-blooded, but has been raised in another culture, and thus had absolutely no idea what idols were before contacting Manami. There's only two things on her mind: finding a place in a country she has no roots and no friends in, and securing a steady job to get money.
She's a fresh graduate from a famous graphic design and communication school, which makes her the best fitted to have the PR role in the group. She also loves interacting on social networks with her fans for the sole reason that being the most popular of the group also means she'll be the one making the most profit.
She's however relatively slow-paced and doesn't talk all that much — not because she's shy, but simply because she doesn't like to talk for no reason, and being all respectful, sometimes fears backlashes. Thus, while she seems warm and fun on the net or on stage, she often comes off as cold in real life, but makes up for it with her cuteness.

Naru (right): The only girl who's still a college student in the group. She used to be in another group before who disbanded because of her, although both this fact and the reason is unknown to the two others. She's the biggest idol fan of the group, a pure wota who won't hesitate to throw away her princess-like appearance to dance with the rest of the audience, dressed with a ridiculous logo-branded shirt and waving her penlights in the air.

Always dressed impeccably the rest of the time, she's also the most skilled in dance and an overall refined girl, only making her rock-imbued soul visible through her numerous ear piercings.
She however has a sharp, though elegant, tongue and, being the same age as Manami, will often be the one to get her back to earth.
She's also a fast and good thinker, easily coming up with solutions for the weirdest situations. And although she may seem at first like the one with the least problems, is that really true?...

A fourth girl is also supposed to join the group later after a certain event.

Notes

I'd like the game to be a kinetic (or only have side-stories as "routes") novel. There's no dating elements nor is there any sim elements. I just want a good story, with memorable characters, emotional and obviously funny moments. K-on! Is definitely another of one my big ref.
If possible, I'd like the game to be commercial funded through a KS, but for now everything is just at the planning stage so this is off the radar.
The story would ideally be at least around 120,000 words long, but my goal for now would be to create a pilote/prologue/demo of ~20,000 words.

I'd also like to note I've been to Japan for two months and have attended a bunch of lives and idol-related events, this isn't a lot but I think it's enough to give out a somewhat realistic rendition of Tokyo and idols.

What I currently have:
- Story outline (~50%)
- Sprite/CG artist – myself, although I don't know if I can consider myself good enough yet or not
- Project manager — myself again, if I ever were to team up with people properly (I can also serve as the PR guy since I've worked a bit in communication as well)

What I'd need (with Priorities):
- P1) A writer/script-writer. I'm not a writer myself, and english isn't even my native language. The most I can write is prose and I'm certainly no good at writing dialogues, so it'd be cool if a writer willing to follow my outline/concept would like to join the project. If he/she loves idols, even better! That'd certainly help to understand each other.
- P2) BG artist (?). I may branch off to learn how to create BG myself, but it'd certainly be easier to have someone else do it to save time.
- P2) Programmer (?). Something I may be able to learn as well, but better to leave that in the hands of experts.
- P3) Music maker - OST
- P3) Singers – for insert songs
- P4/P2 for demo) Editors

I'm not exactly asking for recruitement just yet EXCEPT if you're actually super motivated by the project as the writer position. In which case, by all means, don't hesitate to get in touch!
If this idea goes anywhere closer to reality, I'll start recruiting for assets production once the demo script would supposedly be done.

Anyway, question time.

- Does this project sound interesting? / Would you read it?
- Are you interested in idol culture? If yes, how much do you know about it? (Limited to anime knowledge or more...) ; if no, would this kind of story potentially make you change your mind?
- What would be the best priority to you: drama or comedy? Knowing that some drama is at least bound to happen at some point anyway.
- Which girl sounds the most and/or the least interesting so far? Can either be about the design or the description.
- Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
Last edited by Kayseur on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

nekobara
Regular

Re: Unamed Idol Story Project [Modern-day slice of life, dra

#2 Post by nekobara »

It does spark my interest. So yes, I would definitely read it. No choices? No romance? Those are two things I'd usually prefer to have, but somehow this idea still appeals to me. It feels different. Special.
- Are you interested in idol culture? If yes, how much do you know about it? (Limited to anime knowledge or more...) ; if no, would this kind of story potentially make you change your mind?
If I'm being honest, not so much. I haven't watched much anime that had to do with cute idol girls and the like. There may have been one, but I didn't consider it interesting enough to finish. However, I feel that my mind could be swayed, even if just a little bit, by this story. After all, I did call it special, didn't I?
- What would be the best priority to you: drama or comedy? Knowing that some drama is at least bound to happen at some point anyway.
Ah. A question that I wish people wouldn't ask. *sigh* This is really tough for me since I believe that both should be prioritized. I'm a stickler for comedy, and well...I'm also a drama queen. Both in the sense that I overreact and live for it on and off-screen. I say just go with the flow. Get it written out and all that, and see what direction your story naturally goes in. I'm not sure if that makes much sense, but there's always editing, and when you find what fits you'll know it.
- Which girl sounds the most and/or the least interesting so far? Can either be about the design or the description.
For some reason I favor Naru. Her description appeals to me most and well...her character design is so lovely that my eyes keep travelling over to her repeatedly. Could it be that I've fallen in love?
-Any suggestions/comments?
When you said that you would use less descriptive text I beamed with joy. I find descriptive text to be a bit bothersome, not overly, but...I'll just stop now. Let's just say that I like your way of doing things. :wink: I almost wish I could apply for a writing position, but I find myself to be unsuitable.
*meow*

Kayseur

Re: Unamed Idol Story Project [Modern-day slice of life, dra

#3 Post by Kayseur »

Thanks for your answer!
I'm glad to see your interest. Regarding drama/comedy, I actually feel the same — that both should be prioritized, but I wanted other people's opinion on that. But you're pretty much right about going with the flow, that does sound like the best option.

I'm also happy to see Naru being chosen, as she's also the one I personally like the most so far. Maybe my love for her got through my words, haha.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Unnamed Idol Story Project [Modern-day slice of life, dr

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

As recently as November 2016, forum member Kulper was working on Idol Manager. It's a dark comedy about modern idol life and the business. I don't know if the project is still active.

Several years ago, there was Idolcraft. It's a freeware title made by forum member Flowerthief, using RPG Maker XP as an engine. It's also a gameplay driven title about recruiting and then training idols.
Kayseur wrote:If possible, I'd like the game to be commercial funded through a KS...
I believe you'll benefit by researching how other visual novel / video game creators have used Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Patreon, and other services. You can learn from ones which found an audience. Likewise, I think that you can learn from ones which struggled to make money, had production problems, or a post-crowdfunding cancellation.
Kayseur wrote:I'd also like to note I've been to Japan for two months and have attended a bunch of lives and idol-related events...
I think this will be one of your strengths. Firsthand experience is an asset if you're writing about other nations and cultures. You can write based on things which you experienced in real life.
Kayseur wrote:- What would be the best priority to you: drama or comedy?
Enough of each. I tend to avoid stories that focus entirely on drama. At the same time, I don't tend to like stories which only offer comedy, and have no substance.
Kayseur wrote:- Any suggestions/comments?
Be careful with the scope of your VN. Only include as many characters, plot twists, and elements as you can handle. An awful lot of planned visual novels have not proceeded past the planning stages because the creator couldn't dedicate enough time and effort in order to finish their project. This and other problems are discussed in the topic Why so many unfinished visual novels?

Kayseur

#5 Post by Kayseur »

This Idol Manager game sounds and looks pretty nice, and I do like the direction the creator took. I'm not too surprised by the existence of Idolcraft neither and would probably expect more of this kind of things to exist anyway.
The thing is, it's precisely what I don't want to do: I do not want a "gameplay driven" story, as I feel it would hinder the story flow itself. Plus, unlike most idol games, there is no producer here, as it is a self-produced group (a rarity even in real life but it does exist), which actually almost makes it a "two sides of the same coin" situation with Idol Manager : dealing with gossip, vandalism, incidents? The girls in mine don't want to leave those decisions to other people, they want to be free to choose how to settle things down.
In fact I actually plan to include quite a bunch of criticism towards the "regular way" of idol business. As I do find it annoying in real life that, for example, an idol would be unallowed to answer back on social networks for the sake of their image. This is when having chosen to focus on a underground group comes in play, as it does give more freedom.
gekiganwing wrote: I believe you'll benefit by researching how other visual novel / video game creators have used Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Patreon, and other services. You can learn from ones which found an audience. Likewise, I think that you can learn from ones which struggled to make money, had production problems, or a post-crowdfunding cancellation.
Oh yes, of course. This is something I actually have already done a bit and plan on digging further later if I can finish the script. I actually already have thought up some proper pre-launch/post-launch campaigns (as it's something I find interesting to begin with) and am in direct contact with another successful VN KS's creator. Nothing is obviously set in stone but I am relatively confident on this front if I were to engage onto this path.
gekiganwing wrote: I think this will be one of your strengths. Firsthand experience is an asset if you're writing about other nations and cultures. You can write based on things which you experienced in real life.
And I believe this is especially true of the idol culture, and even more for small(er) upcoming idol groups. Not everything works the AKB48 way when you first step into the business, whether you're a fan or an idol.
gekiganwing wrote: Be careful with the scope of your VN. Only include as many characters, plot twists, and elements as you can handle. An awful lot of planned visual novels have not proceeded past the planning stages because the creator couldn't dedicate enough time and effort in order to finish their project. This and other problems are discussed in the topic Why so many unfinished visual novels?
I am quite conscious of this, as of now the only scope-related issue I might have is the word count goal. But it ultimately is only a goal and not a necessity. For characters, twists and elements, I'm all keeping it at a "minimum" as long as my story works.

Thank you for your answer as well!

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

#6 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

Does this project sound interesting? / Would you read it?
I really like the idea of an idol-focused VN that doesn't go along with the romanticized, clean fantasy that some idol fiction helps perpetrate. I'm actually not very big into any kind of music (idols or not), but there's something that draws my attention to idols anyway, and I think it's far more interesting to show the flaws of the singer/celebrity type of life they lead (rather than just the cuteness). While I've seen some of series like Love Live and like some of the characters from those stories, the actual narrative of series like Wake Up Girls is closer to what I find interesting. Short answer is yes, I'd find a more balanced view of idols interesting.
Are you interested in idol culture? If yes, how much do you know about it?
Kind of already answered this a bit above, but I only have a slight interest in actual idols, with most of my experience from anime/manga/games. I do know a bit more about the sometimes-related Seiyuu (is that the term?) business. A thing that worries me about both is the way fans of major figures will feel an ownership over the personal lives of these people, leading to stuff like the "love ban" in some idol groups or the spouses of famous Seiyuu being kept anonymous to avoid death threats. This isn't helped that the figure that is presented for idols is usually strictly controlled by managers, making the industry sometimes look more like a slave driving machine than entertainment.
What would be the best priority to you: drama or comedy? Knowing that some drama is at least bound to happen at some point anyway.
Best case scenario for me would be a focus on drama (the problems, complications, etc.) without sacrificing the fun/comedy. Part of why I have a hard time actually sitting through stuff like Love Live is that there's too much focus on silly antics or problems that could be solved easily if someone took the time to think. From what I understand, there are actual problems that arise in some of these series, but I couldn't get through to those points because it felt like there was too little substance. Meanwhile, the Wake Up Girls TV series has two major conflicts before the first episode is complete, and still has time for the characters to develop and have fun. It might be difficult to find the right balance (enough drama without looking bleak, enough comedy without being silly), but the story should ideally have both.
Which girl sounds the most and/or the least interesting so far?
Based on the description, I'd say I relate most to Yua. I can have similar problems where I'm more outgoing when on the internet, yet quiet and reserved when offline with strangers. It should also be interesting to see how she fits in, as she sounds like an outsider both to Japanese culture and the idol scene.
I'd also like to note I've been to Japan for two months and have attended a bunch of lives and idol-related events, this isn't a lot but I think it's enough to give out a somewhat realistic rendition of Tokyo and idols.
This is a good thing that will definitely help in making a story like this. While I sometimes consider writing something relating to idols, the fact remains that I'm an American that has never visited Japan. Even if I do my research, I'll only be imagining how things might be. So knowing that the project manager for this game has experience with the subject matter is something that would boost confidence in the game.
The story would ideally be at least around 120,000 words long, but my goal for now would be to create a pilote/prologue/demo of ~20,000 words.
Depending on who you have as a writer and the expected length of the game, you might want to pare down the word count expectation a bit. If you have a kinetic novel, 120k words is roughly 6-9 hours of reading. (My current project has 5 routes across 120k words, for 3-4 hours per run. My story also has at least half of its text in narration, unlike a game like XBLAZE that only has dialogue.) Certain writers also write at different rates, so it could take up to a year to write 120k words (as it did for me).

It may well be you do need that many words, of course. A good judge would be to see how long the prologue/demo is when it's complete, and judge based on that and the length of the outline.

At any rate, it should be interesting to see how things go. I'll try to keep an eye on the project if I can. (Part of me wants to consider helping with writing or editing, but I'm not sure I have the experience for the former. Depending on how things go, I might still consider offering to help edit or playtest.) I hope things go well for you and the project.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series

Kayseur

#7 Post by Kayseur »

Thanks a lot for your input!
The seiyuu business is certainly really similar to the idol business, they seem to enjoy a little bit more of forgiveness at times, but at others, it's just as bad as idols, that's for sure.

Wake Up Girls is definitely more like the kind of work I aspire mine to be, so I'm glad to see we agree on many aspects here.

As for the word count, you're right, it might be a bit too much. But just like I answered previously, I'm keeping it as an "ideal count", not a definitive goal. I'll most likely do as you say, re-judge the scale of the story once I manage to get a demo out.

And for a project update, though it's still not enough to move this topic from ideas to proper WIPs, I've been sketching a bunch of CG thumbnails those past days. It's really fun to do, like storyboarding. I'd like to have maybe ~30 ready by the end of the week and, if I do, I'll post a couple here!

Kayseur

#8 Post by Kayseur »

I'm not sure I have the right to double post so soon of if it's worth doing so, but I've ended up sketching some 4koma strips. I quite like the format, though it has taken me longer than I thought to draw them out even though it's still pretty sketchy. If I find the time to, I'd like to do more, all comedy-based, just for the fun and it might actually be good reference material once the actual writing gets started. Reading is from right to left, japanese-style.
Edit:

Couldn't finish all the CG roughs I wanted but I still have some to show. I have more that I'm keeping private for now.

Elmvine
Regular
itch: elmvine

#9 Post by Elmvine »

Love the flow of these CGs. (If that makes sense). They feel natural and dynamic.

I'd probably give it a try at some point.
I'm more familiar with Idol culture through the means of actually listening to them, delving into band history when I have phases where I really like their work, and Kdramas. Although, I'm hardly obsessed and listen to other kinds of music more often.
If drama is going to happen anyway, I love a story that can make me laugh too. It ends up being more memorable when you've had highs and lows.
If I had to choose, it would be Yua's description. But I like the appearance of Naru the most.