VN with dogs as protagonists, trouble finding style

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
sgt_pugs
Projects: Vlad's Home for Wayward Vampires, Spot's Last Stop
Tumblr: stonepugstudios
Deviantart: stonepugstudios
itch: stonepug

VN with dogs as protagonists, trouble finding style

#1 Post by sgt_pugs »

Hey everybody :)

I'm currently working on a VN called Spot's Last Stop. I'm fairly far along with writing and I'm starting to look for art. However, I'm having some trouble with finding an art style/ artist. I want the characters to look like dogs (not going for nekomimi) but to not be too realistic. I'd like the style to be serious and dramatic but not sexualized (I'm not planning any H scenes in this VN). A lot of the art/artists I'm looking through have dogs that look too cutesy. Maybe I'm being too picky.... :( I just want this VN to look great!

If you all have any suggestions for Artists/ if you would be interested I would really appreciate it!

A little more on the game...
You play as Shiro, a white husky stolen from his home by a man who wants to sell you for your purebred status and unusual all white coat. To escape, you must choose to go it alone or to convince your other cellmates to fight with you. Either way you can choose mercy or ruthlessness, these choices have profound impacts on the end of the game!

So there it is. I'm super excited. Would love to hear what you think of the premise.

Jain
Regular

Re: VN with dogs as protagonists, trouble finding style

#2 Post by Jain »

I love stories featuring animals!

From what you've written so far, it reminds me a bit of Inugami, a little of Tokyo Jungle and of course, Watership Down.

I'd definitely play a VN like this!

Have you checked Deviant Art for artists? I'm sure you'll find artists who focus on animals, there.

Good luck!

Yunou
Regular

#3 Post by Yunou »

I am awful at drawing animals--especially animals with distinct emotions. But the first thing that came to my mind for this kind of project would be a very stylized, bold-lined, colour-pop type image. I did a super quick sketch of what I mean.

Maybe this could help?

I would also make it look a bit more gritty and dark personally, but that's just what I would do.

sgt_pugs

#4 Post by sgt_pugs »

I love stories featuring animals!

From what you've written so far, it reminds me a bit of Inugami, a little of Tokyo Jungle and of course, Watership Down.
Thanks! glad you like the premise. I love Tokyo Jungle. Watership Down scared the crap out of me when I was a kid (I've since come to like it, but it freaked me out to see cartoon rabbits die when I was younger lol). Do you mean inugami as in the japanese spirit dog monster thingy or is there a game? never heard of it....

Yunou, I think that is closer to what I'm looking for! I'm definitely looking for something with bold lines. Your picture reminds me a little of Okami, that kind of storybook feel or traditional japanese paintings.

I've done some searching on Deviant Art and found a few styles I like hopefully I can get some responses...

Yunou
Regular

#5 Post by Yunou »

sgt_pugs wrote:
Yunou, I think that is closer to what I'm looking for! I'm definitely looking for something with bold lines. Your picture reminds me a little of Okami, that kind of storybook feel or traditional japanese paintings.

I've done some searching on Deviant Art and found a few styles I like hopefully I can get some responses...
Yeah, definitely. I think by using bold, stylized character designs, you can definitely avoid the "furry"-type aesthetic and thereby sidestep that kind of appeal. Plus, for an animal protags, you gotta get something to definitely make it stand out. I'm looking forward to seeing your characters in whatever's artists style you choose!

SexBomb
Regular
Completed: Up All Night, Reaper's Rite, Nameless
Projects: Up All Night 2
Organization: Fiendish Fiction
Tumblr: sexviolenceandvideogames
Deviantart: cooldrinkofwater
itch: fiendishfiction

#6 Post by SexBomb »

Howdy! I'm excited to find out more about this project, as I'm all about VNs featuring animals. In fact, I've recently started production on one of my own, though I'm not very far along yet. My style might be a bit too "Disney" for the project, but I would be more than happy to get involved. Here are some samples of mine specifically featuring dogs/dog-like animals:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
Link 5

Let me know if you're interested in my work! I'd love to hop on board. Otherwise, I hope you find what you're looking for. I suggest compiling a number of samples featuring styles similar to what you're looking for, so potential artists can match their skills with your needs. Cheers!

Jain
Regular

#7 Post by Jain »

-- Do you mean inugami as in the japanese spirit dog monster thingy or is there a game? never heard of it....

It was this manga about dogs. Got really dark, really quickly.
Last edited by Jain on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgt_pugs

#8 Post by sgt_pugs »

Artalija wrote:There was this manga about dogs. Got really dark, really quickly.
You weren't kidding... read the first chapter. Lots of blood. Awesome. I liked it and I want to finish it.

SexBomb thank you for the offer! I looked through your portfolio and all your characters jump out to me as really expressive. I will keep your work in mind.

btw I read through your post on "The Trial of Reynard the Fox". The idea sounds fantastic. I will leave more complete feedback on the post but I think it sounds like an engaging story!

SexBomb
Regular
Completed: Up All Night, Reaper's Rite, Nameless
Projects: Up All Night 2
Organization: Fiendish Fiction
Tumblr: sexviolenceandvideogames
Deviantart: cooldrinkofwater
itch: fiendishfiction

#9 Post by SexBomb »

Thanks so much sgt_pugs, I'm looking forward to your feedback on Reynard. Best of luck with Spot's Last Stop. :)