A new Mystery game

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

A new Mystery game

#1 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Hello, I'm new here and I'm also new to VN being that I haven't played more than 5 titles. Although completely different from the games I'm used to playing, VN style is based more on story that on action or puzzles and that in itself was interesting, although that could be a perception case. After playing these fascinating games and soon coming upon Ren'ai I decided to give it a try. I decided to make a mystery game since I'm a big fan of mystery in movies, games, and books. I won't attempt to make the 'standard" mystery game, where you're not really solving the mystery rather than it on folds in front of you or as the story continues. I'd like to try a different style putting the player in complete control of the investigation. They will be given complete authority to look into the case as they see fit and it will be up to them to piece together the puzzle and solve the case. As I said before I haven't played many VN games so I don't know if mystery games are big or if this style has been used or not. I'm working on the demo as I speak and I hope to be finished soon. This demo, however, is only a test and has very little to do with the game as I am using this to test my theory and to learn the Ren'ai engine. If this demo is successful I will begin working on the game project using all of the information acquired from the demo and user feedback. I appreciate your corporation and I hope to deliver a game that everyone can enjoy. :idea:

x__sinister
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi, Grim

Re: A new Mystery game

#2 Post by x__sinister »

How far along are you into the script?
Do you have anything down?

No offense, but no one is going to be interested unless you put your plot and characters down.
Well, I'm exaggerating, but it's a wise idea to get those things done before you advertise.
It happens: you say, 'I'm gonna make this!' and people get excited, but you don't have anything done, and it becomes a chore, and then people are disappointed. ):

What's the plot?
Who is the main character?
Use other posts in this section as an example.

And, mystery hasn't been used too often, but it's starting to come back.
Anyway, good luck with your project.
A literate roleplaying community.

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran

#3 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

The script is already finished and I'm almost done with the characters and background, it shouldn't be much longer. As I said before this demo is only a test and has very little to do with the game itself since I am using this to test my theory and to learn the Ren'ai engine. I understand where you are coming from and I'd hate to disappoint anyone that is why it is important to be sure I can complete the task before starting it, which is why I chose to make this demo.

As far as the demo itself is concerned, the main character is Ichigo Naro, upon arriving at school one morning Nanako (a friend) comes to him with a problem, she has lost her favorite bracelet and she believes it was stolen. Now it is up to him to find out who stole it if infact it was stolen at all. The story is pretty simple and the puzzle or mystery may be easy or difficult depending on your deductive ability.

Debra2112
Completed: Another Day
Projects: It's Your Choice... Really(WIP)

#4 Post by Debra2112 »

Sounds interesting. :D
(L) Live life to the fullest (L)

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran

#5 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Thank you, if this demo works out well I will begin working on the full game project asap, now I'm sure some may wonder, what does he mean by "test his theory" by that I mean to test the idea of how the game levels out, character interactions, character art, background art, etc.

Debra2112

#6 Post by Debra2112 »

I'm new to this stuff 2 :D I've made a game...but no has told me whether it's ok or not.

x__sinister
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi, Grim

#7 Post by x__sinister »

Ah, so this is just a little project of your own, so you can test out the system?
That seems like a smart idea. It's good to get to know what you're doing, first.

If you manage to start making the whole game, you should make a new thread with character information and such. You should give it a special title, too, because 'Mystery Game' is pretty non-specific.

Good luck! :D
A literate roleplaying community.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

I usually like mystery games as I usually enjoy some investigation. BUT... while I've initially loved the concept of older games like Maupiti Island (where you could do *anything* at any time, no railroading), I also never finished any of them because of the sheer freedom. Many people, many places, many items... and even red herrings, argh! XD... I'd say... a bit *too* realistic in that you might have had to be an actually great investigator to solve them (either that or playing many times and doing some omniscient choices, which is kinda... cheating).

This said... since you seem keen on doing such a game, how do you think you will go about it?

And side question : which games of the genre have you tried so far? So I know if I can introduce you to some others ^_^

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran

#9 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Debra, if it's not to much trouble send me a link to your game and I'll be happy to rate it.

Thanks for the advice x___sinister I'll be sure to do that. I started to give this demo a proper name but "the case of the missing bracelet' didn't have enough bang to it.

Good point Monele, I've played those types of games and after a while it does become tedious and it's all to easy to lose your way or miss something important. For some of these games it would take more than a great investigator to solve the case you'd need a huge magnifying glass and a magician just to find the clues the creator just so happen to leave out or hid so well that even they forgot where it was. I do plan to give the player choice, choice of actions based more on decision than location. The story takes place in a private school in a remote area, so you won't have to worry about a huge map to search. Adding to that you will find clues and get suggestions as to how you should continue, but of course the final decision is up to you.
I've played a few mystery games before (none VN) and they are entertaining but it doesn't feel like I'm solving the case but more like I'm following along behind the detective, kinda like the student trailing behind his teacher while he explains why the sky is blue instead of getting a telescope and laptop and doing the research himself. Not saying that those types of games are bad just that when I think of mystery I want intrigue or at least something to make that hamster in my head jump back on it's wheel.

Games played fatal hearts, realiztions, that little ren'ai video, open days, viper T something demo I found a while back and I think that's it. Gladly take any suggestions....

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

Oh, I meant investigation games, not VNs actually ^_^. The only examples that came to mind in that domain are... Mortville Manor, Maupiti Island and Murders in Venice. There are others I know, but they're of the linear-track variety, which you don't seem to want to go for :)

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran

#11 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Well, nothing is set in stone at the moment I suppose, but I wouldn't mind hearing more. It could be of use in the future.

Debra2112

#12 Post by Debra2112 »

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran

#13 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Thanks Debra, I'm downloading as we speak...I'll let you know how I like it.

Debra2112

#14 Post by Debra2112 »

ok :D

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran

#15 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

I posted this in your thread but I'll say it here as well, nice work on the game, and to update all of the characters and backgrounds are finished now to put the glue to it. :mrgreen: