【otome】ethereality -forbid- (Dark · Fantasy)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
LunarNoir

【otome】ethereality -forbid- (Dark · Fantasy)

#1 Post by LunarNoir »

ethereality
- f o r b i d -
There is a legend told throughout the entire country of Japan - one of the more untold tales, of two clashing races. One of them is the Jiang Shi, those whom are simply reanimated corpses, feeding off of human life energy (or blood), and Taoists, priests who are able to seal these corpses back to their rightful places. For many years, these two races have been at war with a bitter relationship. The population of Jiang Shi, however, was steadily growing, while the population of Taoists was steadily declining... to the point of near-extinction.

This is the story of a girl, one who thinks she lives a normal life as a normal human. Yet, she stumbles across a certain seal that may end up forever changing her life. After three boys - all who bear their own dark and surprising secrets - transfer at once into Serania Academia, she quickly learns about her identity as one of the last Taoists standing, and these boys have no intention of letting her go, but at this girl learns more about them little by little, she can not help but feel something else... something entirely and eternally forbidden.

C A S T.
Kikuri Akiyama 「秋山 菊理」· “Trust can get a bit complicated, don't you think?”
  • Kikuri is optimistic yet timid towards other people. Her shell is not easily broken down, and she keeps many things to herself. She has a strong belief that trust is important to maintain any relationship. Despite her timid exterior, she is strong-willed, and would never give in easily… especially to the enemy.

Asura Ito「糸 波空」· “I have nothing to say to you.”
  • A cold hearted and blunt person; many people tend to stay away from him. Nothing seems to come out of his lips except words that leave eternal wounds. Yet, Kikuri can't help but see something different in him, especially after he plays the piano - why does the piece sound so familiar…?

Kohaku Tsukima 「月間 琥珀」· “This... you're a... Taoist?”
  • Kohaku is smiley and charming. He is the person every typical and feminine girl would want to date. He is curious to a fault - he won't stop prying until it's satisfied. Yet, despite this smiley persona, his past haunts him eerily - and why does he seem to hate his brother so much…?

Kou Tsukima 「月間 洪」· “You could say that... hm, I'm interested in you. Maybe.”
  • His cheerful character never ceases to cheer other people up in a matter of minutes. Kikuri even finds him a little cute and maybe a bit innocent… right? Also, for some reason, his relationship is on a sharp and bitter end right now with his brother - can he patch things up with Kohaku?

Violla 「ビオラ 」· “Be careful of who you talk to. I hate to break it, but you're no longer safe anymore.”
  • Violla is mature, and acts sort of like an older sister, if anything. She mediates arguments and fights, scolds, and all of that. Her empathy is obvious though, as she is able to put herself into others' shoes easily enough; she is always considerate of another's feelings.

Rion 「リオン」· “Here. For you. Y-You looked a little down, so I made it. Do you have a problem with that?”
  • Rion is always someone open to talk to. He likes getting to know other people, but sometimes he is a bit awkward as well. Everybody around the school knows that Rion likes Violla, though he himself would never admit it. He, after all, is still a bit too shy for that… ♡

Special dedicationImage
Midnight Jiang Shis

F E A T U R E S.
Image A dark and fantastical story with a romance that is highly forbidden.
Image Enjoy approximately 110K word count total, spiced with great visuals.
Image Be able to pursue a total of three characters, all with their own secret.
Image Your choices matter. Which type of ending you get - that is all up to you.
Image Also enjoy around 15 vibrant and beautiful CG illustrations in-game.
Image Some partial voice acting may be incorporated in the game as well.
Image Available DLC which features ViollaXRion romance relationship ♡
Image Lastly, this game will be completely free to play - no money charge!

R E C R U I T M E N T | J O B S
Although this game is still in early development, I am open to helpers who are interested and are passionate about this project (those who wish to see it done). If you are willing to volunteer your time into this, that would be awesome. However, I am probably also able to give a small monetary compensation - though it may only serve merely as thanks rather than a commission quote deal. Plus, these jobs are not very huge jobs either, I believe. If you are interested, feel free to send a message here, or send a mail to lunoir.vn@gmail.com. This game may not get to be in full production, but this occurrence is quite unlikely to happen.
  • Idea Bouncer. A role for people with a creative mindset of coming up with different scenarios - possibly CG events as well - for the game. If you know that you are able to come up with wacky, creative, emotional, comedic, etc. types of scenarios and you are interested in the project premise, please feel free to send me a message, because I'd love to discuss with you about it! This role puts little pressure on you and shouldn't be too time consuming either, after all.
  • Other. If you have a different skillset that you are interested in offering (and would be an appropriate time to offer), I would be really happy if you are able to help. This includes things like logo / graphic art services, possibly a musician or composer as well? I also would not mind taking in someone specializing in public relations as well.

S T A F F
Coming soon. Check by later, maybe!
F E E D B A C K
Answering these questions will really help me... especially when it comes to motivation, because knowing that people like this story is what pushes me to get something like this done. Even if it's just one or a few questions, anything will help me, trust me! Obviously though, you don't have to feel obligated to answer the questions. I am willing to do a feedback for a feedback though (sort of like a trade) if you want to; just let me know!
  • 1 What do you currently think of the general storyline and/or cast?
    2 Setting aside rather vague descriptions for the character bios, who is your favorite out of the entire cast? Why?
    3 Whose route do you think will end up to be the most emotional or sad? How about the most dark or bloodiest?
    4 Would you be a Taoist (priest) or a Jiang Shi ("vampire")? What would your personality/way of life be like?
    5 Do you have any other thoughts, comments, or questions about the game?

caterwaulings
Regular
Organization: Lux Corona Media
Tumblr: luxcorona

Re: 【otome】ethereality -forbid- (Dark · Fantasy)

#2 Post by caterwaulings »

Hey! This looks really cool.

1. The summary you gave is a little confusing, so while I think it sounds cool I have a few questions. Was she already going to this academy? How do they find out she is a Taoist? Etc.

2. Maybe Kou?

3. I think it would be most interesting if you turned the expectation on it's head--people would probably expect Kou's line to be the most lighthearted. Maybe make it the darkest.

4. This is hard for me to decide with the limited info I have. Also, the term 'jiang shi' is Chinese, did you intend that? It is 'kyonshī' in Japanese. It would come down to the benefits and challenges for living either life. After all, if a Taoist's job is to hunt jiang shi, wouldn't it be cool to make them sort of like a magical creature bounty hunter? I think that would be an amazing sort of lineage. You could do something else really cool with the jiang shi and their ways of taking down the Taoists.

5. #4 kinda goes into that a bit.

I am interested in being someone you can bounce ideas off of. Ideally, you would do the same for me. I am going to get a post up for my game-in-progress sometime today and maybe we can see if we'd be a good match to chat. I've written several full-length novels (fantasy, historical fantasy, urban fantasy), and also am someone who has helped other authors develop their works.

LunarNoir

#3 Post by LunarNoir »

caterwaulings wrote:Hey! This looks really cool.

1. The summary you gave is a little confusing, so while I think it sounds cool I have a few questions. Was she already going to this academy? How do they find out she is a Taoist? Etc.

2. Maybe Kou?

3. I think it would be most interesting if you turned the expectation on it's head--people would probably expect Kou's line to be the most lighthearted. Maybe make it the darkest.

4. This is hard for me to decide with the limited info I have. Also, the term 'jiang shi' is Chinese, did you intend that? It is 'kyonshī' in Japanese. It would come down to the benefits and challenges for living either life. After all, if a Taoist's job is to hunt jiang shi, wouldn't it be cool to make them sort of like a magical creature bounty hunter? I think that would be an amazing sort of lineage. You could do something else really cool with the jiang shi and their ways of taking down the Taoists.

5. #4 kinda goes into that a bit.

I am interested in being someone you can bounce ideas off of. Ideally, you would do the same for me. I am going to get a post up for my game-in-progress sometime today and maybe we can see if we'd be a good match to chat. I've written several full-length novels (fantasy, historical fantasy, urban fantasy), and also am someone who has helped other authors develop their works.
Hi! Thank you a lot for the interest. That really does make me happy. (*´▽`*)
Just to keep things organized, I will just answer your questions one by one (by paragraph.)
Once again, thank you for taking time to giving feedback! It's very much appreciated.

I do admit it can be confusing. I don't know many good ways to explain it either though.
Maybe the actual fandom this game is based off may help with a little bit of confusion.
Yes, the protagonist is already enrolled at the Academy at the start of the game.
The others find out because they are naturally drawn to a Taoist's blood, and they can "sense" her out.
Hopefully, these answers are good enough to satisfy your curiosity, but let me know if you have more.
Or, you can check out more about the fandom which this is based off of here.

I'm glad you like Kou, as he is also one of my favorite characters in this game.
At least, I hope that's the case; you don't sound too sure of yourself there.
Though I did admit myself character descriptions are a bit vague, so I can't push you.
You do bring up a good point, and I intend to try and give it my shot to take you up on your advice!

Yes, "Jiang Shi" is indeed Chinese. I actually don't know the Japanese term; it's nice to know.
Thank you for sharing! Though, I will just stick with Chinese because of the original fandom.
It's sort of meant to be a fan-game in terms of concept; the cast is different though.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea; I could always incorporate battles or something in the game.
I will definitely go to think about it, definitely!

As you can see, you did give me a few ideas from your feedback to incorporate into the game.
So, needless to say, thank you a lot for the feedback, and I would be happy to do the same for you.
It's great to know that you have finished full novels, especially about fantasy (one of my favorite!)
I will make sure to keep a good lookout for your in-progress game, and give the feedback I can give.
And yes, definitely - if we are a good match, we can always chat together about idea bouncing! ❤

caterwaulings
Regular
Organization: Lux Corona Media
Tumblr: luxcorona

#4 Post by caterwaulings »

I didn't know this was a fandom game, so that would have been good to know :)

Yes, it was a little vague and I am not really sure about the fandom which does make it a little more difficult to give good advice... But I hope it helped at least a little.

Ah, okay! I was confused because the jiang shi is Chinese but the names were all Japanese.

I did put up a link about my samples, etc., in my post here.
Cate, Novelist & Story Consultant -- See my info here