Backgrounds - your thoughts on this style

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Mirena
Regular
Completed: Vortex

Backgrounds - your thoughts on this style

#1 Post by Mirena »

The image below was made in SketchUp (a 3-d program I can actually comprehend). Windows were not made by me, but they should be okay to use. At least it seems like it by the terms on http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/.

The question is, what are your thoughs about having to look at backgrounds like this during a longer game? Is something like this passable? Or could it work better with more filtering? Opinions are appreciated.

This is in no way the final version of this scene. Chairs and more clutter still need to be added. I just want some input before I go much further.

EDIT: Thanks to your input my plans changed a little. NEW PICTURE IS IN A POST BELOW.
Attachments
office....jpg
Last edited by Mirena on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Backgrounds - your thoughts on this style

#2 Post by monele »

Why not try a version with a character sprite on it? I think the combination of both will really tell if it works. Some sprites might work and others not.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Two criticisms. The first is that the composition is boring... Instead of facing the camera into a flat wall, why not go and rotate the room a bit, so you get some nice angled lines to break up the monotony.

There's also the problem that the textures used aren't scaled, so it's easy to see the repeats.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Wintermoon »

Ouch. Let's see...
  • The edges are very messy. Even a non-artist in MS-Paint could do better.
  • The colors are just bad.
  • The texture on the desk-thing looks out of place, since it's the only part of the scene with texture.
  • No lighting, no shadows.
  • Desk-thing is a giant rectangular solid with no details whatsoever.
  • Bad composition.
  • Pure black windows staring out into nothingness.
If there were some individual problems, I would encourage you to fix them. However, the whole picture is one giant problem.

EDIT: Now that I look at the picture with my other computer, I see that areas which looked pure black on my main computer actually contain some detail. The picture still looks quite bad, but not as bad as I previously thought.
Last edited by Wintermoon on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by N0UGHTS »

:stares:

...What's that white thing on the desk? And that black thing...
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#6 Post by Samu-kun »

SketchUp's a pretty basic 3D modeling tool. Even though it should work with adequate results for a visual novel, I certainly wouldn't ask people to grade the quality of just the backgrounds by itself. In my opinion, I don't really like SketchUp that much because from what I can tell from using it, it can only render the image real time using OpenGL. You probably want to really restrict the poly count if you want your computer to render the images in any sort of reasonable time period. (Unless you have a nice graphics card) Also, as with any program, the more you practice, the better you will become. I think you could make adequately good backgrounds with SketchUp, just as long as you have the patience and practice.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#7 Post by rioka »

These types of backgrounds can work. You'll just have to find a character style that works with it as monele mentioned. You know, using it as is in the screenshot is not the only option. You can take that screen shot and make adjustments on it via Photoshop/GIMP or other graphic software program. You can all-out CG it, use some filter like what is done with photos, add slight touches of color, turn everything to black and white for an artsy look, and so on. You can get creative with it if you really put your mind to it.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#8 Post by Alessio »

Sketchup is quite okay IMHO, at least I got better results with it than by trying to draw things myself (I'm pretty bad at drawing backgrounds). I've got some examples in the Screenshot contest thread and in this post of my the Cyberlin development thread.

It does offers some basic lighting features. Or then you could export the file to Kerkythea and raytrace it there.

I do agree about some general criticism of that office picture, though. Try a different angle like PyTom suggested. And also add more details (get some ideas from real office pictures about what could be added).

Adding to what rioka said, actually if you're good at colouring you could just export the outlines and then draw the rest yourself.
Current projects: Visual Novel "Cyberlin"

Mirena
Regular

#9 Post by Mirena »

I guess I was a bit unclear, I wasn't asking for opinions on the picture itself since I know it's bad, but rather on if you would stand looking at that type of picture during a longer visual novel.

Still, I tried to experiment some with line settings I discovered today (>.<) and change some other things (angle, etc.). But since it's hard to do anything much about light settings and the default textures are not incredibly nice looking, I might just take the lines and then color it in photoshop, like a person suggested. I just need to find a preset that'll make it easy to color.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Here's a quickly colored version, not final but it'll probably look along those lines (the sprite isn't final either). I'll have to experiment with the lines somehow to see if I can make them look nicer.. re-tracing them in photoshop is out of the question though.
Attachments
morelikeit.jpg

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

Muuuuuch better actually :D. I'd be fooled into thinking you made the whole thing by hand at that point ^.^. I think you should go with this method :)

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by musical74 »

In regards to the first picture, I don't think I'd be able to look at such a picture for a long period of time....too boring, really...maybe I wouldn't notice it with the characters there, though...

I really like the second picture. That I could look at on a long game and have no problems with :) *agrees with Monele, this is a good one to use*
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

HAXLION
Regular
Projects: "Everything"

#12 Post by HAXLION »

Looks like a rough version of what they used a little in Chaos;Head.

Seems kind of awkward, if you ask me. Not BAD, but awkward.

Mirena
Regular

#13 Post by Mirena »

@HAXLION: You've got me a little confused here.. are you referring to the first or the second version? ^^'