Shards of the City [Action][Cyberpunk Fantasy][GxB]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Harick
Veteran

Shards of the City [Action][Cyberpunk Fantasy][GxB]

#1 Post by Harick »

Shards of the City
Kyra was raised to be proud that she was born in the empire. She was told so at home, at school, by her neighbors, and by the media.
Because of that pride she joined the military and eventually got promoted to the leader of the military police on the island Majorca, a major trade hub.
A difficult job not made easier by the fact that half the island is controlled by the empires greatest enemy, the Republic of Kara.

But she wasn't proud of her position.

For that position showed her the extent of the empire's corruption, as not a day went by without her having to deal with some sort of criminal.
And then one day, a Karaginian entered her office and told her he was her new boss, and told her that she was going to help him find magical crystals named shards.
She was confused and hesitant, but he gave her an offer she couldn't turn down:

"I'll make you proud to serve the empire again"
God my writing sounds pretentious.
Overview
Hello there, I'm Harick, tried making a VN about a year ago but I couldn't cause i have no idea how to write certain parts of it. But now I'm gonna try again with something hopefully more manageable.
"Shards of the City" (working title) is a cyberpunk fantasy, think Shadowrun, just toned down, inspired by Deus Ex and Star Wars, but that doesn't tell all that much. The idea was to take the setting of a Cyberpunk story with all the oppression and technology and stuff, and mix it with the heroic and fantastical parts of Star Wars with the force and all. So like, heroic in that one person can make a huge difference, but Cyberpunk-y in that they aren't usually in a position to make such a change. I worded this part horribly but hopefully you get the idea.
I'm probably gonna do everything myself, though I'm considering hiring someone for the GUI and logo, though I have an idea for the logo already, it's just making it that's the problem
Plot
This is the story of Kyra, as seen above, and her position in the escalating conflict in the island-city(city-island?) Majorca. She is tasked to find "Shards"(working name) that give the person who holds it magical powers. The search for the Shards makes her come into conflict with the criminal underbelly of the city, mega corporations trying to get the Shards for themselves, religious extremists, and the Republic of Kara. That's the plan at least, might have to cut something, we'll see.
Characters
Kyra, the Protagonist
Somewhat jaded and always stressed, she's the leader of the military police in the city. She yearns to remove the corruption from the empire but has no means to do so. Until she got an offer from Caelus, at least if he's to be trusted
Caelus/ Caius
Clearly Karaginian yet loyal to the empire, few, if any know who he really is, but it's clear he has a high position in the empire's government. He is apparently a software developer.
Reman/Hades (working name, potential love interest)
Working directly under Caelus, he used to be an information broker for a corporation before his entire operation was dismantled by Caelus's orders. He has a strong desire to control his life, yet that control always just seems out of reach. He's cunning and always scheming, but affectionate.
Alec (potential love interest)
Nervous, yet steadfast, Alec is Kyra's most loyal subordinate and a good friend. He always found the propaganda unnerving yet he joined the military police as he felt that was better than working for a mega corporation, but at the moment the only reason he hasn't quit is his loyalty to Kyra.
Asher (minor antagonist, potential love interest, might get cut)
Second in command of the criminal gang "The Screaming Skulls" he used to be independent before Kyra forced him to join his now boss. He is content with his position as he isn't very charismatic and prefers to have something to fall back on so that he can be as reckless as he wants. Serious most of the time, but can be pretty playful at the expense of others. He seeks the shards for a massive power-grab.
*More characters to come when I'm done outlining
Progress and Questions
Outlining: about 25%
Art: 1%
Writing: 0%
Music: For some reason I have like 8 hours of music I can use, so I'm probably fine there

Why do I always make posts at night, I always end up regretting it. Anyway, got some questions for you.

1) Does the story interest you? Why/Why not?
2) Did I explain the story properly or was there something you feel wasn't explained very well?
3) Did you find any of the characters interesting? If so who and why?
4) How would you like to see fight scenes portrayed in a Visual novel? With some sort of gameplay? Lots of CGs? Something else?
5) What do you expect from the story? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, am tired)
6) Is there anything you would like to see in this story?