The Princess in the Tower[Otome][RPG][Resource Management]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Empish
Veteran
Projects: Efemural Hearts, It Ends With Graduation
itch: empish

The Princess in the Tower[Otome][RPG][Resource Management]

#1 Post by Empish »

You're a beautiful princess. Awesome.

Some sorcerer guy is obsessed with you and kidnaps you. Not so awesome.

He says he won't let you out until you agree to marry him. Even less awesome.

There's a guy coming to rescue you! Woohoo.

He gets captured and thrown into the tower prison cell next to you. Booo.

He has a set of lockpicks on him that someone forgot to take from him. Wow.

It's at this point that you need to take things into your own hands. You steal the picks and free yourself. Will you also rescue your rescuer, or will you leave him behind? Will you fight your way out or take over the tower? Or will you pick the sneaky route? It's all up to you, princess.

This is based off a just for funsies first chapter that I coded up in JavaScript (text only) to teach myself how to do it. And yet, even though I have another project going, this one still hovers in the back of my mind. It has pounced upon me today, and demanded that I make a thread for it. It's holding my brain hostage, please send hel-aaaagh.

This game concept is a bit odd in that it has different gameplay aspects to it depending on what you choose to do. You can play it like an RPG and escape the tower. Or you can take over the tower slowly and manage your new holdings. Or you can play it like a visual novel and seduce the sorcerer into freeing you. In fact most playthroughs would have some of each, I'm sure.

The entire game would take place in various levels of the tower (you are originally imprisoned on the top floor). There are various monsters and minions of the sorcerer to charm/fight/evade/etc, as well as puzzles to solve in order to advance. There are secrets there too. Yaaaas, various secrets. <-< >->

Questions:
  • What do you think of the concept in general? Would you play a game like this?
  • What do you expect from the RPG aspect of the game?
  • What do you expect from the Resource Management (can't think of a better term for this) portion of the game, where you have to manage the part of the tower you control?
  • How would you expect the various aspects/gameplay elements to interact with one another?
  • What course of action would you choose?
  • Should I leave the princess' personality up to the player, or give her her own attitude?
  • Any other questions/comments?

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

Re: The Princess in the Tower[Otome][RPG][Resource Managemen

#2 Post by Scribbles »

Questions:

What do you think of the concept in general? Would you play a game like this?
What do you expect from the RPG aspect of the game?
What do you expect from the Resource Management (can't think of a better term for this) portion of the game, where you have to manage the part of the tower you control?
How would you expect the various aspects/gameplay elements to interact with one another?
What course of action would you choose?
Should I leave the princess' personality up to the player, or give her her own attitude?
Any other questions/comments?
It's an interesting concept, sounds comedic. I'm interested in seeing and hearing more :)

hmm... a battle system? a inventory and puzzle system?

Not sure what I could expect from resource management? I'm not super interested in that kind of game mechanic.

I have no idea, it sounds like several different types of games mashed together, but perhaps it's too early to tell? It sounds like it would be a massive undertaking o.o

I have no idea, I'd probably go for whatever route had the guy I was interested in in it, and there isn't a lot of information about the guys lol

This is debate-worthy. I know everyone has a differing preference, but I don't tend to mind either way. Unless the predefined personality is really annoying or stupid (as in the character is a really clueless)
Image - Image -Image

Empish
Veteran

#3 Post by Empish »

Hi Scribbles! Thanks for your input. I've only got 2 guys planned out so far, the rescuer and the sorcerer, but there will definitely be more (and maybe a girl or two?). And what's more, I plan to have them most or all available no matter what course of action you go for. So yes, it's gonna be massive. This will probably take a long time to make, ehehe. Hopefully it ends up not being too confusing, because it makes sense in my head at least.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

What do you think of the concept in general? Would you play a game like this?: It sounds tricky to work with but I like it.
What do you expect from the RPG aspect of the game?: This is sort of hard to explain but...nothing fancy or anything? Just traditional RPG gameplay, I guess. There are a lot of ways that you can go with it (stats, levels, rock-paper-scissors, items/armor...) so whatever way you think would work is probably fine.
What do you expect from the Resource Management (can't think of a better term for this) portion of the game, where you have to manage the part of the tower you control?: I guess what I'm wondering here is how the story would end. Maybe making a deal with the sorcerer that if you make x amount in y time, he'll let you go?
How would you expect the various aspects/gameplay elements to interact with one another?: I can't say for sure, I don't think I've played a game like this before.
What course of action would you choose?: Honestly, probably all of them at some point, but I think I'd try to rescue my rescuer the first couple times before being mean.
Should I leave the princess' personality up to the player, or give her her own attitude?: I personally prefer pre-defined personalities, but if there's more focus on gameplay and less on story, an undefined personality could work just as well.

Empish
Veteran

#5 Post by Empish »

Zelan, thanks so much for your input. :]

I will keep that in mind about keeping the RPG standard. As of now I don't have anything too fancy planned for that aspect of it, so I guess I'll keep it that way.

And as you take over the tower you'll be basically kicking the sorcerer out of his own place, mwuahaha. Or you can choose to ally with him.