lucid dreaming - [gxb] [gxb] [friendship]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
seokjins
Projects: daydreaming

lucid dreaming - [gxb] [gxb] [friendship]

#1 Post by seokjins »

lucid dreaming*

*title still being decided, this is a temporary title till decided

introduction

hi, i'm jay! lucid dreaming has been a personal project since nanoreno 2016. then, it was only a base idea and a few bad sketches. but i'm trying to take it more seriously, as it's my personal goal to get this done eventually, as it is my very first project. i've made a thread on this idea once before, but it's gotten a lot more organized since then!

genre/s ; friendship, slice of life/fantasy

plot ; (excuse the lack of official description) the story takes place in the eyes of hera, a teenage girl. hera is a punny name short for heroine. hera somehow gets stuck in the dream world, and her goal is to try and figure out why she's stuck there, and/or find a way out. she, of course, can't manage it on her own. she encounters a few different people, and from there, she can forge new friendships depending on who she decides to travel with.
the dream world ; in more detail, think of the dream world as a big hotel. there are rooms everywhere, and inside each room is a person's dream. and rooms have doors. the only way to leave your room and successfully enter the dream world, is to be particularly skilled in lucid dreaming. it is extremely easy to leave as a lucid dreamer. hera, however, is not a lucid dreamer - and no matter how hard she tries, she can't leave.

features
- three people to forge friendships with (2boy, 1girl), and one secret 'true' friendship (girl)
- very linear choices, each person (minus secret) has two endings, the 'good' end, and the 'bad' end
- the 'bad' end does not end your game. the bad end sends you back to the start of it all, to keep going until you unlock the true end.
- PUNNY NAMES
- anD THE FACT THAT THE SECRET TRUE END FRIENDSHIP IS A G I R L
- oh and its free lmao

characters
hera - the protagonist. she,,, doesn't actually have a set personality yet. that's my own fault, i was focused on the other characters NOT EVEN THE DAMN PROTAG IM SO SORRY
galen - his name means 'calm' so that's what he is, the calm, happy sensible dude loL - he's a dream keeper, aka he roams the halls of the dream world making sure everything is in order. he's the first person hera encounters when she finds herself "lucid" while dreaming, and since galen is a Nice Guy™ (plus his job description lol), he quickly takes it upon himself to help hera out. (hera, of course, can opt out and hang out with the other nerds)
seth - his name has multiple meanings but i'm opting for the one that specially means the 'god of chaos' or whatever. SO YA'LL GUESSED IT, HE'S THE ASSHOLE OF THE GROUP. but he actually has a meaningful backstory that makes him an asshole and i'm not obligated to share or else it makes his route kinda extremely boring. but anyway, he's the angsty brooding one. his favorite activity is messing with the dream keepers by making their job significantly harder by opening as many doors as he can. hera can run into him by catching him opening the door to her dream room.
adabel ; adabel means lovely/happy. so she's the happy, over enthusiastic optimistic one. her mind is so apparently hyped up on drugs and by drugs i mean candy that she's a skilled lucid dreamer. she's probably the most normal one in the entire group, despite also being the weird one. she's what you get if you threw puppies, skittles, and bunny socks into a pot and came out an explosion of pure adabel. she's also a bit eDgY™ - you can run into adabel by simply chosing to roam the halls alone - and she obviously decides the best course of action is to cling herself to a complete stranger because hell she has nothing else better to do
cynthia ; cynthia is the secret route. cynthia was my original name for her but is going under changes for a better one. all i can say about cynthia is that no matter what route you're on, she always seems to pop up and say hi - or just stare

all character sketches - i only have galen, adabel, and hera as of right now (in that order too).

progress
......i have nothing to say about this other than basic outlining 100% minus hera's personality and a few character sketches,,,

team
currently, it's only me and a friend.
me ; p much all art, story
friend ; (future) programming, story
if for some reason anyone's interested in doing this project with us, i am totally down. i'll accept anything,, (i'd even let someone else take over the art aspect tbh)

conclusion
welp,, thats it. it's by no means professional and it still needs a lot of work. i probably didn't even explain a lot the best that i can. i hope this idea seems pretty okay to you guys - it's been my baby child and i'm determined to finish it one way or another! if anyone has any questions or suggestions,,, i rlly wanna hear them plS

Neeka
Veteran
Completed: Hearts & Hexes; Winter Flower
Projects: Hearts and Hexes; Our Mountain; The Last Clan: Tale of Oni
Organization: Ostrich Burger Productions
IRC Nick: Neeka
itch: neeka-of-obp

Re: lucid dreaming - [gxb] [gxb] [friendship]

#2 Post by Neeka »

This sounds very interesting! I love anything concerning dreams :) I think you can take it a lot of different ways, like if one of the doors leads to something strange/incoherent or maybe a nightmare even. A lot of my dreams don't quite connect or will have something odd thrown in haha I will definitely play this once it's finished!