Aspen [dating sim] [superheroes]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
quinnsea
Regular
Completed: Birch Sapling
Projects: Aspen, Baleen
Organization: Koimarina Games
IRC Nick: quinnsea
Tumblr: bonnievoyage
Soundcloud: nishiikigoi
itch: koimarina

Aspen [dating sim] [superheroes]

#1 Post by quinnsea »

Last edited by quinnsea on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImage

quinn / 26 / qa analyst, game design hobbyist
icon by church

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Cypress [superheroes]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

quinnsea wrote:Does Cypress sound interesting? What does or doesn't interest you about this game?
I'm interested. Here is a question and a concern...

1. Your fictional world is a thousand years in the future. What is life like for people who live there? Does the setting lean toward optimistic or pessimistic? What sort of beliefs, technologies, and other things exist in your world?

2. Feature creep. How many planned aspects of your VN are absolutely critical, and need to exist in the final product? How many planned aspects aren't necessary, and could be left on the cutting room floor? Plan ahead, and think carefully about what you need to do in order to prevent Cypress from getting canceled or left unfinished.
quinnsea wrote:Some endings are determined by how qualified you are when catching the main villain at the end. Should this be determined by picking the right choices that give you clues throughout the story? Or should stats be raised through time management elements?
Make sure to playtest it. I think you'll benefit by ensuring that your visual novel is not too obtuse or frustrating.
quinnsea wrote:Would a story-driven dating sim not too heavily focused on romance turn you off?
That could be interesting. My current context for stat-driven romance games is Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side: 3rd Story. It doesn't have an external conflict, but it has both gameplay and story, as well as friendship elements. I think that a similar video game could be created with more emphasis on narrative, conflict, and characters just staying friends.

quinnsea
Regular
Completed: Birch Sapling
Projects: Aspen, Baleen
Organization: Koimarina Games
IRC Nick: quinnsea
Tumblr: bonnievoyage
Soundcloud: nishiikigoi
itch: koimarina

Re: Cypress [superheroes]

#3 Post by quinnsea »

Thanks so much for your feedback! I did previously post answers to all of these questions, but now I'm a little afraid I went too publicly in depth and it's all too spoiler-y. I saved it all in a Google Doc so I can refer to it all earlier.

Anyways, thanks a lot for all the great questions. Answering these definitely helped me introspect pretty heavily on how this project is gonna play out.
ImageImage

quinn / 26 / qa analyst, game design hobbyist
icon by church