Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (Complete)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

Re: Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (+demo)

#31 Post by sake-bento »

This looks like more and more fun every time I look at it @__@

IceD
Veteran

#32 Post by IceD »

You've done a great job on customizing the game look and it seems refreshing to me. The art also looks good and you have quite an original drawing style.

This would surely be a good dating sim :) and I wish you luck with it!

chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

#33 Post by chensterrain »

sake-bento wrote:This looks like more and more fun every time I look at it @__@
IceD wrote:You've done a great job on customizing the game look and it seems refreshing to me. The art also looks good and you have quite an original drawing style.

This would surely be a good dating sim :) and I wish you luck with it!
Thankyou! :)

*progress post!*
+ Added some more CGs! Still Marius-related, but I think I've just about completely finished one of his story arcs, and can make a start on either Shuppin or Red-haired dude... :wink:
+ Added a click to continue indicator, hur. Speaking of those, does anyone know if there's a way to automatically add them for every character? I don't mind doing it manually (There aren't a huge amount of characters, after all) and I've added one for text with no speaking character, but a few side- or one-shot characters don't have their own character objects and it's kind of a pain to have to create one for every throwaway character in the game... just a thought, anyway. :lol:
+ More backgrounds! Hur. Only a few more to go, hopefully!
+ While in the demo, succeeding or failing at a task was random (though with a higher chance of success than failure), this now also depends on your stress stat a la Princess Maker 2 - you can still fail with low stress, but it's unlikely, and at high stress levels you'll fail most of the time. All actions now increase stress a tiny bit. Does this sound like a good idea, or kind of irritating? :( It's just that there didn't seem to be much of an incentive to actually relieve stress in the demo!
+ Not actually implemented yet, but I have a good idea for what I want to do with Saturday events now, thanks for the suggestions! :D

*Gets back to work* :P
Attachments
screenshot0053.png
screenshot0052.png
screenshot0057.png

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by monele »

stress stat a la Princess Maker 2
Just one thing that annoyed me in PM2 and Tokimemo : it's never made clear how much stress means "starts being unefficient at stuff", so having the protagonist declare "Phew, I'm exhausted these days" could be a nice reminder that we need to relieve some stress ^.^

As for CTC, I remember there is a "default Character" object that all new Characters are based on and, according to renpy.org, it's called "adv". But I don't remember how you're supposed to change its properties :| Maybe just declare it again with new parameters?

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#35 Post by Vatina »

I only remember how stress works in TM: Girls Side right now, but there the stress bar had to reach 100, and then the character would lie sick for a week, unable to do anything. So all you had to do was stay under 100, and all was fine (not always easy though :P)

But I agree with Monele - somehow give the player a hint of when things get risky, so they know what is going on ^^; Otherwise it can get annoying if there is no way of measuring things.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#36 Post by sake-bento »

I think having the stress level change your likelihood of success is a really good way to go. It means you have to balance that out as well. I third monele's suggestion.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#37 Post by LVUER »

How about the higher the stress, the lower your stats are. In 100%, not only your stats decreased for about 80%, you also have 85% to get sick (the percentage is lowered drastically if the stress is decreased even for a bit). When you're sick, you can do nothing for a week ^_^

chensterrain
Veteran

#38 Post by chensterrain »

Thanks guys! I've decided to go with the stress option after all - at the moment, when her stress is above a certain amount, the heroine complains that she doesn't feel like doing the activity if she fails it, so I'm hoping that'll give players a heads-up? :) (I know what you mean about PM2 - it took me ages to realise it was even stress making her fail everything, as my daughter's constitution was so low that the tiniest amount of stress would have her breaking plates and dropping babies all over the shop... :x ) As for getting sick, I didn't really want to put any week-skipping events in in case the player ended up skipping some event important to the 'plot' (and I'm too lazy / lack the knowledge to code around that!), but once the player's stress hits breaking point, all of their stats will take a hit, so it's the same kind of effect. Thanks for the suggestions! :P

Progress report!
Completely finished the diary menu! The player can now select which club to attend and, if they've heard about each job vacancy / meet the job requirements, apply for a job. Huzzah!

*codes actual events at some point* :P
Attachments
screenshot0056.png
screenshot0058.png
screenshot0059.png
screenshot0060.png

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#39 Post by monele »

Yay, fictional jobs! :D
(as opposed to "yuck, real life jobs" ^^;...)

Also, is it just me or does she seem somewhat squished on these job pictures? (the legs...?)

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

#40 Post by Midnighticequeen »

Awesome

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#41 Post by akemicchi »

xD I haven't commented yet because I haven't had the time, but now I do... And so all I have to say is: WOW! I'm, like, so looking forward to this game. x'D Me, I'm doing something similar too, but yours is so much more well-polished and cute and complete and arg i'm so jealous. X''''D

I love the art. I love it. xD It's so pretty~~ I really like all the characters. 8D I think they're hilarious, especially Marius. The only thing I want to mention is that when I choose an option, and I fail at it, I like going back and finding another option where I'll succeed at (because I'm a cheater). 8D; Hahaha, but what I'm really trying to make a point of is that sometimes every single one of the options make me fail anyway. x_x; I'd like it to be completely randomized in that rollbacking produces new variables... But that's just me. I just don't typically like failing at weekdays. xD Hahahaha. (Even in Tokimemo, I load my file just to replay the week if something goes wrong. 8D Pfwhahahaa.)

I can't wait for Lucky Rabbit Reflex! to be finished!! <33 Good luck! :D

Alphonse
Regular

#42 Post by Alphonse »

Why? Why is this game looking so awesome? And you're doing this all by yourself? Can't wait to play when it's finished. :D I wish I could give suggestions, but I've never played Princess Maker, TokiMemo, or really any visual novels at all. TT-TT All I can offer is encouragement! Do your best! XD

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#43 Post by azureXtwilight »

Now, I wonder what the 4th guy will look like... :mrgreen: WAKU WAKU...

chensterrain
Veteran

Re: Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (+demo +charaprofiles)

#44 Post by chensterrain »

*Not at all an attention-seeking bump! :oops: *

Hurr, I should probably stop updating this until I've made some major progress, but eh. Added some sorta-character-profiles to the first post, and...

+Spiffed up the text box a little. Navigation buttons, hurrah! Though if you use the textbox skip button and end up back on the day planner, the only way to turn it off is by pressing Ctrl, which isn't exactly intuitive. Anyone know if there's some code to set automatic skipping to false? I only know the one for toggling it... :(
+New sprites / backgrounds! All characters now have at least one set of sprites complete, so that's a benchmark at least. Added another male character, too, as it seemed kinda strange to have more female characters than male in a GxB game... now it's a nice even five each, huzzah! :D
+Aughhhhh I hate drawing backgrounds so much ohgod

Thanks again for all the comments!
akemicchi wrote:The only thing I want to mention is that when I choose an option, and I fail at it, I like going back and finding another option where I'll succeed at (because I'm a cheater). 8D; Hahaha, but what I'm really trying to make a point of is that sometimes every single one of the options make me fail anyway. x_x; I'd like it to be completely randomized in that rollbacking produces new variables... But that's just me. I just don't typically like failing at weekdays. xD Hahahaha. (Even in Tokimemo, I load my file just to replay the week if something goes wrong. 8D Pfwhahahaa.)
Haha - actually, I was planning on blocking rollback for those sections... not that I mind people going back and aiming for different stats, it's just that it looks kinda glitchy and unprofessional in a stat-based game...? But I don't know. Either way, I think you'd have to do some kind of total rewrite of rollback or something to make it produce different values the next time around, but I'm not sure - I really don't have any kind of coding knowledge whatsoever! *praises RenPy* :D

(Actually, for a while I was planning on getting rid of rollback altogether and maybe trying to put some kind of readback in... I found delta's awesome readback module, but since I've customised everything I have absolutely no idea how to get it working. :? I just figured it'd save me the hassle of blocking rollback in certain places, but hey... *attempts to figure it out*)

Guess I'll get back to desperately searching for event ideas, hurhur! :P
Attachments
Maybe someday, huh. :D
Maybe someday, huh. :D
screenshot0083.png
screenshot0078.png
screenshot0079.png

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

Re: Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (+demo +charaprofiles)

#45 Post by Midnighticequeen »

I love this game, it gets better and better every time I look at it. The new characters look interesting and I like the new adds to the menus.

I do have to agree with what Monele said earlier, in the job pictures the main character does seem a little squished.

Please keep up the good work! I can't wait to play the game. :D