Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (Complete)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

Re: Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (+demo)

#46 Post by chensterrain »

Thankyou!
monele wrote:Also, is it just me or does she seem somewhat squished on these job pictures? (the legs...?)
Midnighticequeen wrote:I do have to agree with what Monele said earlier, in the job pictures the main character does seem a little squished.
Ah, oops! Completely missed that comment. :oops: Heh, actually I was going for a 'chibi' style... but it didn't really work out. Ah well - stumpy legs for all! :)

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

Re: Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (+demo +charaprofiles)

#47 Post by Midnighticequeen »

:D No problem, I know it's a lot of work making this VN and you're doing a excellent job. I also like the fact that your artwork is different, it's a nice change from what I usually see.

Attolia

#48 Post by Attolia »

Oh god I love it I love it I love it! It's so polished and shiny and well written and awesome. You have a completely customized interface, which I was very, very surprised by. Surprised in a pleasant way of course. I love the fact that your character is completely in your hands, and that introduction where you get to pick a name and everything was very impressive from the get-go. All the dialogue is so natural-sounding too. No awkward bits of 90s slang to worry about. Probably the loveliest demo I've ever seen. By the way, I want to marry Marius, please? He's just too charming. I can't believe you were able to do all this within renpy, never seen anything like it in general. That art style too, completely enchanting. Character perma-blush is a great way to win me over.

I did spot one typo though, I think after you skip the introductory speech and run into Shuupin there's a 'Hear' instead of 'here'. You might have already fixed it by now though.

All in all, I can't find many faults [though I admit I may be biased] and I can't wait to play the finished build.
Lurking...

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#49 Post by azureXtwilight »

Wait a minute! I see two more guys!
So there will be five all together!?
Lucky me ^_^

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#50 Post by sake-bento »

Those character profiles were hilarious. XD

And the new screenshots only pique my interest even more.

chensterrain
Veteran

#51 Post by chensterrain »

Thanks, guys!
Attolia wrote:Oh god I love it I love it I love it! It's so polished and shiny and well written and awesome. You have a completely customized interface, which I was very, very surprised by. Surprised in a pleasant way of course. I love the fact that your character is completely in your hands, and that introduction where you get to pick a name and everything was very impressive from the get-go. All the dialogue is so natural-sounding too. No awkward bits of 90s slang to worry about. Probably the loveliest demo I've ever seen. By the way, I want to marry Marius, please? He's just too charming. I can't believe you were able to do all this within renpy, never seen anything like it in general. That art style too, completely enchanting. Character perma-blush is a great way to win me over.

I did spot one typo though, I think after you skip the introductory speech and run into Shuupin there's a 'Hear' instead of 'here'. You might have already fixed it by now though.

All in all, I can't find many faults [though I admit I may be biased] and I can't wait to play the finished build.
Wow, thankyou! I'm glad you liked it so much! :oops: (though, uh, I am rather fond of 90s slang... *resists the temptation to chuck a few 'tubular's and 'totally awesome's in there* :P ) I'd actually missed that typo too, despite playing through that bit countless times, so thankyou! *might actually need a proofreader at some point... sigh*

Progress!
---------

...not a great deal. Spiffed up the interface some more, though. Woo, splashscreens.
Planned out some character routes, though, and have nearly completely finished coding / CGing one of the boys' routes (the shortest one, admittedly, but eh), so huzzah!
Attachments
New title screen! The other one was just a placeholder. New mouse cursor, too, though I may change it - the little clover bobs around, could probably get kinda irritating...
New title screen! The other one was just a placeholder. New mouse cursor, too, though I may change it - the little clover bobs around, could probably get kinda irritating...
Dude looks like a lady...
Dude looks like a lady...
Beck!
Beck!
I'm not sure why all of my male characters are related to the females... it just kinda happened.
I'm not sure why all of my male characters are related to the females... it just kinda happened.
It was supposed to be a council flat, but I evidently can't draw them...
It was supposed to be a council flat, but I evidently can't draw them...

Alice

#52 Post by Alice »

I absolutely adore this!
The thing I am most impressed with is the script, you manage to make it sound funny yet still almost everyday and avoid becoming too cheesy. This also means your characters are wonderful!
Plus I have to say that being a British girl myself (and I know it's not technically set in the UK) I loved the little nods to British culture (intentional or not).
Beck and Per are looking lovely as well =)
I cant wait to play the finished version, it's great!

Alphonse
Regular

#53 Post by Alphonse »

On the other hand, I'm an American girl, so whenever you made a reference to the British school system, I got really confused. Then I had to remember what my parents said about the Jamaican school system (they're/I'm Jamaican), which I think is similar to the British school system. I think. Then I'd have to end up looking it up on Wikipedia. Although, I suppose that makes it more authentic. And I don't think Americans are your target audience, anyway.

In other news, awww. I'm gonna miss the old title screen. Although the new one looks really nice!

Counter Knuckle

#54 Post by Counter Knuckle »

I'm playing the demo at the moment, and I have to say that this is incredibly fun. The stats system is reminiscent of some other VNs, but it's nice to see stats making an appearance again. As for the characters, they are well-written to say the least, as they come off feeling natural and unforced.

The artwork is a delight as well, though the positioning of the characters' heads bothers me a bit, but it seems to be an aesthetic choice and doesn't detract from the experience as much as I thought initially. That said, I really like the design of the Main Character, she's a mint.

I demand Lucky Rabbit Reflex - Guy's Side, or at least a comical minigame or side story. XD

Keep up the good work, as seeing this demo is getting me psyched about Ren'py again.

Tomoko
Regular

#55 Post by Tomoko »

Hell, I don't know how to describe my opinion of your game demo. I lack at words. My English, well even my motherlanguage isn't good enough to tell you that
YOUR GAME IS REALLY AWESOOOOOOOME!! Magnifique, fantastisch, fenomenal, stupendo!!
Heck, your art is really different, but as everyone already stated lol, I love it as well (well, the chin is kinda characteristic, but who cares ?!)!! Dialogue and interface are really really well-made. Every letter in the textbox screams how much effort you put in it, every picture shouts how many hours you spent in drawing it.
Did I forgot something?
Yea, the introduction! The manga confession scene was really good! I don't have anymore adjectives, I must confess.

I am really looking forward to the full release (is it gonna be commercial or free?)!! And I think these comments everyone posted should motivate you enough, right :D!?

chensterrain
Veteran

#56 Post by chensterrain »

*Monthly progress post, woo! :D*

Thanks so much again, guys! All the feedback so far has been really helpful!
Alice wrote:Plus I have to say that being a British girl myself (and I know it's not technically set in the UK) I loved the little nods to British culture (intentional or not).
Alphonse wrote:On the other hand, I'm an American girl, so whenever you made a reference to the British school system, I got really confused.
Heh, I've got to admit, I'm probably a little guilty of slapping Britishisms in where a more neutral word would've done, though in the case of words relating to the English school system, they were pretty necessary... I wouldn't really want anyone to have to resort to looking things up, though, so I'm sorry about that! :( It's pretty difficult to strike a balance - on one hand, I'm not really aiming at any particular nationality, so I'd like the dialogue to be accessible to all, but at the same time, years of watching American high school movies and not fully understanding half of the terms (GPA? Sophomores? Valedictorians?) never really spoiled my enjoyment any, and I'd kinda like to get some British terms out there... it's difficult!

I was kinda thinking of putting a glossary or something in-game for terms the player needs to understand for the story to progress, though (though I'm trying not to put any specifically British terms in any of the choices, so I guess there shouldn't really be anything it's absolutely necessary to understand?). If anyone finds any terms they don't understand, I'd appreciate it if they could post 'em here! :D
Tomoko wrote:I am really looking forward to the full release (is it gonna be commercial or free?)!!
It'll be free - I don't really know how lucrative the otome game market is, to be honest! That and the entire soundtrack is made up of free downloads... :P

Thanks again for the kind comments! I'm really flattered people seem to be finding my art style unique (even if that's mostly due to the anatomical errors, hurhur :lol: ) - I've pretty much always considered it generic-animu-with-thicker-lines, so I'm glad people think otherwise! If anything seems off, please point it out - I tend not to notice these things. :P

Progress!
-Backgrounds, sprites, quite a few more scenes, blah blah blah. It's actually starting to really feel like a game rather than a rough demo now, which is encouraging! Now to come up with actual event ideas, hurr...
Attachments
screenshot0111.png
screenshot0118.png
screenshot0127.png
screenshot0130.png

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#57 Post by papillon »

I don't really know how lucrative the otome game market is, to be honest! That and the entire soundtrack is made up of free downloads...
If you *wanted* to sell it, help with financing the soundtrack would be available. :) Of course, being free means that certain groups of people will be better able to play and share it, and I certainly wouldn't try to bully a freeware maker into going commercial for no reason!

Anyway, the game looks great as usual, good luck!

chensterrain
Veteran

#58 Post by chensterrain »

Heh, thanks! I do think I'd want to keep this freeware, though, just because there don't seem to be many (any? I'm not sure, to be honest!) free otome simulation games about, and my original aim was pretty much just to make a free, English Tokimemo... if this ever gets done, though, maybe the next one'll be commercial?

...*cough*. A girl can dream... :P

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#59 Post by azureXtwilight »

Yaay! Freeware! THANK YOU!
Commercial games are still a problem to me, coz I'm still in high school and I don't have dollars XD
Ahem, wait a minute, is that a timed menu at the 4th screenshot?

chensterrain
Veteran

#60 Post by chensterrain »

azureXtwilight wrote:Ahem, wait a minute, is that a timed menu at the 4th screenshot?
Yup! There, uh, won't be a huge amount in the game, though, as I don't actually like timed choices all that much... but as I don't know a lick of python and wanted some minigame-type events, they'll have to do! :P None of the conversation choices will be timed or anything like that, though.

...I should be revising for my exams, oh god~
The game contains 2893 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 35569 words,
for an average of 12.3 words per screen.
The game contains 56 menus.
Attachments
screenshot0149.png
screenshot0150.png
screenshot0140.png
screenshot0136.png