Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (Complete)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (Complete)

#1 Post by chensterrain »

Edit 2:
Lucky Rabbit Reflex is now complete!

~~~~

Edit:
Would anyone be interested in beta testing? :)

~~~~

...*cough*. This isn't so much a demo as an 'I'm getting really disheartened with this bloody thing, so maybe releasing an alpha will show me where I'm going wrong!' release, but hey. It'd be great if I could get some constructive criticism on this baby so I can actually work on it again...! :D

What is it...?
Lucky Rabbit Reflex! is a pretty typical GxB secondary / high school dating sim. While not a full-on comedy, I'm hoping that most of the dialogue is at least vaguely amusing? :lol: At any rate, there's no overarching plot, though each of the four winnable boys should hopefully have some story archage once the game is complete.

The game's heroine is a 17-year old girl inexplicably switching to a new school in her final year. Will she find friendship - or even love? - amongst the motley crew at Northmain College...?

(...Yeah. I'm not good at descriptions. Sue me!)

How long is the demo?
The demo goes on for around two months' game time - from the beginning of September to the first week of November. There's not a huge amount to do at the moment - five characters are meetable, and one dateable. There are several dates to go on with Marius (first boy on the list :) ), so if anyone would be willing to test him out multiple times, I'd be very grateful! The outcomes of the dates should change based on your stats. Other than that, thw various menus are working and whatnot, but most of the events are just filler text.

The game uses the DSE, and a customised interface (god bless imagemaps! *can't code to save her life* :? ).

Known bugs:
...Not really a bug, but I still have no idea why the textbox is showing up as opaque rather than translucent. It works fine in NVL mode...!

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who gives this a shot! If you have any suggestions, they'd be very helpful - I keep getting the impression that the game doesn't flow as it should, especially the intro, which seems a little slow to me... though that could just be because I've played it to death! *likes her games snappy* (and as for the male characters' inexplicably long arms, well... :wink: )

Hope you enjoy it! :D
Lucky Rabbit Remix.zip
(56.51 MiB) Downloaded 2355 times
Lucky Rabbit Remix-linux-x86.tar.bz2
(53.58 MiB) Downloaded 253 times
Lucky Rabbit Remix-mac.zip
(59.08 MiB) Downloaded 429 times
~~~~~~~

Character Profiles! ...sort of

Attachments
screenshot0011.png
screenshot0012.png
screenshot0067.png
screenshot0084.png
screenshot0087.png
Last edited by chensterrain on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Maruta
Regular

Re: Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (+demo)

#2 Post by Maruta »

I played through once and I really liked it!
I am not playing it again, trying out the different choices and such.

I hope that you do continue with this. The art style is quite unique. The intro is really amazing and interesting! It wasn't boring for even one moment and actually managed to keep my attention for more than a minute. (which is....rare 8Da) The whole demo, I mean. Especially all of the menus. The clicks, the music -- everything was really greatly done

I am probably not being very helpful though.

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

#3 Post by Midnighticequeen »

Pros:
I appreciate the way you made your game and characters more in a comic book style then the usual anime style. It makes your game pretty unique and overall a nice change. The coloring of the characters look very unique and I can tell you took a long time on this game. The customization for this game is original and very inspiring to me because I've never seen anything like it. The image map is cute to by the way.

Cons: I know it was a demo but I wished that the dating scenes where done for Shuppin too, I find him very interesting. I also wish I could spend some time just hanging out with my friends, since I hardly see them after the opening of the game.

Questions:
Do the birthday of my character matter in some way in the game? Will I get a birthday gift from any of the men or my friends if I know them well enough? How long have you been working on this game and is this your first VN?

More Questions: How did you get the image map to work, I'm still a little clueless as to how to use it.

Please keep up the good work, you doing a good job. Keep in mind that if your really getting stressed about this game you should take a week or two of it and give your brain time to relax. Don't overwork yourself or you may end up hating this game.

If you need any testing help or just some support I'll be happy to help! :D

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

Wow!... Graphics design : A+! I was totally blown when I finally right clicked to adjust options. Now that's a great interface ^_^. I also love your art style and the writing is very pleasant (and yes, humorous ^.^). Despite the GxB theme, I could see myself playing this with pleasure and *am* looking forward to a complete version :).

On the side, music choice and sounds are also quite appropriate, which really doesn't hurt ^.^... I can't believe you have such a polished experience already.

I still have to *play* through the DSE part now, but I'm going to do that soon enough :) It seems fun from the little I've seen ^^

One little thing I noticed is that activity icons react only on opaque parts. It would be nice if they reacted as simple squares, so the whole icon reacts (including the box and name).

== EDIT ==

Ok, I've played some more and it's shaping up to be some *very* nice dating sim ^.^, boys or not :).
Interface thingies : I'd change the ring bell sound for a simple "ping". I keep wondering wether there's someone at the door or not ^^;... I'd also try to do something with the day-to-day activity choosing... maybe remove some dissolve interactions so that it goes quicker (going through this for a whole game will be..... urr!) and, if possible, that a single click is needed (click = stat change displayed along with spoken comment along with the buttons ready for the next day). Mm... though I can see how it'd interfere with her day-to-day comments :/
And as said above, a small "+5" above stats would work wonder. As it is, we have to mentally compute the result of an activity, and to do so, we need to remember the previous stats and their new state to know what changed.

Kweshuns now :
Can Marius currently be dated outside the arcade? He seems to always redirect to his working place :).
Same question with the other guy.
What's the effect of going out alone somewhere? It's not shown clearly :/
Some dates seem to rely on your choices but also maybe on your stats? (DDR + fitness?)
I'll also second the fact that hanging out with friends would be nice :) or at least that they appear in random/automatic events.

But I'm pretty sure all this is planned and just yet not implemented ^.^. I'm really looking forward to how this evolves :)

Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

#5 Post by Jo'ogn »

Spiffy! Even though I am no big fan of "click up your stats", it looks professionally nice!

As monele pointed out already, the week end activities, like going out could do with some event, or dialogues. Are test papers coming up, like in "Toki Meki Memorial 2"? Or what's all the smartness good for ( ;

Does the players character change appearance? I was thinking that if I spent much time on getting "shiny", she should become more appearently pretty. While she could turn more tom-boyish when she's all for exercise and geeky if she's high on smartness =D

The pace of the intro is alright. Like I said, when all I can do is "clicking up stats", I wish for some storyish events.
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

chensterrain
Veteran

#6 Post by chensterrain »

Thanks so much for the responses, guys! I'm feeling pretty inspired right about now... :P

To Maruta - you were very helpful, thanks! I'm glad you found the intro interesting - it seems kinda long to me, but hopefully it won't be so bad once the rest of the content is finished... :)
Midnighticequeen wrote:Cons: I know it was a demo but I wished that the dating scenes where done for Shuppin too, I find him very interesting. I also wish I could spend some time just hanging out with my friends, since I hardly see them after the opening of the game.
Heh, I'm glad you find him interesting - the main reason I haven't gotten around to writing any of his scenes is because at first, at least, he's supposed to be a stereotypical, shy, emo-type guy, which I find difficult to write in an interesting way... (he's also the most difficult character for me to draw, hur :lol: ) Rest assured, though, there should be plenty of scenes with him by the time the game is done.

Though you won't be able to call your friends up like you can the boys, there'll be plenty of opportunities to meet up with them in either random events / clubs or just going to the places they usually hang out. Also, the 'hang out' command should lead to scenes with whichever girl you have the highest relationship values with, which will in turn lead to more points with the boy each girl is associated with...

...hopefully. :wink:
Midnighticequeen wrote:Questions:
Do the birthday of my character matter in some way in the game? Will I get a birthday gift from any of the men or my friends if I know them well enough? How long have you been working on this game and is this your first VN?

More Questions: How did you get the image map to work, I'm still a little clueless as to how to use it.
Yup, I'm hoping to implement something like that for the player's birthday, though I'm not quite sure how I'd make it so that the event would still run if the birthday fell on, say, a weekend or holiday when no events are run...

(actually, here would probably be a good place to ask - I'm guessing it'd be pretty simple, but is there any way to combine variables in python? At the moment, the player's birth month and birthdate are two separate variables - how would I go about adding them together? (e.g. "birthdate" + "birthmonth" = "playerbirthday" or summat similar :) )

As for the imagemaps, I'm not really an expert either, tbh - which one did you mean? I used them for pretty much every menu in the game, heh! The main day planner code was something like this:

Code: Select all

$ result = renpy.imagemap("IM-dpgrey.png", "IM-dphover.png", [
        (305, 178, 414, 284, "study"),
        (415, 170, 515, 284, "relax"),
        (516, 178, 614, 284, "hangout"),
        (615, 178, 719, 284, "exercise"),
        (316, 286, 415, 399, "makeup"),
        ], unselected="IM-dpnormal.png", focus="imagemap")
There wasn't really much to it - 'dpgrey' was the image for the buttons I didn't want to be clickable (pretty pointless for the day planner actually, but for the diary page it let me have greyed out options which would become active when the player met certain characters), 'dphover' was for hovered buttons and 'dpnormal' was just for normal buttons. 'result' is the name of the variable the player's choice is stored in, so I had to pick a new name when I had a load of imagemaps in a loop... which I probably shouldn't have had in the first place, but eh. :wink: I'm not sure what problems you were having with them, but if you tell me in more detail, I'd be happy to help...

I've been working on the game since sometime in late September, as far as I remember, and it's my first VN. *blunders through coding* :)
monele wrote: One little thing I noticed is that activity icons react only on opaque parts. It would be nice if they reacted as simple squares, so the whole icon reacts (including the box and name).
Heh, yeah, I didn't realise imagemaps actually did that until I'd made them all... I'll definitely edit that, though, as it's admittedly pretty hard to click on some of the buttons because of the transparency... :wink:
monele wrote: Ok, I've played some more and it's shaping up to be some *very* nice dating sim ^.^, boys or not :).
Interface thingies : I'd change the ring bell sound for a simple "ping". I keep wondering wether there's someone at the door or not ^^;... I'd also try to do something with the day-to-day activity choosing... maybe remove some dissolve interactions so that it goes quicker (going through this for a whole game will be..... urr!) and, if possible, that a single click is needed (click = stat change displayed along with spoken comment along with the buttons ready for the next day). Mm... though I can see how it'd interfere with her day-to-day comments :/
And as said above, a small "+5" above stats would work wonder. As it is, we have to mentally compute the result of an activity, and to do so, we need to remember the previous stats and their new state to know what changed.
I did originally have more of a 'ding' sound, actually - it wasn't a particularly good one, though, and a was having a hard time finding decent sound effects, heh! I'll have a look for something less doorbell-like, though. :wink: Hopefully, once the content and events and whatnot are added, the player shouldn't have to see the stats scene quite so often, but it is pretty tedious at the moment, I'll admit - I really wanted something more Tokimeki Memorial-esque, where the game would just automatically do what you told it to for a week or so, but I don't have any coding skills to speak of and hit a dead end pretty quickly - it's the same with showing stat changes, though I'm assuming something like that wouldn't be too difficult to implement? At the moment, aside from maybe one overlay, there's hardly any coding in the game that doesn't just involve a load of imagemaps one after the other, heh! :oops: I'll definitely give your suggestions a try, though, especially concerning the stats, since most of the time even I forget what raises what by how much...
monele wrote:Kweshuns now :
Can Marius currently be dated outside the arcade? He seems to always redirect to his working place :).
Same question with the other guy.
What's the effect of going out alone somewhere? It's not shown clearly :/
Some dates seem to rely on your choices but also maybe on your stats? (DDR + fitness?)
-I haven't coded his other dates yet, but if your relationship with him is at neutral, he'll only meet you at the arcade. Even in the demo, though, you can get his relationship values to the next level very easily unless you intentionally annoy him, so it shouldn't take the player long to unlock his other dates. :D
-I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with Shuppin yet - I'm thinking that since he's going to be harder to woo than Marius, on the rare instances he does agree to date you at neutral, you could visit places other than his work... but I'm not too sure yet, tbh!
-At the moment, it doesn't really do anything. :oops: I do have vague plans for it, though, namely involving meeting characters you can't actively choose to meet up with normally (i.e. non-dateable characters will usually be at certain places on saturdays etc.).
-Yup! Certain boys are more interested in certain stats, which will affect the outcomes of your dates (though making the right choices is still the most important aspect.) :)
Jo'ogn wrote:Spiffy! Even though I am no big fan of "click up your stats", it looks professionally nice!

As monele pointed out already, the week end activities, like going out could do with some event, or dialogues. Are test papers coming up, like in "Toki Meki Memorial 2"? Or what's all the smartness good for ( ;

Does the players character change appearance? I was thinking that if I spent much time on getting "shiny", she should become more appearently pretty. While she could turn more tom-boyish when she's all for exercise and geeky if she's high on smartness =D

The pace of the intro is alright. Like I said, when all I can do is "clicking up stats", I wish for some storyish events.
The Tokimeki Memorial games (well, the girl-oriented ones, anyway) are the only dating sims I've actually played, so yeah, there's a lot of influence there - including tests, heh! The smartness stat is good for impressing certain boys who are into intelligent girls, though. :P But when the game is complete, there'll definitely be far more in terms of events and less 'clicking-up stats' - each menu choice other than relaxing, which is only good for relieving stress, will have a chance of activating a random event, which depending on your stats / clubs / relationships etc. could be part of an arc, or something like that.

I hadn't really thought about the character's appearance changing - it's something I'd probably only think of implementing once every other part of the game is complete, as to be honest having the character portrait there in the first place was pretty much just an afterthought on my part, but it's a really good suggestion!

Thanks again for all the suggestions! (and sorry for this long-ass reply, jesus... :roll: )

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by monele »

Mm... going out on Saturday could be the way to get the friendship endings, if you plan to have some (as TMGS does). I'd suggest that they up some stats or relieve stress if they're fun places (Arcade most notably). For example, Arcade could relieve stress but lose some smarts. It would also, randomly, allow you to meet with the gamer girl (if any), and, of course, might give a few non-date events with the appropriate guy. You may also meet other guys that are not out of place in a given location, even if it's not their main dating spot.

Also, I like how initial dates are limited this way. Kinda harder for you to create enough different dates, but at least it's a bit more realistic ^^. I actually got a repeated date when I tested it : is it meant to be? If so, while TM games do it too, there might be a check to prevent too many dates in the same place?
In any case, it might also be nice that your first love points are acquired through indirect dating : getting the boy invited to friendly gatherings first, or during school events, or through random meetings at some shopping place (again, Saturday activity could play a big role). This way, you avoid having 15 dates in the same place before finally moving on to varied places :).

Nanie
Regular
Projects: Nanie's Zanie Adventure System [PnP]

#8 Post by Nanie »

I like the premise here :D

Don't worry, take your time and it will all come out.

Oh and I couldn't help but make you this fanart :twisted:
Attachments
Fanart.PNG
Make a Nanie's Zanie Adventure Pen and Paper character for the hell of it! I'll send you your overly complex stat sheets! [PM me, I feel like having people play over the net or cool NPCs so SEND!]

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

Of course, we all know that the Ghostbuster's phone number was +1-212-555-2368.

Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

Typically the kind of case where I wish I spoke up first ^^;

Nanie
Regular
Projects: Nanie's Zanie Adventure System [PnP]

#11 Post by Nanie »

Man am I at the right place :P
Make a Nanie's Zanie Adventure Pen and Paper character for the hell of it! I'll send you your overly complex stat sheets! [PM me, I feel like having people play over the net or cool NPCs so SEND!]

chensterrain
Veteran

#12 Post by chensterrain »

Never saw that one coming! :wink: (I kid, I kid! :P )

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by gekiganwing »

Lucky Rabbit started out super-awesome. The scene in which the heroine reads a shoujo romance manga and thinks about real life -- great.

Chensterrain, your interface and charas are amazing.

Did I mention already that I like simulations, and that I like shoujo...? Yeah, I do. (I'm something of a moetard as well, and IMHO, the heroine and her friend are relatively moe.)

Things which could be refined, or things to consider:

1. This story is set in the UK, right? When I saw the word "chav" (Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav ), I figured it was...

2. It seems that Lucky Rabbit will span the length of an entire school year. If you're feeling a bit overwhelmed, chensterrain, then you might consider a length of time which is a bit shorter. Less events and variables, is, IMHO, not a big deal.

3. Furthermore, don't worry too much about clubs. That can be added later.

4. And unless you have a roster of male characters already planned, don't be too concerned about how many charas are available to the heroine. Two will be sufficient for a while.

5. Are you recruiting people to help you? If you aren't doing so already, think about it. It's not a bad idea, especially if you feel overwhelmed.

6. One more thought: I built the heroine's stats up, trying to keep them just about even, while at the same time attempting to reduce Stress. I was expecting some sort of event in which a male character would say "I'm starting to notice you're improving..." (Something like this occasionally happened in True Love 95.) But I didn't get anything like that. No one greeted the heroine on weekdays, and when she went out alone on weekends, she didn't meet anyone. So if you think that's a good idea, and it's not too much to ask, then think about adding some events like that.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

chokkidre
Regular

#14 Post by chokkidre »

I like what you made so far and I look forward to the finished product. Kudos on the art and style of the game! x3

Hazuki

#15 Post by Hazuki »

I'm not a member here but I found this through another forum that I am a member of... since it was advertised I thought I should come and check it out.

I find it very fun so far. I can tell that their is some influence from Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side (btw, did you know that Konami is re-releasing the first game on Nintendo DS with full voice and commentary in the gallery? It's called Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side First Love Plus.)

I like the "dates" at the arcade with Marius, I find the conversations between them very charming.

I was wondering if the girls you're friends with are also your rivals in love like TokiMemoGS? And do you get rivals moments like Girl's Side? ^^;
Do the guys also respond to you in a certain way if you raise a certain stat more? Or can you just get them to love you by constantly stalking going out with them?

I like the fact that you put the setting in something that you're familiar with...you can never go wrong with that! ^_^

I was wondering...if you plan to add any CGs with the events and add a CG gallery? It's okay if you don't - it'd be nice to have something to remember a certain event by though...

Is Shuppin German? I laughed when I found out that he likes sleeping, and his nickname reminded me of the legend in the first TokiMemoGS game.

Do you mind me asking where you got the music from? Especially the music at the arcade?