Phoenix Season [GxG/B HISTORICAL FANTASY]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Ioja
Projects: Phoenix Season
Tumblr: galaxy-jar-studios

Phoenix Season [GxG/B HISTORICAL FANTASY]

#1 Post by Ioja »

SYNOPSIS

After the coup d'etat that ended over a hundred lives, a female ruler steps up for the first time in three hundred years. You are her heir.

Navigate the new political world you’re thrust into, control a brewing rebellion, make connections with foreign countries, and maybe...maybe you’ll keep your head, but lose your heart.

Phoenix Season is a visual novel in which you, the protagonist, must make decisions that can cause the fall of an empire. As you create your personality, discover a rich world, and romance and befriend people with their own agendas, you must also come to terms with the memories that create your nightmares and deal with a grief so strong it could end you.
CAST
The Imperial Family

The protagonist. Default name: Filiz. You're the cousin of the Soloya.

Soloya Tasmina--the ruling monarch and one of the children of the previous ruler's. Beautiful, confident, with a pragmatic mind focused on what needs to be done.

Adviser Naime--your little sister. Adviser to the Soloya. Quiet, wise beyond her years, and constantly worried about you.

Love Interests

Khar Tai Lan--an ambassador from Rezhong, a country that closed its borders for decades. Kind, ambitious.

Reyhan Inedi--an aloof physician, the first female to manage the Palace's medical field outside the harem.

Vitri Genas--the Imperial Commander, the highest position in the army. He's a flirty idealist.
Features
  • A world based on the Ottoman Empire
    3 Romantic Interests
    Important political decisions
    Heavy themes, such as PTSD

I'm a huge fan of YA novels, but after reading so many about fantasy and royalty I've started to notice the general lack of 1) worldbuilding 2) common sense. A lot of authors seemed to have shoved a prince in their novels without any regard to the duties and responsibilities a future monarch would have, especially if they were the government and not a figurehead. So, originally this was supposed to be a book but I decided on making it a (future) vn instead.

It's been in the making for actual years, haha, though that was mostly the hesitant idea stage and research. It's still a historical fantasy, though, so from the Ottoman Empire I mostly borrowed things like a sole emperor, concubines, etc.

Hazel
Regular
Projects: Wreath of Roses, BookSLEEPer, Girlfriend Material
Tumblr: zincalloygames
itch: zincalloy

Re: Phoenix Season [GxG/B HISTORICAL FANTASY]

#2 Post by Hazel »

I quite like the idea of a fantasy world based on the Ottoman empire. I think it's probably an under-utilized inspiration for a setting, certainly in English-language media, and it has a ton of potential. So I like that a lot. I think, though, that you're using a different definition of "historical fantasy" than I'm used to.
Image Image

BookSLEEPer (writer) * Girlfriend Material (writer/programmer)

Rhea07
Projects: Shadowed Hearts
Organization: BlueBird Studio
Deviantart: Eternal--art

#3 Post by Rhea07 »

This honestly sounds interesting! I totally agree on your point of YA novels, and I can't wait to see how you'd do it better. ^^

Ioja

#4 Post by Ioja »

Hazel wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:55 pm I quite like the idea of a fantasy world based on the Ottoman empire. I think it's probably an under-utilized inspiration for a setting, certainly in English-language media, and it has a ton of potential. So I like that a lot. I think, though, that you're using a different definition of "historical fantasy" than I'm used to.
Oh for sure, I know exactly what you mean and I was debating about calling it a fantasy bc it was absent of the usual elements like magic. Ultimately, wiki says historical fantasy can be "set in a fictional world resembling a part of history but not actually that history" and it suited PS pretty well.
Rhea07 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 am This honestly sounds interesting! I totally agree on your point of YA novels, and I can't wait to see how you'd do it better. ^^
Thanks so much!! <3 I'd love to know what your most hated tropes are, too, if you ever see this reply lmao.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

Seconding Rhea with those YA novels. I love 'em to death but there are some pretty common things that are just irksome.

I actually know very little about the Ottoman Empire. I think now more than ever I should start reading up on it.

This seems like a super cool idea, political decision making in VNs is always cool. c: There's so many crazy things you can do with consequences and tradeoffs to make things interesting.

Is Khar Tai Lan a boy or a girl?

Hazel
Regular
Projects: Wreath of Roses, BookSLEEPer, Girlfriend Material
Tumblr: zincalloygames
itch: zincalloy

#6 Post by Hazel »

Zelan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:37 pm
I actually know very little about the Ottoman Empire. I think now more than ever I should start reading up on it.
Haa. This is actually one of my mother's areas of expertise, so I have a little bit of background in the subject.
Image Image

BookSLEEPer (writer) * Girlfriend Material (writer/programmer)

Ioja

#7 Post by Ioja »

Zelan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:37 pm Is Khar Tai Lan a boy or a girl?
At the moment, a boy! And totally agree, political entertainment can be so interesting when it's not actually your political climate lmao.

polaroidcaesar
Projects: To Our Noble End

#8 Post by polaroidcaesar »

This sounds pretty interesting and unique. Hoping to see more from this soon ^_^

Ioja

#9 Post by Ioja »

Aaallll right, topic moved viewtopic.php?f=43&t=46000 as the next step (art assets) has been confirmed! Thank you to all who replied!!