Lethargy of Snow [GxG][Slice of Life][18+]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

Lethargy of Snow [GxG][Slice of Life][18+]

#1 Post by Sonomi »

+ Story

Lethargy of Snow follows the lives of two women who just moved into an apartment together for financial reasons. Between her job in a music store and her sporadic participation in a local band, Lyra is a despondent workaholic in therapy and she tries to limit how much time she spends with her cheerful yet somewhat reckless new roommate Kris, but how long can she deny her feelings when they're slowly falling for each other?

I finally finished the concept art for Lyra (right) and Kristen (left).

+ Details

Title: Lethargy of Snow
Genre: Slice of Life
Length: ~200,000 words
Resolution: 1920x1080

+ Progress So Far

Writing
[●○○○○] ~7k words
Artwork
[●○○○○] Concept Art
Music
[●●●●●] Done
Programming
[●○○○○] Making Subtitles

+ Feedback

Please answer any question you like! This entire section is more like a stream of consciousness for me and I'd love to read your opinions. :3

:arrow: What would you would like to see in a story about two women?
:arrow: Is there a slice of life scene you don't often see in visual novels that you want to see?
:arrow: Do you have any date ideas?
:arrow: I want this game to resemble anime with subtitles on the bottom. Are you okay with that?
:arrow: There's going to be a lot of cuddling, snuggling, and other cutesy interactions. What should I add to the list?
:arrow: Do you like the logo?
:arrow: How much band music do you want to hear, and should I make a music player?
:arrow: If you want to, please share any other thoughts or suggestions.
Last edited by Sonomi on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Lethargy of Snow [GxG][Slice of Life][18+]

#2 Post by Zelan »

SONOMI IT'S YOUR PROJECT AND IT'S GxG AND IT'S 200K WORDS I AM SO HERE FOR THIS :D

:arrow: What would you would like to see in a story about two women?: I don't know if there's anything in particular that I want for a story about two women. You tell your story and I think it'll turn out fine. c:
:arrow: Is there a slice of life scene you don't often see in visual novels that you want to see?: Real talk, I've always been a fan of "sick episode" type moments. It generally brings out a different side of both the sick person and the person caring for them, which can completely change the relationship dynamics depending on the characters' personalities, the exact scenario, etc.
:arrow: Do you have any date ideas?: I don't have many ideas in particular, but I would say that you should try to balance more "traditional" dates with some more "exciting" ideas. For example, you might have your typical restaurant date, and on the other hand you might have the characters go take a fencing lesson together.
:arrow: I want this game to resemble anime with subtitles on the bottom. Are you okay with that?: It should be okay as long as the "subtitles" are clear and easy to read. For that, you'll probably want to make them a light color with a black border, and fairly large. (Don't take my word for it, though, I am not a graphic designer.)
:arrow: There's going to be a lot of cuddling, snuggling, and other cutesy interactions. What should I add to the list?: yES. Um. Shoulder/collarbone nuzzling is super nice. Also, I like the image of one partner sitting down "normally" on a couch, and the other laying down in it so that her legs are stretched over the first partner's lap.
:arrow: Do you like the logo?: It's simple (aka not too hard to look at), and it immediately lets me know that it's a GxG game, both of which are good. However, it doesn't tell me much else about the game. I don't have any specific suggestions to improve it, though.
:arrow: How much band music do you want to hear, and should I make a music player?: It's not absolutely necessary to include band music - sometimes one or two key songs can get your point across - but if you think it would add to the story, I say go ahead and put in lots of songs. As long as they're good, you won't hear me complaining. As for the music player: lots of people like little extras, so as long as it doesn't take ridiculously long to add in and doesn't detract from the game in any way, it's probably a good idea, especially considering that music is a theme for your game. One project which did use a music player, RockRobin, centers around the protagonist and her band, so it made perfect sense.
:arrow: If you want to, please share any other thoughts or suggestions.: I'm literally so excited for this. Like, the whole time I was gone I was thinking about all of you guys and one of the things was "I wonder if Sonomi's project is up yet, I hope I haven't missed it because I was super hype for it." It's awesome to finally see it unveiled!!

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#3 Post by Sonomi »

Zelan wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:18 pm SONOMI IT'S YOUR PROJECT AND IT'S GxG AND IT'S 200K WORDS I AM SO HERE FOR THIS :D

:arrow: What would you would like to see in a story about two women?: I don't know if there's anything in particular that I want for a story about two women. You tell your story and I think it'll turn out fine. c:
:arrow: Is there a slice of life scene you don't often see in visual novels that you want to see?: Real talk, I've always been a fan of "sick episode" type moments. It generally brings out a different side of both the sick person and the person caring for them, which can completely change the relationship dynamics depending on the characters' personalities, the exact scenario, etc.
:arrow: Do you have any date ideas?: I don't have many ideas in particular, but I would say that you should try to balance more "traditional" dates with some more "exciting" ideas. For example, you might have your typical restaurant date, and on the other hand you might have the characters go take a fencing lesson together.
:arrow: I want this game to resemble anime with subtitles on the bottom. Are you okay with that?: It should be okay as long as the "subtitles" are clear and easy to read. For that, you'll probably want to make them a light color with a black border, and fairly large. (Don't take my word for it, though, I am not a graphic designer.)
:arrow: There's going to be a lot of cuddling, snuggling, and other cutesy interactions. What should I add to the list?: yES. Um. Shoulder/collarbone nuzzling is super nice. Also, I like the image of one partner sitting down "normally" on a couch, and the other laying down in it so that her legs are stretched over the first partner's lap.
:arrow: Do you like the logo?: It's simple (aka not too hard to look at), and it immediately lets me know that it's a GxG game, both of which are good. However, it doesn't tell me much else about the game. I don't have any specific suggestions to improve it, though.
:arrow: How much band music do you want to hear, and should I make a music player?: It's not absolutely necessary to include band music - sometimes one or two key songs can get your point across - but if you think it would add to the story, I say go ahead and put in lots of songs. As long as they're good, you won't hear me complaining. As for the music player: lots of people like little extras, so as long as it doesn't take ridiculously long to add in and doesn't detract from the game in any way, it's probably a good idea, especially considering that music is a theme for your game. One project which did use a music player, RockRobin, centers around the protagonist and her band, so it made perfect sense.
:arrow: If you want to, please share any other thoughts or suggestions.: I'm literally so excited for this. Like, the whole time I was gone I was thinking about all of you guys and one of the things was "I wonder if Sonomi's project is up yet, I hope I haven't missed it because I was super hype for it." It's awesome to finally see it unveiled!!
Hi Zelan! My goodness, I feel 10 times more excited about this after seeing how enthusiastic you are. Thank you so much! It really means the world to me and I'll do my best to actually finish this game. XD

I like the episodes where one person has to take care of their partner too. If you're familiar with K-On, Mio and Ritsu had an episode like that and it was nice to see how strong their friendship was for sure.

Great ideas for the dates. I hadn't considered anything too exciting yet (lol) but I'm definitely going to try for that if it'll make the story more interesting.

I should probably screenshot the faux subtitles I have now and post that for feedback. The border and shadow look fairly okay for now and I think it's large enough! I might have to make it bigger...I'm actually using literal anime screenshots as a reference for my own look. :3 Because I'm a huge fan of it.

Aww. Nuzzling is very cute (marking that down). Overall, I want the game to not be too serious and something full of relaxing slice of life scenes. I play a lot of action-oriented games and sometimes I want the characters to slow down for a second and just have dinner, you know? XD

All of the band songs for this game have lyrics that are important to the story. Lyra uses music as an outlet for her depression and writes about some of the things she's been through in the form of songs. Not really a spoiler...lol. Anyway, I honestly and legitimately cannot guarantee quality in all 26 songs but I'm seriously hoping I can include at least 3-4 good ones at key points. RockRobin is a huge inspiration for me by the way! Lol I still haven't finished the game yet, but the music player in that VN is nice.

Again, I'm really happy that you're looking forward to this. I hope it'll turn out to be something you'll enjoy! I actually think about you guys too when I'm not on LSF. I was like "Hmm, where is Zelan?" for a while but then again I'm not really on as much as I was before either. Haha My new job is making me tired all the time, but I'm going to try and release a demo by the end of October for...reasons.

-

Oh, I updated the original post with concept art. :D

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

I feel you on the slowing down and having dinner. I hardly get time to do that, so I need to vicariously live through characters doing it, haha.

Oh, you're planning on having songs with lyrics? That's cool! I hope you can find a good vocalist for them. And, speaking of the band, how prominently will Lyra's bandmates feature in the story?

It's so sweet to hear you were thinking of me. <3 When I got back on a couple days ago there was a PM in my inbox asking after me and it was just like... my heart cannot take this and you people are too lovely. ^_^

The concept art's nice. Not too much to say about it yet, but I do really like Lyra's bangs, they're cute.