From Fournevale [NBxG/NB/B, Fantasy]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
quinnsea
Regular
Completed: Birch Sapling
Projects: Aspen, Baleen
Organization: Koimarina Games
IRC Nick: quinnsea
Tumblr: bonnievoyage
Soundcloud: nishiikigoi
itch: koimarina

From Fournevale [NBxG/NB/B, Fantasy]

#1 Post by quinnsea »

I'm more so just playing with this idea? I feel like I need to get more comfortable with Ren'Py so I'm tempted to make a pretty short, free VN while working on my much bigger project. I don't know if I'll call it From Fournevale, but it's a decent placeholder title for now I guess? Anyways!

Summary

The last quest you did with your party was pretty tough, but you know this person's good for it... Or so you thought. The florist of Fournevale offered you a healthy payment for retrieving a rare flower species. However, they never actually expected you to get the flower in question. In a panic, she offers you information about the location of "A treasure so amazing even the gods aim to retrieve it!" After some debate, you decide to accept the information. Now, you must ensure the party isn't going to be at each other's throats while you go on the hunt for this amazing treasure.

While this does sound pretty basic, what I feel will make it unique is that this will be a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. Occasionally, there will be pauses in game for the players to start speaking out of character. Some people might even leave the room, others going out for a pizza. From Fournevale would have about as much OOC talk as there is IC conversation. Either in annoyance of what other players do, to make jokes, or otherwise.

Characters

Aisling Summerwolf
Player: Dakota
Race: Human
Alignment: Neutral Good
Class: Ranger - Monster Slayer (Celestial) archetype
Pronouns: They / Them in and out of character

The protagonist of the story. Dakota wanted them to be a rogue, but they got to the first session too late and the role was already taken by The Crimson Vanguard. They're not bitter, you're bitter. Aisling still tries to be helpful, generally being the first person to look for quests in a new town. They also take the leadership role, ensuring the group doesn’t tear each other apart.

Aphrodite
Player: Adrian
Race: Scourge Aasimar
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Class: Paladin - Oath of Conquest
Pronouns: She / Her in character, He / Them out of character

Aphrodite has an incredibly strong amount of loyalty and sense of faith. Granted, this passion has gotten her into more trouble than most normal people would consider it’s worth but Aphrodite is no ordinary person. She takes pride in the destruction she causes in the name of her deity. Adrian's the youngest out of the group, clearly lost since this is his first time playing. At least it seems like he's having plenty of fun.

The Crimson Vanguard
Player: Stacy
Race: Vampire
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Class: Rogue - Swashbuckler archetype / Bard - College of Swords
Pronouns: He / Him in character, She / Her out of character

No one knows The Crimson Vanguard’s true name, at least if they did they’ve most likely been dead for quite some time. The Crimson Vanguard was once the member of a group of established aristocrats, attempting to climb the social ladder until he tarnished the reputation of the wrong people. Now, he just tries to earn his place in peoples’ hearts the old fashioned way. Some people say Stacy is trying too hard with this extra as fuck character. They're right.

Parakeet
Player: Kaleb
Race: Kenku
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Class: Sorcerer - Wild Magic origins
Pronouns: They / Them in character, He / Him out of character

Parakeet makes even less sound than the typical kenku. He’s been sheltered for so long, he hasn’t gotten the chance to grab more voices to mimic. Parakeet considered it more important to focus on researching his lineage, and if there’s any way to lift the curse all kenkus seem to have. A lot of people get worried some times about how attached Kaleb is to Parakeet. No one knows what he'd do if he died.

Morquinal Soundinghorn
Player: Matt
Race: High Elf
Alignment: True Neutral
Class: Cleric - Death Domain / Warlock - The Celestial Otherworldly Patron
Pronouns: They / Them in character, He / Him out of character

Being sheltered for such a long time didn’t make things particularly easy for Morquinal, but they did always feel at home in a book. Learning so many things about deities made the prospect of sharing this word very exciting. Now, they just quietly serve their god happy to do what they can for better or worse. Matt ends up having to talk to the DM a lot. It's also a little strange how he always ends up at the meeting place before anyone else... What's he up to?

Questions?

Does this actually seem interesting, or am I just talking out of my ass?

Which character seems the coolest to you?

Would it be better to provide more information about the players? How about the DM?

Should I provide character sheets?

Thanks!

I know this is a huge mess, since it really, truly is just a concept I'm playing around with. I have designs, and I'm starting on an outline but I don't really know if I want to pursue it all that seriously? Any other ideas and input would be helpful, too. Plus any volunteers willing to work for free, I like to know what all my options are.

Anyways! Thank you so much for reading, and I do adore any and all input I can get!
Last edited by quinnsea on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

quinn / 26 / qa analyst, game design hobbyist
icon by church

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: From Fournevale [NBxG/NB/B, Fantasy]

#2 Post by Zelan »

Does this actually seem interesting, or am I just talking out of my ass?: It seems cool! I would have played this VN even with just the in-game story of the party searching for this rare treasure without killing each other, but the added depth of the OOC conversations is so unique. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before.

Which character seems the coolest to you?: Adrian/Aphrodite! I've never played DnD before (though I want to) so I can sympathize with Adrian being super lost. And Chaotic Good is always a fun alignment.

Would it be better to provide more information about the players? How about the DM?: I'd like to know a bit more about the players if possible, since they'll take up a portion of the story as well. As for the DM, I guess it depends whether they'll be important in the first place.

Should I provide character sheets?: That would be amazing, but you don't have to if you don't think it's necessary. (Although I get the feeling that it would probably help you with the character development at the very least.)

(Quick note - you referred to Aisling as 'she' in their bio, but then as 'they'. c:)

I don't think that I really expressed my enthusiasm well in those answers but this sounds like such a fun idea! <3

PMscenarios
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo
Projects: In Blood, Xenopathy
Tumblr: pmscenarios
itch: pmscenarios

Re: From Fournevale [NBxG/NB/B, Fantasy]

#3 Post by PMscenarios »

Does this actually seem interesting, or am I just talking out of my ass?
I really like the idea of following a role-playing game and getting to know the players (and hearing their comments ooc?) throughout the story. Really like this pitch!

Which character seems the coolest to you?
I quite like the protag, and I'm intrigued by them being the leader of the group instead of a more passive character.

Would it be better to provide more information about the players? How about the DM?
No, I don't think so, I wanna learn about them as the game goes along, piecing together who they are and what their lives are in the real world, plus their connection to the DM. Me likes mystery.

Should I provide character sheets?
I wouldn't from the start or outside the game, but it would be interesting if their character sheets unlocked as the game progressed, and was updated with their changes - loot, level ups, etc.
It'd be a lot harder to do though.
ImageImageImage