Persona 4 Female Protagonist Visual Novel

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Solothread

Persona 4 Female Protagonist Visual Novel

#1 Post by Solothread »

Persona 4 Who?

In case you don't know what Persona 4 is, (I HIGHLY recommend you give it a go) here is a short description taken straight from the wiki.

Persona 4 takes place in a fictional Japanese countryside and is indirectly related to earlier Persona games. The player-named protagonist is a high-school student who moved into the countryside from the city for a year. During his year-long stay, he becomes involved in investigating mysterious murders while harnessing the power of summoning Persona.

So what are you trying to do?

Persona 4 was made for the PS2 and the PS Vita, so many people out there won't get to experience it. I loved the game so much that I want other people to be able to experience the game. I want to port the game to Windows, Mac, and Android in the form of a visual novel. However, this isn't a direct port. The game will be rebuilt from the ground up in a visual novel engine, so it can run on as many machines as possible. But there will be one major difference between this one, and the old one...

Female Protagonist

This visual novel will feature a female protagonist instead of a male lead. I wanted to do this after my girlfriend had a great time with Persona 3 Portable, playing the female protagonist. She was a bit disappointing to find out that Persona 4 only has a male role. I don't think the best experience can be achievable without immersing yourself as the main character. So I took it upon myself to make a FeMC version. It's going to be very difficult, but I must spread the greatness of this game.

So what has been accomplished?

I haven't worked on it much, but I got a couple of snapshots. All in-engine.

I also have a video of the Velvet Room intro all completed. I'll upload that soon if interest is shown.

What game will this be based on?

The project is going to be a weird mix of Persona 4, Persona 4 Golden, and the story will be mostly based on the Persona 4 Animation. I'm doing this because remaking the whole game will take years. Making a more linear story will greatly reduce that time. I still plan on adding a small combat system. And don't worry, it won't be completely linear. Your choices will all matter, and can change the story of the game.

Sounds great! Can I help?

Yes! Yes you can! I am looking for other people who also want to work on this project. No, this isn't a paid gig. But if you like it, I would love to have other people on the team to make this dream come true! Many people have wanted this before, and now is the time. So who am I looking for?
  • Background Artists:A lot of backgrounds will be from Persona 4 Arena and Arena Ultimax, but that doesn't cover everything. I need people to draw backgrounds of missing scenarios.
  • Character Artists:This new FeMC needs a face. And we need someone to do it. There's been a lot of fan art for a FeMC, and now it's the time to actually get one in a game! And we also might need new characters in general for her to interact with.
  • Writers:Writers will be the backbone of this! We need to come up with ways to keep the story flowing. Also to add additional characters and new Social Links into the game. Just like how Persona 3 had FeMC exclusive characters.

So that about wraps it up for now. Let me know if you're interested in this at all or if this is just a waste of time. Your opinions are appreciated. I'll try to answer any questions as soon as I can. Let me know what you think!

ArcialIntegra
Regular

Re: Persona 4 Female Protagonist Visual Novel

#2 Post by ArcialIntegra »

I like the idea, but I'd warn heavily AGAINST recreating Persona 4 unless you get the appropriate licence from Atlus to do so. (How I understand it, they are obligated by Trademark Law to C&D you the moment they catch wind of it, and, as a result, order you to pull your version from distribution, just as Nintendo had done with various Pokemon fan games and how Hasbro did with Fighting is Magic.) Instead, might I suggest using Persona 4 as a basis and make your own unique work built from that premise? I was already planning on doing something similar after playing Persona 5. Little did I know that the idea I was working on is, in essence, Persona 4 (based on what your original post says). If you would be interested in that, I'd consider helping out with the story. Sure, it's more work than what you're currently planning on, but this way your Rome won't be made to fall overnight. Additionally, you can always look to SMT and Persona games for inspiration, just as long as you don't outright copy them. I think a VN like this would be really fun and entertaining, but be sure to consider all the outcomes.