Metadream ComPlex - finally finished and polished

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Metadream ComPlex - finally finished and polished

#31 Post by papillon »

Also, be cautious of 'advice' from someone who a) Hasn't played the demo and b) Has never sold a game. :)

It's perfectly possible to make money on your first game for sale, provided your game for sale is good and you either manage to market well or luck out and fall into the hands of someone else who can market.

Building up a community with free games and then trying to sell one sometimes works, but it also can produce a bunch of disgruntled fans complaining that your OTHER games were free, why is THIS one costing money? Not to mention that unless you know how to market or are lucky, simply releasing a free game won't build up a community anyway.

It is sadly unlikely that you'll make much money selling through DLsite as most games on the English side sell only a few copies. Still, it's a possible avenue that's not difficult to set up and will get you at least a little attention and a taste of the business. Direct sales will net you better money if you take the time to push them.

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

Re: Metadream ComPlex - finally finished and polished

#32 Post by mysterialize »

That's all fine. I was just throwing in my two cents with the matter. Since it looks like you're going with the commercial route, then I wish you luck an hope you're successful. It's not like I don't think you'll be any good at marketing it.
Also, be cautious of 'advice' from someone who a) Hasn't played the demo and b) Has never sold a game.
I can't help but wonder what you're suggesting here though. I was just tossing in an opinion.