Trilogy of Acceptance?

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Xypher

Trilogy of Acceptance?

#1 Post by Xypher »

Right now, I am trying to outline this concept in Twine, before translatine to RenPy...

But this concept of three primary characters (lets call them Red, Green, Blue) introduce themselves to the player.. and the player chooses one story to follow, and in each the other two come along as sidekicks/ support characters.

Red's story, set in a futuristic sci-fi setting, and struggles with Accepting their past (something they regret.. a criminal situation, or survival guilt, something)

Green's story, set in a present-ish day, struggles to accept their present situation.. (can't believe they are here despite themselves..in both good and bad ways)(life never turns out how you expect/plan it)

Blue's story, set in some fantastic past (Middle-earth, or Arthurian, some-such),and as you can guess, is about accepting your future...some decision about their future has already been made for them (a spouse, or occupation, something)

I'm not asking for any material here.. heck, I don't know what i am asking.. a sounding board for idea bounce-back?

<insert deep breath and epic pause here>

Okay, aside from story being only in barebones concept,if i were to consider a budget, it sounds like artwork cost could be near outrageous..

However, i do want to flesh the stories before i even consider art/sound, etc...

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Trilogy of Acceptance?

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Xypher wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:50 pm Okay, aside from story being only in barebones concept, if I were to consider a budget, it sounds like artwork cost could be near outrageous... However, I do want to flesh the stories before I even consider art/sound, etc...
You may benefit by considering some of the following ideas:

1. Write one story first, and finish it. Hold off considering a trilogy until you've wrapped up work on a single story.
2. Give yourself deadlines. For instance, start writing on January 15, and commit to completing part of your story by February 15. Then ask for feedback.
3. Think about what specific things you want to write. For example, let's say that Red committed a colony drop a few years ago. He was considered a hero by a few people in his radical group, but everyone else (family, friends, people from his home nation) has condemned him as a terrorist. If that's his background, then where should his story begin?
4. What is the central conflict? Maybe it's "person versus themselves." There are many examples of published fiction in which a character has to confront themselves, their past, etc. One alternative would be "person versus god" -- the character has to confront fate or supernatural beings. Another alternative would be "person versus person" -- the protagonist wants to achieve something badly, but another person stands in their way.

Xypher

Re: Trilogy of Acceptance?

#3 Post by Xypher »

Wise words, Geki. (nods and bows humbly)

Yeah, I thought about giving myself a full year for all three stories... so about a month to write the story, and 3 more months to code it.. (or longer if i allow myself overlap/multitasking, and we know how well that works.

Great example for Red's story.. and depending when/where it starts will give it a different feel... I read you.

Conflict? Okay...

Red in confronting their past.. would be to face self. yes.. But usually this is represented (as i have seen so far) as a separate character with the Main's old mindset, or such..

Green facing their fate.. their future.. Could be done a few ways.. In the fantasy setting, i think something mystic, a God (or Fate sisters!!) would be appropriate. (nods and bows again) Thank you.

Blue facing their present despite their every effort.. would have to be P vs environment, if such a thing. What external force is directing Blue's environment? Is it even an external force? could it be something internal that Blue isn't even aware of? How is/has Blue been wanting to go, but ending up going somewhere else?

As you can tell, Gek, you've given me another kickstart that i needed. Much appreciated.

Be blessed.

Xypher