Seraphine: Into the Wind

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Celestine
Veteran

Re: Seraphine: Into the Wind (RPG) - w/Demo

#166 Post by Celestine »

:D Hey it's great more people played your demo!!

They loved it :wink:
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#167 Post by Aleema »

Oh, wow. Thank you for these replies. Now they're making me wish I was burden-free to totally finish Seraphine now. Well, I am currently writing a fantasy RPG for Winter Wolves called Loren Amazon Princess, but it's not my brainchild. But it's at least one fantasy epic that will definitely see the light of day, if that's any consolation.

@Musashi:
I just have a few suggestions about the glossary:
Could you make the glossary accessible at any time, and not just whenever a link appears in the text? (Also, could you tell me how to code links like that?)
The glossary is generally great, except that sometimes there are bits that look a bit choppy. As if there was some heavy editing, and fragments were cut and pasted, leaving incomplete sentences and ideas behind. It needs a bit more smoothing over.
Thanks for the tips. There is a button for the glossary in the menu, but I purposely hid it because the thing was so buggy. ;_; It's on or near Ere's sprite, near the bottom and is a book icon. When the code is polished and bug-free, I will make a big shiny button. As for the writing inside the entries, yes ... I totally believe you when you say they're choppy. A lot of it was a copy/paste job, so thank you for telling me that it was sloppy and not a good idea. :) The links in the text, while cool, I'm probably going to remove because they were buggy. But you can do this yourself with {a} links. I just linked to a label name instead of a website.

But thank you for your nice post! I'm glad you found it, too! :D

@DragoonHP: Thank you!! :shock: Wow. Thanks. I do believe my "no one really likes this game" mentality might be shifting, thanks you and all you guys' support like this. I'm not sure why, but the aftertaste of the demo did feel lukewarm, but I did release it after one of my other demos, which got a much larger warm response. So my perspective is probably warped because of that, and also, I'm still embarrassed that the art is not up-to-snuff as some other games. Ahh, what am I typing? I just wanted to say thank you! :D So, thank you from the bottom of wittle heart.
DragoonHP wrote: So... correct me if I'm wrong, but will there be a story for every elemnt... (maybe like Seraphine represents wind and etc)...
Yes, exactly! I actually decided to write Edernim's story first because it was the country I knew the least about. And now I know it quite well. :) The next story is water (Ishara: Bane of the Seas) and is in the country Caeria. So you're totally right.

@Celestine: Thank you for being a cheerleader, hehe! :mrgreen:

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#168 Post by DragoonHP »

Aleema wrote:But it's at least one fantasy epic that will definitely see the light of day, if that's any consolation.
Would it be rude of me to say that it isn't a consolation?
Aleema wrote:I'm not sure why, but the aftertaste of the demo did feel lukewarm, but I did release it after one of my other demos, which got a much larger warm response.
Well... your other demo might have been of the genre which is on it's streak now... and the second thing is, the link in your signature points to the game website and not the Lemmasoft thread and I understand if some lazy person like me didn't even bother to find the WIP thread to comment on the game...
Aleema wrote:So my perspective is probably warped because of that, and also, I'm still embarrassed that the art is not up-to-snuff as some other games.
Well.. I agree that the art is not as top notch as compared o your other games, but even though it still adds a charm(?) of it's own...
How... you might ask... because through this VN, you are telling the readers a tale, a tale about a country or a world which existed a long long time ago, and using flashy artwork would have just, according to me, degraded (for the lack of better word) the gameplay... because now the way the graphics are drawn, especially the character sprites, it feels like I have picked up some ancient manuscript, a very detailed manuscript and am reading from it... (and I meant it as a compliment, just to clarify things if it came out as an accusation)
So. if you can, please keep the current style of art...
Aleema wrote:Yes, exactly! I actually decided to write Edernim's story first because it was the country I knew the least about. And now I know it quite well. :) The next story is water (Ishara: Bane of the Seas) and is in the country Caeria. So you're totally right.
Awesome... :D can't wait...

And just a small request, can you please code a full-fledged inventory for Seraphine...?

PS: What happened to (I found him) By the Lake? I read the details on the website and it sounded good... but there was no download link...?
Celestine wrote: :D Hey it's great more people played your demo!!
[/quote]
I played it a long time ago... but never erm... got the time to convey my heartfelt thanks...
But yes, one thing is certain, anyone who will play this game is bound to love it... :-)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#169 Post by Aleema »

By The Lake is currently on hiatus for funding and I'm-more-interested-in-that issues. =P But it's not for the same reason other things aren't released (writing), so there's that.

I've changed the link in my sig, since you made a good point. Though I think the sites are how I want the game represented, they don't have a huge "click here to give feedback" button. :)

I'm going to try to see if I can recolor the sprites, that seems to be the worst part about them, and that's entirely my fault. ;_; But ... you did make a really good about about super-shiny polished sprites being more harm than good here. I believe I said something way back about why the chars, specifically the men, didn't look more attractive/bishie, and I personally think that's totally not right here (and *I* think they're cute how they are anyway). It gets a bit superficial at some point. So yeah, I definitely get what you're saying. It's kinda how I would rather watch a movie with unknown actors than all celebrities, heh.

And your inventory request ... haha, yes! Okay! I fold. Now that I am way more comfortable with coding, I think I'll go back and redo a lot of the code with my new knowledge. It's so easy for me to do an inventory now, but back when I made this game, I was just learning how to do it and hated it. =P But you're right, it needs one now. No more excuses.

I'm also leaning away from giving characters Experience points, and I think I'm just going to give the skills themselves experience points. I find I enjoy games where I can level up abilities the more I use them, so I'm going to try my hand at it. This is a simple RPG, I keep telling myself. So I'm trying not to get it too muddled with numbers, if not just for my own sanity's sake. =P

Thank you again!

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#170 Post by DragoonHP »

Aleema wrote:By The Lake is currently on hiatus for funding and I'm-more-interested-in-that issues. =P But it's not for the same reason other things aren't released (writing), so there's that.
Well, I hope it manages to wake up from its slumber...
Aleema wrote:And your inventory request ... haha, yes! Okay! I fold. Now that I am way more comfortable with coding, I think I'll go back and redo a lot of the code with my new knowledge. It's so easy for me to do an inventory now, but back when I made this game, I was just learning how to do it and hated it. =P But you're right, it needs one now. No more excuses.
Good... reading all the suggestion posted in this thread, I have a feeling that you would have to re-write almost 80% of the code... Good luck on that...
Aleema wrote:I'm also leaning away from giving characters Experience points, and I think I'm just going to give the skills themselves experience points.
Hmm... in simple words, please... I'm confused...
Aleema wrote:Thank you again!
I should be thanking you for making such a wonderful game... these kinds of games are the fuel for writer's imagination...

Good luck...

Celestine
Veteran

#171 Post by Celestine »

Why do you think you need to recolor the sprites?? I think they look fine.

Your kidding :lol: on the not bishie attractive, right?
I think Lander is quite attractive.
Basil too. But he's not my type. Lander I want! :wink:

So your going to make a series. That sounds great. I'd love to know more about your story. :D
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

cosmo
Regular
Projects: | ZUKUNFT | Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play (WIP version 0.1) |

#172 Post by cosmo »

aha!

I just wanted to stop and have a look at the ongoing! Your former reply was fun to read. Thank you! I stopped replying you instantly as I wished to come back after some time. Again, I feel like it's a major project and so that it might be nice to come again … well, after some time :)

Now I see that you are busy with other things. Good luck for them!

I may stop here later on. Hoping to motivate you with your games and all those nice ideas! :)
Project: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play
Status: First demo version "Proof of Concept" of my first project is out.

xBarahime2

#173 Post by xBarahime2 »

Wew~~ These days I have been luring around in the forum and I found this xD This looks very awesome and I like the art :D It's beautiful xD I'm looking forward to this <33

__________Image__Image

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#174 Post by try10 »

Loved the DEMO ( the art the plot the characters personalities everything is great )!!!!

cosmo
Regular
Projects: | ZUKUNFT | Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play (WIP version 0.1) |

#175 Post by cosmo »

Hi, Aleema! I just would like to comment something again to show you that I care for you work. I think that I already wrote that I liked for example the sound design and the depth of the background story. I did not write that I am interested very much in your main character:

While playing your game I got the feeling that there will possibly be a development with her… Or better: That she bears a secret that will be revealed to the player only by time. Seraphine begins as a servant on a low position. But continuing the demo there seem to be secrets around her – and surprisingly she seems to be capable to survive and fight like a real heroine… She seems to have self confidence that others did not expect of her.

For myself this was the key motive of your game which makes me want to know more about it and to go on with it.
If I would play your more completed game in the future I will love to see more of her development – and how others are going to discover her and probably the secrets that you did not reveal so far…

For me personally it will be more important to see how the story will continue with this than to see any cool locations with fancy backgrounds where party will stay – or where they don't.

I hope you will find some time to complete it piece by piece!
And I also hope you enjoy going on with this!!! :)
Project: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play
Status: First demo version "Proof of Concept" of my first project is out.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#176 Post by Aleema »

cosmo wrote:For me personally it will be more important to see how the story will continue with this than to see any cool locations with fancy backgrounds where party will stay – or where they don't.
Haha, this statement is what I took the most from in your post. I agree. I love character development and stuff like that. She does have secrets, like others. And I'm a bad person for hinting at that, and then not having the complete story for you guys to play afterwards. =P

Thank you for another blush-inducing post.

Oestaira

#177 Post by Oestaira »

I have not yet finished playing this demo, but couldn't resist posting my first impressions nevertheless.
Seraphine is a beautiful piece of storytelling. Although I am personally nothing like the protagonist, the writing drags the player into her world and forces them to experience it through her eyes. I find myself feeling apologetic, confused and shamed by my strangeness as I play as Ere and learn more about her world. Any minor tweaks I would normally find annoyances are easily overlooked by the way it all works together in flawless immersion.
I look forward to the completion of this project.

bubblegumsmile

#178 Post by bubblegumsmile »

I hope that even though you are busy with other things this game does see the light of day because I loved the demo so much

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#179 Post by distorsion »

I second what bubblegumsmile said.
Btw, when I click on the game site link it takes me to a site for pharmasudicals. O.o
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#180 Post by ririruetoo »

Plan on playing the demo again for the 2nd time. I have to say this is such an amazing demo! I really can't wait for the full game.
ImageImageImage