"[mis]tales of ZETA" series official thread

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
darkknight
Veteran

#31 Post by darkknight »

I give good advice to people that dont bug me....If i did not respond would you have posted a forth and fifth time?
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#32 Post by Megaman Z »

darkknight wrote:I give good advice to people that dont bug me....If i did not respond would you have posted a forth and fifth time?
umm... no... considering that other people posted, disproving the assumption I had that people weren't giving a [bleep] about this... but good point...

(COMPLETELY off-topic: you might have too much crap on your computer if, when disk cleanup comes up, it takes a good fifteen minutes to "compress old files" on a 19GB hard drive...)
~Kitsune Zeta

bookie
Veteran

#33 Post by bookie »

Hosting> I have webspace but I don't know whether it can take any large amount of traffic. If you can't find anyone else I'll the game for you. Never tried any files over a few kbs, so *shrug*

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#34 Post by Megaman Z »

bookie>I don't know if compiling the game will add anything to the size of it, but all the required files for the developement of the game fit on one (uno, ichi [㈠; if I'm not mistaken on the character...], etc.) floppy disk, normal size.
(of course, in all stupidity, I never got a floppy drive put on my computer. :oops: [things like this happen... i guess])
I'll see if anyone else will host it. if not, expect an email...
~Kitsune Zeta

Grey
Veteran

#35 Post by Grey »

Just sign up for an angelfire account and host it there.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#36 Post by Megaman Z »

...and do what when angelfire fills up the remaining 1.98GB of free space on my computer with adware? it happens every time I go to one of those free angelfire sites. some way or another, after going to one, I have at least 50 new entries of adware dumped on my computer PER PAGE!
(also, I kinda lack HTML coding knowledge right now... those "teach yourself HTML in 24 hours" books take more than 24 hours... that's one of the reasons I can't get as much as a simple DL page up...)
~Kitsune Zeta

#37 Post by Guest »

if visiting a website is giving you adware then you desperately need to update your computer. make sure you have the latest security updates. Use a browser with popup blocking - like firefox - or if you MUST use IE then use Zones to turn the bloody javascript off!

If you disable javascript 95% of nasty things on webpages CAN'T TOUCH YOU.

(There are still some that can, of course, but most stupid web crap is just very simple js code.)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#38 Post by chronoluminaire »

I'd say don't expect too many posts until you release something. Progress updates are good, it lets people know you're still working on it (and we do notice the status updates in your sig), but there's kinda not too much to say until a screenshot or something is released... Don't worry, Zeta, I'm certainly looking forward to it. We all are. (I read every new post on the entire board, and I suspect there are several others like me)

And personally, I'm in favour of unconventional layouts to incorporate unconventional collections of images ;)

EDIT: You know that feeling where you were going to reply to something someone said in a conversation, but by the time you figured out what you wanted to say and got a word in edgeways the conversation had moved on to something completely different? I just experienced the equivalent in forum posts :shock:

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#39 Post by rioka »

You know, you don't have to use angelfire. Geocities, for example, usually only has a small block ad at the upper right-hand corner which visitors can minimize if they want to.
chronoluminaire wrote:EDIT: You know that feeling where you were going to reply to something someone said in a conversation, but by the time you figured out what you wanted to say and got a word in edgeways the conversation had moved on to something completely different? I just experienced the equivalent in forum posts :shock:
Yup! That's so frustrating at times. ^^;

Grey
Veteran

#40 Post by Grey »

As Guest said, use a browser like Firefox.

As for HTML, this is all you need for a basic download page. Just write it in notepad or something and save with a .html extension.

Code: Select all

<html>
<head>
<title>Simple Page</title>
</head>
<body>

<p>This is visible text that people will be able to read.</p>

<p><a href='www.downloadlink.com/whatever.zip'>Download the game!</a></p>

</body>
</html>
This will display correctly on a browser, even though it lacks background colour text colour etc. Simple HTML isn't really as complex as it may seem.

If you go to webmonkey or somewhere there are basic tutorials there for what the tags mean and some of the things you can do to alter appearance etc.

bookie
Veteran

#41 Post by bookie »

The way I learned HTML was, I needed to do something, and I found out how to do it. That's the best way. Reading a book won't tell you anything.

But if you can use a free service provider, my system will be easier. Just send me the file and I can host it, and make the dl page flashy and everything.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#42 Post by mikey »

Grey wrote:Just sign up for an angelfire account and host it there.
Angelfire? Wait... I had Black Pencil posted there (for a few hours) and they just pulled it down :( Remember? You helped me host it back then...

Grey
Veteran

#43 Post by Grey »

mikey wrote:
Grey wrote:Just sign up for an angelfire account and host it there.
Angelfire? Wait... I had Black Pencil posted there (for a few hours) and they just pulled it down :( Remember? You helped me host it back then...
Hmm, good point, I remember now. :roll:

Still it could be worth a try if you don't have any other space available. I'd go with bookies offer to host the file though, and just make/have a page made about the game which you can host on a free provider, or on bookies space.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#44 Post by Megaman Z »

Chrono wrote:You know that feeling where you were going to reply to something someone said in a conversation, but by the time you figured out what you wanted to say and got a word in edgeways the conversation had moved on to something completely different? I just experienced the equivalent in forum posts :shock:
yeah, I get that whenever I play internet games like Half-Life. I call it "L----------------A-------------------------[reconnecting..........]----------------G"!

unnamed guest above>>you forget about one thing I keep seeing nowadays: embedded *.SWF files. (either that or you haven't been to one of those sites that try to make you install a search bar on your computer...) they're a pain in the (at sign-dollar sign-dollar sign) to work around... you can't click under them, and tabbing doesn't always work.

grey>>that should help with the coding of the HTML. I take it I just need the location of the file for it to work... (good thing I already have my txt files show their extentions... that'll save a good three minutes...)

bookie>>figures... just like VisBASIC, you have to do it to learn it. (*WHACK* okay, so it's a cheesy line.)

mikey>>thanks for that little piece of extremely useful information about how hosting services can yank stuff from right under your feet. (no, really, they can! Home of the Underdogs was originally hosted on... geocities, I think... or was it Angelfire? regardless, they now use a server of their own...)
~Kitsune Zeta

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#45 Post by papillon »

Did I mention I also have activeX disabled on IE on the rare occasions I use it? Prevents flash (and several other things) from running at all. :)

IE is in some ways more helpful than firefox because I can easily put some zones on "NO" and others on "Maybe" and allow them to run things IF I accept the prompt and not otherwise.

On firefox, though, I just have the adblock plugin installed. If a flash thing (or ANY banner ad) annoys me, I make it go away permanently. This is slightly more trouble than my IE setup, as I have to see things once before I can get rid of them - and popup blocking on firefox is not 100% (popups that launch when you click on a link still get through).

But with either browser configuration, I never have any trouble with adware, search bars, etc.

I wouldn't suggest hosting downloads with Angelfire though, they do like to kill accounts with large files. Pictures, yes. Games, no.