Ideal [Psychological, Thriller]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
starmaster1246

Ideal [Psychological, Thriller]

#1 Post by starmaster1246 »

Curious as to if anybody finds this interesting:
Story:
Route 1 [Boy's perspective]
A boy standing under moonlight contemplates suicide. However, the boy is interrupted by a charming and eccentric man. After talking to the man the boy accepts his help, but unknown to him, is why he's willing to do anything it takes to help him.

This route will mainly focus on the happier, hopeful and lighter side of the man's personality and ideology. The boy will only witness this side of him with hints to his darker side during the route.

Route 2 [charming man's perspective]
What lies behind the mask of a man willing to do anything it takes to help another. Showing his perspective from childhood, to adult, was he born this way or did experience shape him?

This route will focus on the much darker and broken side of the man's personality and ideology.

The main focus of this story overall is going to be the mystery of the man's past, along with his motivations.

What I've done here might seem a bit barebones. The majority of the work I've done so far is pretty much mapping out the entirety of the man's backstory and reasons.

I would like your opinion, would like to read this story? Some honest critique of the plot, along with some of the possible pitfalls would be most welcome.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Ideal [Psychological, Thriller]

#2 Post by Zelan »

The idea has some potential. I'm assuming that a player would have to play Route 1 before Route 2 even became an option?

I'm curious as to how you would plan on balancing the "lighter" side of the man's ideology with the "darker" side, especially if you plan for the darker side to be mostly hidden in Route 1. Also, I'm sure this is intentional so as not to spoil the whole thing, but there's so little information here that it's hard to really make a judgement on the premise.

starmaster1246

Re: Ideal [Psychological, Thriller]

#3 Post by starmaster1246 »

Zelan wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:12 pm The idea has some potential. I'm assuming that a player would have to play Route 1 before Route 2 even became an option?

I'm curious as to how you would plan on balancing the "lighter" side of the man's ideology with the "darker" side, especially if you plan for the darker side to be mostly hidden in Route 1. Also, I'm sure this is intentional so as not to spoil the whole thing, but there's so little information here that it's hard to really make a judgement on the premise.

Yes, the player would complete route 1 first, then they would unlock route 2.
I understand what you're saying. The best way I can describe it is, think of the first route being similar in a sense to movies like Good Will Hunting and Dead Poet Society. It will have a theme of dealing with our problems, letting people in and becoming a man.
This route will focus very heavily on the charming man's belief, that the external world around us can be changed through positive actions(talking things like that, essentially more peaceful and civil actions).
To give a small example of the man's personality: He has no respect for people who go through life improving their own lives at the cost of others. He believes that strong people are capable of not just improving their own lives but those of the people around them.

Think of the second route being more akin to tv series like Breaking Bad and Dexter. The crippling reality of his ideal in the real world takes its toll on him, this combined with his past built up repressed anger slowly destroys him.
The focus of this route will be on the inner struggle between the part of him that wants to believe in humanity and the cynical side that detests it. As he starts becoming more ruthless, engaging in more extreme actions, he will struggle with the consequences of those actions. The Second part of the route will mostly be thriller-ish.