My various ideas

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Horma
Regular

My various ideas

#1 Post by Horma »

Edit: nothing to see here
Last edited by Horma on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Dating with... a fish

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

If you like it, go for it.

Personally, I deleted Hatoful boyfriend after 5 minutes and 15 seconds, but of course, I was not the target audience.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Horma
Regular

#3 Post by Horma »

Yep, I actually didn't like Hatoful Boyfriend either. Too happy-go-lucky for me.

I actually was thinking that this would be a balanced view on sexual fantasies and when they start going a bit too far. Thus, the human form of the fish would be just the protagonist's imagination and she would know it. She starts spending too much of her time with these fantasies and lose focus on real life.

nekobara
Regular

#4 Post by nekobara »

This reminds me a bit of ebi-hime's VN, Schoolgirl x Squid.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22898&p=288100&hil ... rl#p288100

In it, a schoolgirl talks to and takes care of her pet squid, who sometimes appears as an extremely handsome and well-dressed human. I loved that VN. I should play it again.

Anywho, if you decide to make a KN out of your Protagonist x Fish idea, you might want to give the MC more motivation for fantasizing about a fish. Sure, I suppose she could begin imagining that her pet fish is a human just because of lustful thoughts, but it probably wouldn't hurt to add something besides that.

Maybe the MC is extremely lonely, and the fish-man could be her lover AND her companion. Or maybe she has always secretly dreamed of dating a merman, and once her screws come loose she thinks to herself "My fish is close enough."

Those might've been bad examples, but hopefully they helped a little. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 😺
*meow*

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

lmao have you seen the reception for the shape of water??? people love their fish men bro

That said, if you're going for a Hatoful Boyfriend-type vibe, you'd actually probably have to work pretty hard to get it noticed. HB sort of paved the way for all sorts of dateable animals/objects - I've seen bears, guns, and chicken wings within the past 2 months, and I'm sure there's more out there.

That more serious plot would definitely set your game apart from games like these, but I can forsee a couple of problems with it. For one, people might associate it closely with the aforementioned games, and be really shocked/scandalized to realize it's a game about sexual fantasies. You'd want to be really clear about the game's subject material, probably rating it 18+, or at the very least 16+. Also, you want to be careful that you don't stray into the territory of "kinkshaming." Like I said, people love their fish men. It's one thing to make a VN about sexual fantasies going "too far," but I'm curious as to where you draw that line. If people interpret your game as saying "no one should be attracted to fish men, it's weird," regardless of whether or not that's what you meant to say, you're gonna have a lot of angry furries (scalies?) on your hands.

All that said, if you're interested in your idea I'd say go for it. It sounds like a unique take at any rate, I don't think I've seen anything like it before.

(Side Note: Did you play through ALL of Hatoful Boyfriend? Because lemme tell you it certainly doesn't stay happy-go-lucky. A good deal of the time, maybe, but it has its darker moments.)

Horma
Regular

#6 Post by Horma »

Nothing
Last edited by Horma on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Imperf3kt »

I try to keep an open mind.
I prefer my fish on a sandwich, but that doesn't mean you can't have a fish in your bed either.

I'd say its unique and not my thing, but nothing should stop you from enjoying it. I have my own preferences which also may not align with society's 'accepted' views, but it doesn't really involve a different species :P

Being able to freely express yourself, without fear of shame, is important in my opinion. The anonymity of the internet helps in this regard, as long as you don't delve into illegal/taboo subjects such as bestality.

Twitter

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#8 Post by Zelan »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:01 pmI have my own preferences which also may not align with society's 'accepted' views, but it doesn't really involve a different species :P
Well now I'm curious. :lol:
Being able to freely express yourself, without fear of shame, is important in my opinion. The anonymity of the internet helps in this regard, as long as you don't delve into illegal/taboo subjects such as bestality.
I'd pretty much agree with this, although some would argue that sexual content involving furries IS bestiality, so I mean... y'know. Obviously, having your MC straight up fucking an animal is another thing altogether, but anthropomorphic love interests are already sort of a gray area. Even if it isn't illegal, it's still controversial.

Horma
Regular

Re: My various ideas

#9 Post by Horma »

I had another idea today and need some feedback: If my main character killing someone who tortured them in the end of the story fits the overall plot and the message to be conveyed better than any other action, but it doesn't sit right with my vision of the character, which is better to sacrifice? I know that's kinda vague and really up to me, but I'd still like some input.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: My various ideas

#10 Post by Imperf3kt »

You aren't considering killing people now are you :P

Anyway, thats the good thing about Visual Novels: why not take both paths, one path can have the psychopathic route while another goes a different way. Which is the 'True' path is up to you, but by including both you can increase your horizons.

Of course, when and how you flag the split between routes is crucial, but also depends heavily on your story, so I can't comment on how you should handle that.

Twitter