Idiot Wind [Music, B x G, Dating Sim]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
BlackMagnolia
Regular

Idiot Wind [Music, B x G, Dating Sim]

#1 Post by BlackMagnolia »

I thought of this premise after seeing a particular post about a recently "disgraced" musician from one of his fans who laid claim that no matter what she'd defend him against any accusations with one of the reasons being that he makes superior music than his accuser. I have no opinion on the situation but I did find it disturbing on both sides how they form witch hunts against each other and have such rabid and unfaltering dedication to these people that they would believe anything. Some people even go so far as to fashion themselves after their favorite musicians, celebrities, whatever's image and eventually that's all they are. They have no person anymore.

Naturally, I wanted to explore this deeper.

Idiot Wind is pretty much about one (or two) of those musicians, fictional of course, as the shitstorm is dying down. One's career is in shambles and the other's is prospering. You can form relationships with some of the various people in their lives:

Musician 1 - S

A rabid fan who is dedicated to your very being regardless of whether or not you are on the right or wrong side of history.

One of your oldest friends and collaborators, whom has distanced themselves from you in public, but visits and helps you cope discreetly.

A famous musician who can care less about your whole situation altogether and wants to work with you professionally but not take it further than that

Your manager who has stuck by side in a rather cold and much more cautious and impersonal way.

Your accuser who was your former bandmate and partner, now pursuing a successful career

How the dating sim would work is that you gain relationships points through your interactions with the person you want to pursue as per usual of dating sims. However due to whatever relationship you pursue, public opinion of you could shift and the people you choose could even put your mental state into the red, leading to drug abuse and other pending urges that could result in a very bad end. For you and your partner. Some routes, yes, even the mainline routes, can be more difficult depending on who you chose.

Depending how your reputation, mental health and relationship fares by the end result screen, you can get various endings. Knowing me, the best ends may be bittersweet or even unhealthy to a degree looking from the outside in and the bad ones might leads to overdoses, double suicides, etc.

1. What do you think about the premise?
  • Do you think it is interesting enough to grip you throughout a full length VN?
  • What are your opinion on recent developments in the media about accusations against various figures of entertainment?
  • Who your favorite entertainer or inspiration and why?
Last edited by BlackMagnolia on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood [Music, Dating Sim]

#2 Post by Mammon »

1. I like the premise, I can see these more dark themed routes with obsession cutting into subjects like identity and being a role-model. Perhaps it may also give a good metagaming or deconstruction of how the MC in a VN is usually the centre that decides the personality and life of the cast simply by interacting with them (or not at all) and thusly lead them to bad endings or dark periods of their life. And usually in VN it's with a rather uninvolved MC they barely knew, too. I can see potential and depth in this story you're pitching.

2. That really depends on your writing, even the best premise can get boring and the most mundane one can keep people entertained for hours. So I don't think I could ever answer this kind of question beforehand in an idea or WiP.

3. I don't particularly concern myself with tabloid news like that, most of it is sensationalism of a vulture and parasitic kind. The people who are the subject of this kind of media are either constantly bothered by it or thrive on it to keep their popularity alive.

4. I don't really have any such one idol, but in memorium of him dying today I'll answer Stephen Hawking. That man was famous for actual achievements in his field of research rather than luck in connections and appearance. His condition and humour only made him a public figure where he'd be a scientific niche celebrity in other cases.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

BlackMagnolia
Regular

Re: Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood [Music, Dating Sim]

#3 Post by BlackMagnolia »

Mammon wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:28 am 1. I like the premise, I can see these more dark themed routes with obsession cutting into subjects like identity and being a role-model. Perhaps it may also give a good metagaming or deconstruction of how the MC in a VN is usually the centre that decides the personality and life of the cast simply by interacting with them (or not at all) and thusly lead them to bad endings or dark periods of their life. And usually in VN it's with a rather uninvolved MC they barely knew, too. I can see potential and depth in this story you're pitching.
I'm glad you think so! Yes, these topics will definitely be brought up and examined since they are especially important in such a scrutinizing society . I like the idea of this being a deconstruction of the consequences of the MC when people's lives are intertwined with his. Most MCs don't even really have a personality of their own and you have to wonder if they are really the main characters of their own stories. That can get into some very surreal, psychological passages should that route be pursued. it'd be criminal not to.
2. That really depends on your writing, even the best premise can get boring and the most mundane one can keep people entertained for hours. So I don't think I could ever answer this kind of question beforehand in an idea or WiP.
That's fair enough. I guess that'll have to be seen in practice.
3. I don't particularly concern myself with tabloid news like that, most of it is sensationalism of a vulture and parasitic kind. The people who are the subject of this kind of media are either constantly bothered by it or thrive on it to keep their popularity alive.
I don't force myself into the know and how regarding the media for the same reasons. it's a self-serving shitshow and I can agree with your assessment.
4. I don't really have any such one idol, but in memorium of him dying today I'll answer Stephen Hawking. That man was famous for actual achievements in his field of research rather than luck in connections and appearance. His condition and humour only made him a public figure where he'd be a scientific niche celebrity in other cases.
Aye, bless that genius's heart. I am surprised he was alive as long as he was but his achievements will live on long after. He's traveling starlight now. RIP.

BlackMagnolia
Regular

Re: Idiot Wind [Music, B x G, Dating Sim]

#4 Post by BlackMagnolia »

I've been brainstorming the backstory that lead up to the actual present-day setting of the story and thinking of new mechanic that might be difficult to implement.

The back story simply being that the MC who has moved on from music after seven years in the US is a mechanic now, though he still checks in on the new talents at one of the places he used to frequent. One night he sees a young woman, who seems tiny and delicate compared to the people there, go up on the stage for open mic who can barely reach the microphone. Nonetheless, she goes into heavy metal mode with no accompaniment and just blows the roof of the place acapella. The woman could scream and howl and sing like no one's business. It sparks something inside the MC and he pretty much shows up to every show. He quickly creates some demos and tracks her down to where she squats, an out of use warehouse. She declines but he keeps trying and one nigh when she's hammered beyond belief and about to be taken advantage of, the MC beats the shit out of the dude and takes her to his home to rest and sober. Hungover and freaked out when she wakes, MC explains what went down the previous night. She finally agrees.

They hit it big. Fast. Their live shows are infamously wild with on-stage drinking and smashing bottles on fans heads, intense versions of all their songs, locking the doors and playing at ungodly loud volumes, and performing near nude and jumping into the crowd, allowing fans to touch everything their can get their hands on. Most of this is courtesy of the MCs bandmate and they get into intense disagreements about her drug use, inappropriate behavior and missing recording sessions. Despite this, their relationship becomes extremely personal and volatile with sometimes it becoming physically abusive and controlling on the part of the MC to actually keep her in line, even though it's wrong. One particularly wild night, after the show and subsequent party, both are drunk and they end up having sex. Certain things come to light: The girl is still a teenager and she was a runaway. This does not get out into the public but forms a break between the two. Eventually, she leaves the band, calling its end despite the MC going to continue on without her. She issues a statement that details the MCs controlling and abusive nature as well as their taboo personal relationship which leads to vast cancellations and being dropped from his label. Thousands of fans support the MCs former bandmate while the MCs career is wrecked beyond repair at this point. The story then starts with the MC returning from overseas to Los Angeles where he first discovered his bandmate and follows what happens thereafter.

The mechanic I wanted to detail was about the type of music that the MC starts making regarding the person he goes for and his mental state. I think, however, that may be too in depth to actually pull off but it's a interesting idea nonetheless. I did a few rough renders of some of the characters but haven't decided their names yet. I'll post those soon.