A Historical VN/Dating Sim?

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
caterwaulings
Regular
Organization: Lux Corona Media
Tumblr: luxcorona

A Historical VN/Dating Sim?

#1 Post by caterwaulings »

Hi there! I’m an experienced novelist who is able to take stories from beginning to end in contemporary, urban fantasy, high fantasy, and historical settings. I love visual novels with a dating sim element and want to create one. I don’t want to do the general sort of high school story, but at the same time I know that those are often in demand…

I’m planning on releasing on Android and iOS once the project is completed, so keep that in mind!

I have some very basic themes that I am exploring. I’d love to know if as players and/or creators you find them interesting and engaging or if these genres make you go “eh.” ALSO! Can you recommend any fantasy, sci-fi or historical vns? For now, this is the concept I'm most pumped about.

STARLET
Set in approx 1909-1911 NYC, the mc would start a career as a silent film actress. Love interests could range from costars to director/other film crew, fan(s), and perhaps even a young man who doesn’t know she’s an actress and gets a shocker when he finds out. Beyond the romance there would be an underlying story of a young woman trying to support her family including a sick mother, as well as exploring the struggles of a young woman in the early 20th century. (Note: I have studied this era a lot, hehe).

This would be the first project I'd be heading up myself, although I have worked for other people in the past on their VNs.
Cate, Novelist & Story Consultant -- See my info here

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: A Historical VN/Dating Sim?

#2 Post by fleet »

If you are pumped about the idea, go for it! I don't recall seeing any visual novels with a setting similar to "Starlet"
If the art is decent people will play it.

Since you asked "Can you recommend any fantasy, sci-fi or historical vns?", I wrote a time travel visual novel "Wallis and the Time Machine", where the main character has the decision to time-travel to colonial America (1692), a post apocalyptic future, or the year 1912. You can find it by checking the links in my siggie.
Caution: Not safe for work.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

polaroidcaesar
Projects: To Our Noble End

Re: A Historical VN/Dating Sim?

#3 Post by polaroidcaesar »

This actually sounds like a pretty interesting idea. Go for it my dude!