Well Met official (I guess) thread

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
bookie
Veteran

Well Met official (I guess) thread

#1 Post by bookie »

Download the Beta!
Partly to get feedback, and partly to prove that I'm not just blowing smoke (XD) I'm uploading the beta here. Please download and look through it if you like, and give me your impression of how things are going. The script should be complete, but I lost some changes and there's a chance a scene might be missing. I haven't been able to check that yet. >.>;

Download Here
The download expires regularly so if you want the file just ask.

'Well Met' Status
Characters: 2%
Clubanimon is graciously doing the artwork for this project now, so there's headway on the images!

Backgrounds: 100%
Clubanimon is amazing XD

Planning/Story: 100%
Yay!

Writing: 100%
Writing is completed and edited!

Coding: 100%
I made the deadline I set for myself and everything! *pops confetti*

Testing: 40%
Chugging through it.

Music: Doesn't look like it, but we do have sound effects.

About
First off, it's BL(shounen-ai) sorry all you shoujo lovers. I'll make sure the teacher's extra sexy or something. XD. It's also limited to two major characters and it's in the third person. I figured the less characters I had, the more I could concentrate on plot and variation of expression.

The premise is: May's a student at the royal academy of military magic (campy, I know) and Dalen is an exchange student who catches his eye. If I said any more I guess I'd ruin the whole thing, so I wont. :|

Concept stuffage
My lame ass sketches of what the characters kinda sorta look like. Most likely they won't look anything like this in the finished product. (that is, if I have anything to say about it.)

Dalen
May
[/url]
Last edited by bookie on Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 16 times in total.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#2 Post by chronoluminaire »

Cool! I love Dalen's character concept! Bishie poser alert ;) And I love magical-school settings. I don't see enough of them. Limiting to two major characters is a good idea in a first game!

Re the BL thing, it may lose you a few players, but we're not too closed-minded here :) It's not what I normally go for... but I can cope if it's romantic and well written. Good luck with the writing and the *shudder* chasing the character artist!

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

Sounds like an interesting story idea. I'm not a huge BL fan, but I'm not against it either. (I read some slash fiction, and I like looking at pictures of pretty boys posing together, but I've never had any urge to check out actual manga/anime of the stuff.) Will look forward to seeing it!

bookie
Veteran

#4 Post by bookie »

chronoluminaire wrote:Cool! I love Dalen's character concept! Bishie poser alert ;) And I love magical-school settings. I don't see enough of them. Limiting to two major characters is a good idea in a first game!
Even with just two characters, my script is taking up 2 notebooks. :lol: But it's fun so I don't mind, hehe.

And here's the concept sketch of May that my artist did. I swear she's god's personal gift to this game. He's completely different from what I had, but all I care about is the attitude. :wink:

May's concept.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#5 Post by rioka »

Ah, a BL game, set in a magic-school, and in third person... Can't wait! :D

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#6 Post by mikey »

Nice concept! Heh, there's so many girls making games, that it doesn't even strike me when there are male protagonists anymore ^_^. Talk about things changing...

All in all, I'd love to play it! Perhaps I will discover a new side of me... *gulp* :wink: (of course I meant the side that likes magic, what did YOU think...)

bookie
Veteran

#7 Post by bookie »

mikey wrote:Nice concept! Heh, there's so many girls making games, that it doesn't even strike me when there are male protagonists anymore ^_^. Talk about things changing...

All in all, I'd love to play it! Perhaps I will discover a new side of me... *gulp* :wink: (of course I meant the side that likes magic, what did YOU think...)
Oh, we'll bring your over to the dark side if we have to beat you over the head and drag you. :twisted:

There are actually a lot more commercial BL games out there then I throught at first. And the western fan community is strong but small. It's just a pain that BL is hardly translated at all.

JackalAndromeda
Regular

#8 Post by JackalAndromeda »

This looks like fun! <3 I'm a BL fan, and I love magic school settings. I like how you're keeping us updated on the progress. (Perhaps the NaNoRenMo threads have started a trend?) I'll keep my eye on this for sure. =3

bookie
Veteran

#9 Post by bookie »

Yeah, the -Mo is what did it. I was part of NaNoWriMo last year and it did wonders for me so I know how helpfull oppresive deadlines can be.

But I can't edit the top post so this thread won't be as neat as I hoped. hehe.

I'm trying to finish a scene a day, but that's getting difficult. The deeper into the story I go, the more complicated the connections. It begins to feel very much like I've spun myself into a web.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#10 Post by rioka »

If you haven't done so already, an overview of the whole story with the major path points noted in between is a great help for complex stories.

I usually start out with the whole story outlined and written out before going into details and creating each scene. Just think of it as storyboarding before the actual film/manga/cartoon/etc work begins.

bookie
Veteran

#11 Post by bookie »

Yeah, that's what I had done. But I realized that somethings overlapped (good) and other things seemed to split in ways I hadn't anticipated (bad) so the trick for me right now is to keep things cohesive and not accidentaly blow the plot up exponentialy. Otherwise I'll never finish. :o

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#12 Post by chronoluminaire »

bookie wrote:Yeah, that's what I had done. But I realized that somethings overlapped (good) and other things seemed to split in ways I hadn't anticipated (bad) so the trick for me right now is to keep things cohesive and not accidentaly blow the plot up exponentialy. Otherwise I'll never finish. :o
Yes. This is important. *speaks from experience* *shudder*

But I'm looking forward to seeing the game! :)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#13 Post by rioka »

bookie wrote:Yeah, that's what I had done. But I realized that somethings overlapped (good) and other things seemed to split in ways I hadn't anticipated (bad) so the trick for me right now is to keep things cohesive and not accidentaly blow the plot up exponentialy. Otherwise I'll never finish. :o
Good luck! It'll come to you if you ponder at it long enough but don't forget to take a break if you need to. The best ideas are usually those when least expected.

bookie
Veteran

#14 Post by bookie »

Instead of 4-16 scenes, it's now 7-17 scenes, but the going is a little slower. If I can finish scripting by the middle of the month, I can use the rest of april to do the coding and start cracking the whip over my artist.

This is so much fun, hehe.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#15 Post by rioka »

bookie wrote:This is so much fun, hehe.
Which is? Making the game or cracking the whip over your artist? ;D