~Softly Spoken~ Project Still Recruiting!!!

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Concealed Fury
Projects: Soft Spoken~Drama

~Softly Spoken~ Project Still Recruiting!!!

#1 Post by Concealed Fury »

Footprints on the Moon follows the story of a boy named Keisuke who can't confess to the girl he loves, also his current resident, Aiko, who secretly loves him too. Upon going to school on Valentines Day, Keisuke meets a girl named Manami, whom he saves from an accident and is given a kiss from. (Of course the kiss occurs in front of Aiko and her friend Haru) From this point a drama story unfolds like no other

Still looking for a programmer/scripter
Last edited by Concealed Fury on Thu May 21, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: ~Footprints on the Moon~ Project Recruiting!!!

#2 Post by PyTom »

I'm just curious... but what do you need both an assistant programmer and a co-programmer for? If you want a programmer to help, you should ask for one... but three people seems like overkill to me.

I believe it was Fred Brooks who pointed out that the cost of communications between programmers goes up with the square of the number of people on the team... so more programmers can sometimes hurt, rather than help, a project.

I am glad to see that you're willing to put some skin in the game by offering your art services. However, recruiting pitches tend to go over easier if you link to some examples of your work.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Jake
Support Hero

#3 Post by Jake »

PyTom wrote:I'm just curious... but what do you need both an assistant programmer and a co-programmer for? If you want a programmer to help, you should ask for one... but three people seems like overkill to me.

I believe it was Fred Brooks who pointed out that the cost of communications between programmers goes up with the square of the number of people on the team... so more programmers can sometimes hurt, rather than help, a project.
It depends what you're after, really. It's more applicable in larger programming projects, but for a VN example, the project I just finished had points-based branching, a few UI customisations, some animations as single displayables and a few sequences made up of carefully-timed sounds, transitions and graphics. It would have been entirely possible for the scripting and the points programming to have been carried out totally separately from the UI customisation, both separately from the animations, and all three of those separately from the timed sequences. None of them relied on each other at all.

Now, it would have been a waste of time to get each of the five main animated displayables coded by a different programmer each, because they all share a common foundation and approach, so it's quicker for one guy to work on them. And it would have been counter-productive to try and get more than one guy to code the scripting and points system at the same time, because they'd have been treading on each other's toes with points assignment and deciding how to do the branching and so on. But it's not impossible at all to have a VN comprised of many different functional areas which are pretty much totally discrete.

Of course, if that's the case it would be far more productive to say "I'm looking for a UI programmer and a programmer for scripting timed semi-animated events in Ren'Py" than just asking for a co- and assistant.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Concealed Fury

#4 Post by Concealed Fury »

I see. Yeah that would make more sense. Okay I'll have to fix this.

Okay currently needing:

Background Artist
Color Designer
UI Programmer
Program Scripter

I hope thats a little better.

dstarsboy
Veteran

#5 Post by dstarsboy »

Your story sounded interesting and with only 3 characters, it doesn't seem too ambitious. Do you have an update on how it's going? Just curious.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

x__sinister
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi, Grim

#6 Post by x__sinister »

I wouldn't mind helping a bit.
I could take a stab at backgrounds (we'll have to talk about that over PM)
and I could also do some simple coloring; nothing spectacular.

I could also help with some of the writing if you need a second opinion or a critical eye to look at it. (:
A literate roleplaying community.

Concealed Fury

#7 Post by Concealed Fury »

Sorry for the absence. I've made a couple changes to the VN:

-Name: ~Softly Spoken~
-Characters: 5 Main, 3 Extra
-**Story: 12 Chapters(Events vary based upon decisions made in the previous chapters)**

I've talked it over with a friend of mine who suggests the VN better be told in seperate chapters that change the events in the following chapters. Should be a nice twist. As for progress...the script is done the backrounds are almost complete and the character art will be done soon.

I'm still in need of a good programmer that can make this VN sparkle. If interested please PM