In The Thick of It [G x B][Romance/Slice of Life]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Sami-Fire
Regular
Tumblr: execdreamcycle
Deviantart: Sami-Fire
Soundcloud: Sami-Fire

In The Thick of It [G x B][Romance/Slice of Life]

#1 Post by Sami-Fire »

Hello, everyone! I'm here to start small and cozy with today's VN concept. Let me introduce you to...
In the Thick of It
What is it?
As I've been telling various people, the one-sentence clickbait pitch version of this VN is, "Otome game where all the romance interests are chubby guys."

There's a bit more to it than that; namely, this seemingly modern world has a little sprinkle of magic in it. You'll get to see it in action... eventually.

But yes, this is supposed to be a small, cozy, happy visual novel with average guys living (mostly) average lives. Something small and fluffy, good for bite-sized enjoyment when you need it.
Who is in it?

We're starting with a small cast for now, but maybe someday more folks will be added!

Irene - Our Protagonist

Irene is our player character, a lovely girl with a zeal for life and a tendency to notice the people around her. A little nosy, but that's largely because her tendency to pry leads her to interesting places. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

David - The Guy Next Door

David is a sweet, gentle guy and Irene's childhood friend. A bit clingy sometimes, though, sort of. Also lacks confidence and self-esteem, but does his best to function. He may not stand out particularly much in a crowd, but he will do his best to be there for you.

Vincent - The Edgy Guy

As the archetype says, Vincent is edgy and grouchy and makes a great big deal of being tough and a bad boy. He acts grumpy and cryptic and makes a fuss over little things. Doesn’t react well to being noticed, but the way he’s sulking, you can’t help but notice him anyway. “What’re you staring at?”

Roland - The Token Catboy

Here's where we get to see a little magic! What's a catboy doing in what is ostensibly a normal modern romance VN? Well, technically, Roland is a Felei, but you don't need to know all the jargon right now (and he won't fuss over it either). Roland is prone to doing a lot of cat things, primarily eating and sleeping in the sun. He never forgets sunblock though. He also rubs up on things and people he likes... like a cat.
Where are we going from here?

Well, we're going here, there, and everywhere! There's a lot to be done still, planning aside. Once I start writing and get a better idea of how stuff is going to go, I'd like to find an artist and at least have the character art done so I know what I'm looking at. But right now I'm just going to work on getting as much down as possible (though it'd be nice to at least get character designs soonish).

What do you want to see from this?

There you have it! Now, I ask you: after reading this little brief, is there anything you'd like to see in the story, or that you're expecting from something like this? Keep in mind the small scope intended for the project when making suggestions.

Thank you for stopping by!

Fulcrum

Re: In The Thick of It [G x B][Romance/Slice of Life]

#2 Post by Fulcrum »

I might not be the guy who's best to give you advice, but the least I can do is tell you what I think of it!

That's a quite interesting concept that would stand out well among graphic novels. Although I don't guarantee you everyone will rush over it (though I hope), it is a game that would definitely get attention and popularity from the Fat Admirers community. (Btw, when you think about chubby boys, how heavy do you imagine them? Rather light or heavy loads?)
I also approve of going for a fluff approach. Sometime, we don't need Dating Sims to mirror reality but to be fun and give us a break from daily life, just like a light-hearted SoL anime does after a long workday.
It's nice to see a main character with a well defined personality. I can see female players liking Irene and identifying with her throughout the game if she's as enjoyable as you present her.
However, despite not having played a lot of VNs, I must say that only three datable guys for one char might feel a bit short-handed. I think that adding just one or two more is enough room to explore other, interesting and/or cute character concepts and add more replay value.
I am also curious to see what part magic will play within the story, because there hasn't been much allusion to it so far beside the Catboy thing. Will Irene be able to use it to perhaps get her way with one of the boys?

I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread, because your project is interesting and I hope it will come to fruition!

PS: Nice play on words with the title.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: In The Thick of It [G x B][Romance/Slice of Life]

#3 Post by Zelan »

Fulcrum wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:28 pmHowever, despite not having played a lot of VNs, I must say that only three datable guys for one char might feel a bit short-handed. I think that adding just one or two more is enough room to explore other, interesting and/or cute character concepts and add more replay value.
I would disagree with this. I actually find three romanceable characters to be fairly typical for a VN. Besides, I've played VNs with only one romanceable character, or no romance at all. The quality of the romances is more important than the quantity.