A Tale of Two Swindlers [VN][BxB][Mystery, Fantasy, Romance][18+]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
6nii9

A Tale of Two Swindlers [VN][BxB][Mystery, Fantasy, Romance][18+]

#1 Post by 6nii9 »

Gilbert came from a small town up north. Like what everyone else does, he travelled all the way to the biggest witch city together with his familiar to escape the colorless life in the snowy countryside—or so he says. In reality he wasn't even sure himself why he left. He was pretty satisfied with the quiet, peaceful life since he's never been the adventurous kind anyway. It was on impulse; something in him just dictated he has to do it. Now, he's regretting everything though.

Lady Luck has been stingy with him, and wouldn't even cast him a glance.

Three whole months has passed, and he still couldn't get accepted in any of the jobs that he applied for. He's capable of a few things and his magic is decent, but any possible source of income seems to be keen on avoiding him. His funds are running dry, and he's nearing that point where he'll have no choice but to go back home.

But finally, Lady Luck didn't just give him a glance, but smiled at him too.

Not only one, but three of the jobs he applied for accepted him after three months of wasted efforts and money. It is now up to him which one he wishes to pursue. It's already enough for him to have a stable source of income, but like every other story it doesn't just end with that. Gilbert ends up more involved than he's supposed to be, and it seems like he could finally find the reason his gut has led him to that city, and at that point in time.

❮ CHARACTERS ❯

Gilbert Holtberg
The main character of the story.
He isn't quite as interesting as he looks, preferring to keep to himself at most times. He deals with people when needed, but with his lack of expression and his usually unenthusiastic tone it's hard to get close with him—initially, at least. It seems like the cold weather in his hometome froze his face to look permanently neutral.
An adult witch who's been looking for a job for months, but can't seem to get hired at all.

Blaise Springfield
The resident magical cop who's a little too dedicated to his job.
He can be a little obsessed with order at times, and despises rule breakers. He has some sort of switch depending on who he's dealing with; he's awfully nice towards civilians, but seems like a cranky old man towards his subordinates. His reason for acting like that is unclear, but coffee is a recommended way to get on his good side.

Levy Caron
The familiar lover who started a shop so he can be surrounded by them.
He's a responsible man who looks younger than he actually is, but acts like a mother sometimes. He's a balanced combination of kind and strict, although for some reason the previous employees in his shop never lasted long aside from one.

Jameson Han
The only son of the city's biggest magical power business magnate.
He may be a bratty and reckless highschooler, but his magic abilities are no joke. He's able to maintain decent grades despite being a bit unruly, although he seems to fail in the common sense and decision-making department. He might need a little bit of guidance from an available adult (namely: someone not his parents).

❮ NPCs ❯
Artwork by MGO
  • McDee - Gilbert's familiar. He's a quirky talking lizard who's been with him for God-knows-how-long, that they're practically like brothers despite the huge difference in their personalities.
  • Evangel - A very friendly neighbor who recently moved in next door, who has a little bit more luck than Gilbert has. His smile is as warm as the coffee he makes in the shop he's working in, and whenever Gilbert needs someone to talk to who isn't his familiar, Evangel is the man to go to.
  • Kitty - The only employee that lasted in Levy's shop, although she only works part-time at the moment due to school. It also happens that she's Jameson's friend and classmate, getting along through their mutual air-headedness. She's always very energetic and warm, but has the tendency to do things she thinks she can do especially at work. It usually ends up in failure which causes her to get scolded by her boss, but she moves on very easily it's almost envying.
⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊

That's pretty much all the info I can share as of now. It's still in its very early stages, and I'm currently working as a one man team. Progress will be really slow since I also work as a contract artist for other titles, but it will definitely be steady!

Basically, it's a BL visual novel that takes place in a modern magical world. Most things are the same as what we have today (technology, media, etc.) except that everything runs on magical energy. Most of the population is made up of witches, having their own cities around the world. There will be romance of course, and I'm planning to have explicit sex scenes in the game (Don't worry, none of the characters is underage! They are all 18 and over). But that will just be a minor part of the story, as it will focus more on the mystery part.

Currently, I'm at about 30% with the story, I already finished outlining what I want to happen throughout the common route. Right now I am working on one of the branching routes and so far there hasn't been much of a problem. The script is what I'm having a bit of a trouble though, since I am not that big of a writer myself but I'm slowly figuring it out. In terms of art I don't want to overdo it this early, so I only worked on the basic designs. The only one I finished so far is the main character's sprite so I have something to put while I'm working on the GUI which is about 50% done. I want to focus first on the story before I do most of the artworks!

I'd be happy to hear feedback if you have any. Thanks for taking the time to read!
Last edited by 6nii9 on Thu May 24, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

Re: A Tale of Two Swindlers [VN][BxB][Mystery, Fantasy, Romance][18+]

#2 Post by Inksword »

I dig the idea, and I'm drawn to the little bits of the world you've talked about. I'd love to hear more about that once you refine your pitch, and also more about the mystery you put in the title but haven't revealed much of! I'll be keeping my eye on this!

6nii9

#3 Post by 6nii9 »

Inksword wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:01 pm I dig the idea, and I'm drawn to the little bits of the world you've talked about. I'd love to hear more about that once you refine your pitch, and also more about the mystery you put in the title but haven't revealed much of! I'll be keeping my eye on this!
Thanks! I'm not quite sure yet how much of the mystery I can reveal without being spoilery, so I'll be talking more about that once I sorted it out! For the lore it's an old concept I made up some time ago, I think a lot of details about it won't really be important but I'm planning to discuss the basic stuff at least. :D

MilanaWalters
Regular

#4 Post by MilanaWalters »

that sounds interesting, and the art is pretty! good luck on this!

6nii9

#5 Post by 6nii9 »

MilanaWalters wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:41 pm that sounds interesting, and the art is pretty! good luck on this!
Thanks a lot!

6nii9

#6 Post by 6nii9 »

Posting a preview - the MC, Gilbert, has a variety of clothing depending on the job route he takes.
Gil_clothing.png
Aside from that there's also Blaise's sprite in-progress, and the important part of his uniform - the pooch :D
blaise and his familiar.jpg

Wijetron
Projects: The Lights of The Forest, Pathway to Stardom

#7 Post by Wijetron »

This looks amazing!