Offering BGM services

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
shizeetv2

Offering BGM services

#1 Post by shizeetv2 »

Hey, I've been lurking these forums for a while, but haven't joined until now. I've tried many of these games, and often found them to be a nice diversions and such. Anyways, I'm here to offer my services in composing some BG music for these games; I'm working on a major project right now, but it consists of writing mostly epic, rpg-ish music. I wanna try writing some more lighthearted music for a change of pace, and short ren'ai games seems like a good place to go. For those who are interested, here are some samples of my 'style' in writing music (though I can be rather flexible).

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#2 Post by rioka »

Hi shizeetv! It's good to hear a someone finally offering to compose background music. With so many projects going around, I'm sure someone will come around and ask for your services. =)
:goes off and downloads shizeet's music samples: Dang, that's alot! (Ooo~! That track doesn't go with any of my games but maybe I'll make a game specifically for it anyways... ;P)

shizeetv2

#3 Post by shizeetv2 »

Well, I guess you can use the pre-exisiting tracks I have, but some of them were made for other specifically for other games (ie, any of the midis in the DK or Projects folders, and their corresponding mp3s); I'd prefer if you'd not use these - besides, the point of this thread is for me to write some new tracks to be used ;). Anyways, for anyone who's interested, it's a very informal process. Just post (or pm) a description of the piece you want written (the more detailed, the better), and I'll get back to you on that as soon as I can (probably with a 'sketched' version of the piece).

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#4 Post by Megaman Z »

I ~may~ contact you about doing music for a certain project. keep an eye on your inbox.
~Kitsune Zeta

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#5 Post by rioka »

shizeetv2 wrote:besides, the point of this thread is for me to write some new tracks to be used ;).
Of course and if it's lively you're aiming for, I may as you in future... Speaking of the future, how much time should we give you to compose and finish a piece?

shizeetv2

#6 Post by shizeetv2 »

Hmm, I guess that depends on the length and complexity of the piece. I can finish a simple 1~2 minute piece in a day or two, though longer ones or ones with thicker instrumentation may take up to an week to polish off. I can also record it in audio in most of the standard compressions (mp3, ogg, wav, etc), if you'd want that instead of a MIDI.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

I believe I might also need your services for Foxtaile. Do you think you're up to the challenge of creating BG music that sounds a little like medieval Japanese court music?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#8 Post by mikey »

Taleweaver wrote:I believe I might also need your services for Foxtaile. Do you think you're up to the challenge of creating BG music that sounds a little like medieval Japanese court music?
Do you want MIDI or waves? I'd be interested because the wavs (ogg, mp3) can take up quite some place, terribly disproportional to the actual game - waves have so much more depth, but take up space - 3 minutes of quality music sums up to 10 MB if you want more than the standard 128 bit quality. For several games I have already checked out very good music, but the MB cost was too high IMO. And I really don't like the flat sound of MIDI. :?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#9 Post by Taleweaver »

MP3 would be perfect, and a bitrate of 128 is good enough for me. That adds up to around 1 MB per minute, and with songs that loop after 1:30, it'll save on space. MIDIs are perfect, if you find some that sound good enough (I think I have a nice MID set of piano pieces for MetroBlues), but Foxtaile needs a little extra "oomph".
More about me in my blog

shizeetv2

#10 Post by shizeetv2 »

Hmm, I'm actually not that familar with medieval music, let alone japanese medieval music. But are you referring to really authentic Japanese music, or the exotic/stereotypical stylings used for movies/anime/etc? I believe many traditional asian musics use a more microtonal scale (aside from the pentonic ones), as they were more melodically oriented than our more harmonically oriented western music. It'd be kind of hard to have it authentically composed excepting for experts of such styles. If you have some example of the type of music, I may try to work off those.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

I don't need authenticity; something that SOUNDS Japanese is fine with me :)
More about me in my blog

shizeetv2

#12 Post by shizeetv2 »

Alright, I guess I can give it a shot - expect a PM with the link "soon" ;).

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#13 Post by Taleweaver »

Feel free to publish the link here as another example of your outstanding work - I guess it qualifies as a Foxtaile teaser of some sort :)
More about me in my blog

shizeetv2

#14 Post by shizeetv2 »

Alright, I guess it wouldn't spoil much ;) (it's only a rough sketch, after all) - here's the link.

bookie
Veteran

#15 Post by bookie »

The teaser worked. Now I wanna play the game. :o