月姫再度 (”Tsukihime Again”)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Nessiah
Regular
Completed: Valthirian Arc
Projects: DollMaker

Re: 月姫再度 (”Tsukihime Again”)

#16 Post by Nessiah »

Hime wrote:
Nessiah wrote:If I'm not wrong, melty blood had so much freedom because type-moon let them and that Type Moon even requested to make the resources free to use by fans or something like that. So...
Except that it was co-developed by Type-Moon and French Bread and thus isn't one bit of a fan production, rendering this pretty much wrong. I highly doubt the resources are free either, taking to account that the game itself is commercial. It'd be suicidal of T-M and FB to make them free to use when they're trying to make a living out out of games... D:

Type-Moon has presented acceptance to fanworks in a way though, since they let 07th Expansion make a parody of Ciel (Chieru-sensei) in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. However, they had asked T-M beforehand and Chieru was well, just a parodied, minor character in the story, so we can't draw conclusions from this.
No, no, it was actually in an article, I'll dig it up if I can find it again with this internet.
But basically Type Moon requested from French Bread or Queen-whatthenameisagain I can't really remember the exact thing. But it is known that Type-Moon is very loose regarding Doujin work of their own games due to that it's pretty popular in Japan. I mean look at Touhou, ZUN doesn't mind all the commercial fangames of it as long as it's not the widely commercial kind. It's because most companies like this in Japan tend to be more loose on fan works and if they start to get stingy then all the doujin makers out there would've gotten a lawsuit :P

Chrono Trigger on the other hand has a US affiliate so >_>
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Satoh
Regular

#17 Post by Satoh »

True about TYPE-MOON, I've been researching them for a few days now. True about Square but they're also just very anal. But aside from all that this is supposed to be about the recruiting for my project as opposed to the various and diverse viewpoints on how legal it should or should not be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see that a few people are- in a roundabout way- seeming to stick up for my ethics, but this really isn't the place for a legal debate, or even a friendly chat about the subject, now that the issue has been resolved under administrative authority and the original intent cleared up by the author of the post.

I will apologize for starting this little skirmish, but I am now trying to end it.

There is a forum, here, for discussion of things like Japan's laws and customs. While I do find the concept behind low budget copyright infringing works based on other's property being legally published under the stipulation of a limit on scope, # of products, and probable generated income, otherwise known as doujinshi, very interesting...

This is really no longer the place. To be honest this debate is sapping my inspiration as though it were a vampire.

If this keeps up, I'll have to move on to some other project just to recoup. I'm already considering it... Being in college I have enough stress on top of my recreational activities being made difficult.
Not the man I was before... He was an insufferable sort...

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#18 Post by Vatina »

Just continue with the project if it is what you want to do, Satoh. Projects like this have been done before (like the Sailor Moon games?), and will probably be done again.

I just think people were trying to ask "did you know this is illegal?" since there have been instances before where people were not aware about the rules around copyright until someone told them.

And then, after that, the choice is yours.

Edit: fix for clarity
Last edited by Vatina on Mon May 04, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Support Hero

#19 Post by Jake »

Satoh wrote: I will apologize for starting this little skirmish, but I am now trying to end it.

This is really no longer the place. To be honest this debate is sapping my inspiration as though it were a vampire.
Top tip: if your thread goes in a direction you don't like, there's little you can do about it unless forum administration are willing to move in. If people wanted to talk about what you wanted to talk about, they would be already. All the discussion of copyright law and so on is perfectly relevant to your work in progress, because people are telling you that what you're planning on doing is illegal, since you didn't seem to believe it beforehand.

And on that note, another warning:
Satoh wrote: IE: If I get a book, I can legally use its pages to line my bird cage if I like. I can burn it, mangle it, mutilate it, use it as a make-shift cigarette paper, etc. The same is true of virtual media. Once the files are provided me, I have the right to do with them as I please, again, with the exception of distributing copies or making money on the content.
This is not true.

Firstly, "distributing copies" also includes "distributing any derivative works", which includes "distributing anything which you made based on the resources of the virtual media". It's the same with the book - you own the pages, the paper and card and glue and ink, but not the information. You can do what you want with the plastic DVD or hard disk platter which you store the digital media on, but the media itself - and the information in the book - are not yours to do with as you wish.

Secondly, you state that you live in the USA, so you might want to look up the DMCA. Which states that it's illegal (off the top of my head, I think it's a criminal offence, as well) to circumvent copy protection measures. There are some exceptions, but they're all about education and obsolete formats and that kind of thing. Whether this is morally-sound or not is irrelevant, it's the law, and it makes this:
Satoh wrote: Now, what I am proposing, for those who haven't understood, is that anyone wishing to work on this project, may decompress their own copy of arc.nsa, and have all of the needed files. (the music will need to be acquired separately.)
illegal. Just so you know.

If you're confident Type-Moon are going to be cool with it and you don't think they (or any of their agents) will prosecute, then by all means go ahead with your project. But bear in mind that what you're doing up there isn't just announcing your intention to break the law, it's inciting others to break the law by assuring them that the activities are legal when in fact they are not. I'm no lawyer, but I'm fairly sure that at least in English law, incitement is a criminal offence as well, and can be prosecuted by the state regardless of whether the potential victims of the incited act are interested in prosecuting. I wouldn't be surprised if it's illegal in the US as well, since US law is originally based on English law.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found