Visual novel with only one patch?

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
kirkechan
Deviantart: Kirkechan

Visual novel with only one patch?

#1 Post by kirkechan »

Hi guys! I wanna make my own visual novel...but with only one path. Without many important choices. Just one path of game, but with a lot of puzzles like a Cezar code, riddles, and man others. Do you think game maked that way can be still good? Or there's no novel without many pathes?

Sorry for my bad English.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Visual novel with only one patch?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

What you're describing sounds like a kinetic novel. Very similar to a visual novel, and at the same time, not.

If you think you can make it, do it. There are many good KNs around.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Chiagirl
Regular
Completed: Ellen and the Pumpkin
Projects: The Crossing
itch: Chiagirl

#3 Post by Chiagirl »

Kinetic novels certainly can be popular as Fault and Narcissu have shown, but it's a lot harder to do. The reason being that kinetic novels don't really offer anything terms of "gameplay" (though you said you were planning on adding puzzles, which would help with that) so they have to rely on the art, story, and audio to hold the audience's attention. While many people can forgive so-so graphics or writing as long as the gameplay itself is really good, when you have no gameplay to speak of said graphics and writing needs to be top notch. The plus side of kinetic novels is that they are definitely easier to code, making them a good idea for a first time developer. If you want to do it then go for it, though I would heavily market the puzzle side of it as you're likely to draw in more potential customers that way.

alphawolf

#4 Post by alphawolf »

hi...

one quick question.
if the player finds the puzzle hard or cant do it at all...what happens then.
are they stuck at that point...or will you have a skip puzzle option to click on?

...ciao