Panic Pure [Drama, Psychological, Romance, BxG]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
BlackMagnolia
Regular

Panic Pure [Drama, Psychological, Romance, BxG]

#1 Post by BlackMagnolia »

Panic Pure

Premise
Panic Pure is a high school love story about a troubled inner-city youth, K, who relocates to the rural Kansas county of El Dorado with extended family after the loss of his father. He becomes acquainted with three young women in his new town. These three women: Carin, an intelligent, off the cuff punk, Dejah, a soft-spoken high school dropout recovering from shattered self-confidence, and Tula, an intense aspiring actress who wheres many faces from one day to the next to transcend her shortcomings, serve as a microcosm of American youth, dreams and a chance at love in a world that has the odds stacked against you. The story is told retrospectively through therapy sessions in the present day.

Cast
K

K is a man in his mid twenties, recounting his high school experience in bi-weeky therapy sessions. Depressed, isolated and lost in the ennui of adulthood he is attempting to pinpoint of the roots of his current problems in his past. In the time of the main narrative, K is a teenage boy from the East Coast who has dealt with the loss of his father and subsequent financial and personal fallout of divorce proceedings. He is sent to live with his uncle who lives in the Midwest. He is a serious, sardonic person who often lets his emotions get the best of him and his self-doubt causes him to spitefully sabotage with his relationships. Occasionally, he can be reflective and selfless when a person he really cares for needs his help. It takes a lot for him to open up but when he does, he can be warm, calm and accommodating.

Carin

Carin is an teenage girl who comes from a conservative, well-to-do family from northern Kansas who has a rebellious, unapproachable air about her. Despite how she comes off, she's more of a level-headed mediator than an instigator, striving to understand and hear people out. Can come off pretty blunt at times and apathetic to most situations she is faced with, tending to keep her emotions in check. Most of her time outside of school is spent riding through El Dorado county, reading in the library, and playing the drums at the local Riff Depot, a small, musty music store.

Dejah

Dejah is a high school dropout who works at her father's cafe. She is quiet and withdrawn and often communicates in short, hesitant sentences. She used to be much more rowdy and disobedient until her behavior resulted in...well, a wound that is still fresh in her memory. When not working, she paints watercolors as a form of therapy. A sweet girl when she opens up.

Tula

An intense young woman who aspires to be an actress. She is brash, fiery, and is not above putting on an act to get what she wants. She has a complex about her short stature and high-pitched voice. Believes that if she gets as deep into a role as she can that she can transcend herself and her flaws at least for a short time. She comes from "trailer trash" as other calls her family but still keeps her head high and proud to divert her feelings of shame and inadequacy.

Features

Basic, visual novel format: different choices lead to different routes.
1960s/70s Americana inspired presentation (Each girl's route having a musical theme and presentation from the 60s/70s relating to their personality?)
Story and dialogue informed by classic and cult films for a "dramatic indie" sensibility that is unique to the visual novel market.
Route overlapping with characters causing major decisions that will affect another's route.

Progress

Writing: --

BGs: --

Sprites --

Music --

Coding --

Will update in time.

Questions

How do you feel about visual novels that deviate from the usual "anime" aesthetic?
Which character seems the most intriguing to you with the small blurb of info provided?
What does the American Dream mean to you or if you aren't from America, how does your country's culture and society influence you as a person?
What stories do you want to see more of in VNs?
Any other questions you want to ask?

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Panic Pure [Drama, Psychological, Romance, BxG]

#2 Post by Zelan »

I remember your short project "Carin" from a year or so back. It's really cool to see how it's grown since the initial release. c:

How do you feel about visual novels that deviate from the usual "anime" aesthetic?: I like to see new art styles. Your 3D models are gorgeous - I don't see a lot of it that's this sleek and professional-looking on these forums.
Which character seems the most intriguing to you with the small blurb of info provided?: Dejah. I'm interested in knowing more about what happened to her and how it could have changed her personality so radically.
What does the American Dream mean to you or if you aren't from America, how does your country's culture and society influence you as a person?: Bit of a divisive opinion maybe, but the American Dream isn't much more than empty propaganda to me; for as many people that do get great opportunities here, there are others who are barricaded from receiving the same.
What stories do you want to see more of in VNs?: I definitely have a strong preference for queer narratives, but ultimately I'm really not all that picky with the stories I like. A good story is a good story, plain and simple.
Any other questions you want to ask?: I'm curious as to whether any of the stories has anything resembling a happy ending, since K in the present day is so depressed.

BlackMagnolia
Regular

Re: Panic Pure [Drama, Psychological, Romance, BxG]

#3 Post by BlackMagnolia »

Zelan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:46 am I remember your short project "Carin" from a year or so back. It's really cool to see how it's grown since the initial release. c:

How do you feel about visual novels that deviate from the usual "anime" aesthetic?: I like to see new art styles. Your 3D models are gorgeous - I don't see a lot of it that's this sleek and professional-looking on these forums.
Which character seems the most intriguing to you with the small blurb of info provided?: Dejah. I'm interested in knowing more about what happened to her and how it could have changed her personality so radically.
What does the American Dream mean to you or if you aren't from America, how does your country's culture and society influence you as a person?: Bit of a divisive opinion maybe, but the American Dream isn't much more than empty propaganda to me; for as many people that do get great opportunities here, there are others who are barricaded from receiving the same.
What stories do you want to see more of in VNs?: I definitely have a strong preference for queer narratives, but ultimately I'm really not all that picky with the stories I like. A good story is a good story, plain and simple.
Any other questions you want to ask?: I'm curious as to whether any of the stories has anything resembling a happy ending, since K in the present day is so depressed.

Ah, I remembered your critique a year back! Good to see you still have interest in this. To answer the last question first, a "happy" ending for the story being told can be attained but that does not mean that the off-screen years afterwards will be. As such is life unfortunately. However, there will be a post-script route depending on who you pick that may or may not be happy.

Thank you! In the year since I published "Carin" , I really learned how to clean up, light and render them best so visually, it will be very polished.

Your answer is one I was keeping an eye out for; the reason being that it is a thematic undercurrent in the story I'm trying to tell. So I wanted to hear other's opinions on it to take into account to portray many different perspectives.

Dejah is definitely the most mysterious on a surface level and daresay, the most "real" so I think you will enjoy the depth of her route.

Thank you for your answers and interest!