Distant Leaps to Circinus - [Dark Fantasy | Multiple Characters | Romance | Adventure | Psychological Horror ]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Khailz
Organization: The Unlighted
Deviantart: khailz
Soundcloud: khailz04

Distant Leaps to Circinus - [Dark Fantasy | Multiple Characters | Romance | Adventure | Psychological Horror ]

#1 Post by Khailz »

• A dark fantasy story that takes place on a reborn Earth.

• This is a story that is currently readable as a web novel on Royal Road. It is currently undergoing a rewrite, but it is available for normal reading there.
  • A century has gone by since humanity nearly wiped all life from the earth. Their lust for power and progress tempted them to tamper with an unknown entity and in turn, brought forth an enigma of change. The weather, animals, physics and even humans had all taken new forms. What does "The compass Planet" Circinus, offer to the children who are born upon its lands? What is the true nature of the "Second Sun"?
  • Distant Leaps to Circinus is about a world of mysteries.

• The lives of all living creatures are changed forever in an unforgiving world of rings. Enormous creatures roam the land, made up of the very life they were given. Crystals with entirely different elements, bring functionality and mystery to the world. Land masses that triumph the continents of the past world, float along an ununderstood axis, carrying the lives of millions with them. Children who can communicate in ways not known to anyone but them.
The story takes place a century after the first humans mysteriously awakened on the new world. Majority of the story follows young characters who have just started to truly explore their world. While they grow and learn, the vast amount of content is centered around their life and how they take on the challenges that arise.

• The story features many characters who, while young, still wish to survive and live their life to the fullest.

• One of these characters is a child named, Zeais. He has dark brown hair, gray eyes, and is unfortunate enough to be born without the ability to see color. Despite his impairment, he is able to see color for very few reasons, reasons of which are also part of Circinus's mystery.

Another young child who is of a peculiar nature is a girl named, Eris. With black hair and orange highlights, she holds eyes that were imbued with the markings of a halo. Part of a life that held mostly unfortunate loses, she still wishes to lead a life to where she can truly be happy.

Within the community of these special children, are those who were not born with any special traits at all. Anya, a young blond girl who only has her father, lives to run her family Inn and take care of her only family member. She searches for clues to become a great person and searches within herself for reasons to do the things she never thought she could before.

Many other children have been born into the new world, many of them can no longer be called children, but nonetheless, they are still part of the world.
  • A few tracks have already been made, featuring various artists that I've hired with what money I could.
  • I really wanted to have the music instill a sense of life to them. Each song tells a different story and hopefully holds the same sense of danger that the world has. Below is one of the tracks, which could probably be called the theme song, Children of Circinus.
    After that, the entire playlist can be viewed, The Unlighted Colors. Just click the image to be taken to soundcloud! :D

Questions:
  • Does this story sound interesting enough to become a Visual Novel?
  • Do the characters, even with a basic outline sound engaging?
  • Does the world envoke you to want to know more?
  • How would you feel if the Visual Novel offered both a Kinetic route and one with choices? (A normal Visual Novel option would include special chapters and characters, while a kinetic route would show the base ending. There are many more mysteries to the world than just the main characters.)
  • The story includes multiple leads, would you feel less attached to them as a character?
  • This story is published as an accessible free web novel on the site RoyalRoad. Do you feel like being able to both read and experience a visual format would be confusing?
  • Worthy of being a paid project?

Gery
Regular

Re: Distant Leaps to Circinus - [Dark Fantasy | Multiple Characters | Romance | Adventure | Psychological Horror ]

#2 Post by Gery »

Hello Khailz! I'll try to answer your questions :)
~Does this story sound interesting enough to become a Visual Novel?~
Yes! Definitely! I think there's huge potential here and quite the unique setting. I'm curious to see how everything has changed and how humanity has adapted. On top on that, the art that you've provided looks stunning! Both the cg and the sprites!

~Do the characters, even with a basic outline sound engaging?~
Difficult to judge. Zeais's reasons to see colours are intriguing and I want to know more. But I'm not sure how all the profiles tie in with the overall plot. I would like to know what's at stake for the characters (at least the main one) in the story. Of course, I can see the VN will be more about world-exploration and you don't have to change anything because of me. I just prefer to know in advance if these characters will evolve in some way or another throughout the game and what will be the triggering event :)

~Does the world envoke you to want to know more?~
Yep!

~How would you feel if the Visual Novel offered both a Kinetic route and one with choices? ~
I don't mind it at all! :) For me story and characters are far more important.

~The story includes multiple leads, would you feel less attached to them as a character?~
Not, if they're compelling and if they're given enough screen time for us to get to know them.

~This story is published as an accessible free web novel on the site RoyalRoad. Do you feel like being able to both read and experience a visual format would be confusing?~
Not certain. Can I chose which one to do? Or do I need to read both?

~Worthy of being a paid project?~
I'll have to check out the demo and some reviews first ;)

Hope these helped! Good luck!

Khailz
Organization: The Unlighted
Deviantart: khailz
Soundcloud: khailz04

Re: Distant Leaps to Circinus - [Dark Fantasy | Multiple Characters | Romance | Adventure | Psychological Horror ]

#3 Post by Khailz »

Hello Gery,

Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it.
Gery wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:04 pm Difficult to judge. Zeais's reasons to see colours are intriguing and I want to know more. But I'm not sure how all the profiles tie in with the overall plot. I would like to know what's at stake for the characters (at least the main one) in the story. Of course, I can see the VN will be more about world-exploration and you don't have to change anything because of me. I just prefer to know in advance if these characters will evolve in some way or another throughout the game and what will be the triggering event :)
The story is both for world exploration and character development, I just don't want to give too many details for characters. I think it's more compelling to read their story than know who they are from the beginning. Zeais and many of the other children have a good amount of story to where you should feel they've adavanced somehow. The main thing at stake is their lives, for every person in the game/book, this is true. Majority of the children that are narrated have no one but the others around them, their life and what could be considered family, is all they have to protect. Along with figuring how they want to live and grow, they have their future as well, which is pretty well thought out if I do say so myself. :D
Gery wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:04 pm Not certain. Can I chose which one to do? Or do I need to read both?
The web novel is always available, so you wouldn't necessarily have to play the kinetic novel if you read the book. They will both be the same though, just depends on the format you like. :)
Gery wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:04 pm I'll have to check out the demo and some reviews first ;)
Hopefully if people would like to read it then I'd be more than happy to do a demo, money is an issue though.
Gery wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:04 pm Hope these helped! Good luck!
Thank you! They do help, I may have to edit the post a bit, but I'm glad you took the time to reply. Thanks!