Nevermore (now complete and released) - development thread

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
lunasspecto
Regular
Location: USA: New York City (school) and Massachusetts (home)

Nevermore (now complete and released) - development thread

#1 Post by lunasspecto »

So, I recently stumbled upon BCS's thread of art from an abandoned project and I was reminded of an old story idea that had been lying dormant somewhere in my mind.

I announce "Nevermore", a moderately short kinetic novel about insomnia. I had the idea to make this a fully voiced project, so I've voiced all the narrator's and protagonist's lines. sake-bento has voiced Lenore and the mother, Usagi has voiced the nurse and the doctor, and Flamzeron has voiced the father. I've posted a video preview on YouTube!

Version 1.0 has now been released.
Last edited by lunasspecto on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 16 times in total.
from the virtual desk of Kazuki Mishima

V2Blast
Regular

Re: Nevermore

#2 Post by V2Blast »

Downloading now. Comments to come. :)

EDIT: It's a fairly short KN, but well made. Nice combination of your writing, BCS' graphics, and others' sounds and music. The voicing of the narration is not something that happens often, and it feels kinda weird at first, but I got used to it as the novel went on. I also think the novel could use quite a bit of expansion (though I'm not sure what you would expand) - it seems like it should be longer (that's how it feels to me, anyway). Anyway, if you do make it a bit longer, more voicing (for the other characters) would certainly work.
Pie is delicious.

lunasspecto
Regular

#3 Post by lunasspecto »

Thanks for the comments, V2Blast. It's good to know that I've been relatively successful so far.

I had been planning to have all the lines voiced if the voicing of the narration and protagonist worked out. I suppose I'll ask around the forums for vocal contributions.

I had a really mean-spirited idea about expanding the end of the story:
I've considered an ending in which the protagonist lives or dies based on the value of a randomly determined variable.

V2Blast
Regular

Re: Nevermore - seeking voice actors

#4 Post by V2Blast »

Now that'd be an interesting twist.
I might actually be interested in doing some voice acting, but I'd probably be too busy to do it during the college year, and my summer's finally getting busier. Good luck, though. :)
Pie is delicious.

lunasspecto
Regular

#5 Post by lunasspecto »

Thanks for the encouragement, V2Blast.

I've expanded the story by exactly one screen of text and will post the new version momentarily. (Just stayed up late watching the Watchmen. Fun.) I really don't know what more I could add to the plot. Alas.

V2Blast
Regular

#6 Post by V2Blast »

You and your magically disappearing PMs. :P

Well, it's fine as it is, I just feel like it could be longer. (But could it? The answer remains a mystery.)
Pie is delicious.

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#7 Post by dizzcity »

By the way, have you tried the Voice Acting Alliance Forums? I know they sometimes work on voicing OELVN scripts as well (Katawa Shoujo and Senior Year being the ones that come to mind...).

Cheers,
-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

Usagi

#8 Post by Usagi »

I'm totally down to do some voice acting if you need me. :D

lunasspecto
Regular

Re: Nevermore - seeking a voice actor

#9 Post by lunasspecto »

V2Blast: Yeah, I tried to make a post to this topic but instead ended up sending you a PM (which I subsequently deleted).

dizzcity: Thanks for suggesting VAA. I'm trying the Lemma Soft Forums first, but I'll go there if I have to.

sake-bento and Usagi have both graciously offered to provide voices for the female characters. I thank both of them for their help. Since they have agreed to voice two characters each, all that leaves is the father (who has four lines).

lunasspecto
Regular

#10 Post by lunasspecto »

Flamzeron has now agreed to voice the father, so I guess I'm not looking for any more help with the voicing of this project. Also, Ren'Py 6.9.3 has been upgraded to a stable release. It looks like I'll be able to put this together before starting my first year of university studies.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#11 Post by MaiMai »

I'm looking forward to this project! It's got a good atmosphere and the voice acting is a nice bonus.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

lunasspecto
Regular

#12 Post by lunasspecto »

Thanks for the encouragement, MaiMai.

I hope people realize that the final version is going to be just like the one you can download at the top of this thread right now, except for the voices.

By the way, what do you folks think of the way the story ends in the current version?
I'm talking about the screen of text in the end (added in version 0.2, I think) that displays Ed's test results.
If people don't like it I'll leave it out of the final version. It was sort of an afterthought in the first place.

Flamzeron

#13 Post by Flamzeron »

I'm sorry, but something came up, and I'll have to record the lines tomorrow. I hope that's okay.

lunasspecto
Regular

#14 Post by lunasspecto »

Flamzeron: No problem.

Flamzeron

#15 Post by Flamzeron »

Actually, I have a question.

How am I supposed to sound in the first line? I'm having trouble finding the right emotion for it.

EDIT - Nevermind. I think I've got it figured out.