Development Diary, Your Sushi bar (Romance,Simulation)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Arkilos

Development Diary, Your Sushi bar (Romance,Simulation)

#1 Post by Arkilos »

Hello folks. (will be updated as progress is made.)
provided there are no issues with the Administration, I'll be uploading a development Diary for my first Visual Novel.
though this Diary I hope to gain some advice, new ideas, and new insight as I progress.

money
nun put into the project (in a later stage, I might start crowdfunding if this evolves to the point where It can be published)

Your sushi bar- you play a fifteen-year-old character (either male or female) who has finished Junior high school in Yokohama. You return to your small home town after news comes that your parents have passed away in a house fire. living you to run your mother's Sushi bar, where you also live. All the while going through your senior high school education.

current status.

credetis
Working on this on my own so far

Chapters
note that the number of chapters is yet undesided

Prologue
started the code
incomplete
working out errors
working on code

Chapter One
not yet started

Chapter Two
not yet started

Chapter Three
not yet started

Chapter Four
not yet started

visuals
no drawings or pictures yet.

music and fsx
nun so far.

charachters

main female- pov (no sprite or drawing yet)
main male- pov2 (no sprite or drawing yet)
uncle (no sprite or drawing yet)
sora- cousin (no sprite or drawing yet)

Notes
06.04.2019 (MM.DD.YYYY)
nothing to write about yet. mostly struggling with bugs/errors. need to decide if I am going to go wither or not if I am going to use hand-drawn scenes and characters or traditional sprite and background set up. I am open to any suggestions.

the reason I am contemplating hand drawn because I have noticed that many VNs the characters feel like they are separate or in front of the scenes they are supposed to be part of (any thoughts on this?).

potntial fetures
animation (might be too ambitious for a first project, needs research)
mini games (might be too ambitious for a first project, needs research)¨
voice recording (might be too ambitious for a first project, needs research)
more might be added in time.
Novum Arkilum

Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile
itch: matalla-interactive

Re: Development Diary, Your Sushi bar (Romance,Simulation)

#2 Post by Matalla »

Arkilos wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:17 pm need to decide if I am going to go wither or not if I am going to use hand-drawn scenes and characters or traditional sprite and background set up. I am open to any suggestions.

the reason I am contemplating hand drawn because I have noticed that many VNs the characters feel like they are separate or in front of the scenes they are supposed to be part of (any thoughts on this?).
This is something that bothers me about most VN, how separated are, both visually and conceptually, the characters from the background. And when they come sliding from outside the screen... that just get on my nerves.

I work with fullscreen illustrations to avoid that, although they are 3D scenes, which has its pros and cons. Be aware that it's a lot of work to do, several orders of magnitude higher than backgrounds +sprites. The game I finished is not very long (~15000 words, good for an hour and a half playthrough) and has 400+ unique fullscreen illustrations.

That said, I think a background + sprites system can be done in a way that works without that disturbing "separated" effect. Being aware of it, it's the first step in the right direction. I think most people just doesn't care about that because their influences has the same "problem", so they don't see it as a problem.

Why don't you try to do a short scene using both methods? Then, you can evaluate the results and the work needed for both.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español (Discord)
Honest Critique

Elta
Regular
Tumblr: limitelta
Deviantart: limitelta
itch: limitelta

#3 Post by Elta »

Hmm, as for the sprite or hand drawn, I would go with what you enjoy most. Though doing one full of only illustrations will be a lot more work I would think. Sprites are much faster to make and you can use them over and over. I like a combination, with illustrations for special events. I sort of love the whole look of the characters being separate from the backgrounds too, so I don't see it as bad them being the main part of the game. It always feels so special when you manage to stumble into one of the illustrations. I feel like that excitement is gone if the entire thing is all illustrations. VNs like that always seem less like a game and more like an interactive book. Not that that is a bad thing and I enjoy those too, it's just not quite the same. Just my personal view on it.

I hold true to the view that you should do what makes you happiest. Your going to have a much easier time finishing a project if your entire heart is invested into it! 😁

Arkilos

#4 Post by Arkilos »

For those still wondering about this project after all this time, the evolution of this idea has been announced.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62483
Novum Arkilum