You knew the day would come when you’d be summoned for a special purpose.
A trio stared you down, their gazes colder than the rain that pelted against your back.
The lady dressed in red gave a coy smile, comfortable under the umbrella that was held for her. A chill went down your spine and you felt self-conscious for a moment, knowing you looked no better than a wet dog astray.
“Or… Are you?”
The question puzzled you, but when you met the lady’s knowing eyes, you saw something different. What was it? The confidence that surrounded her… A challenge?
She held out a gloved hand, awaiting your decision.
Hello! Welcome to DMN: Project Demon, an otome for those who seek a darker setting while still having pretty boys to pursue.
I came up with this idea when I was reading through some comments about otome’s, and what they lacked or should do better. Everyone loves an edgy story with a white-haired love interest, but they also love playing an MC whose personality you can shape. So, here’s a project that makes the best of both worlds!
Mechanics: Since I don’t want to make the personality mechanics too complicated and boring, I’ve based everything around the DnD alignment system.
- Almost every choice you make will add a point to a certain alignment, which will, in turn, decide your fate with the plot and your love interests. You’ll be scored on five alignments: Good, Evil, Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic.
- Good vs Evil options are rare but they’re usually very important, and they always come before the other three if present (So in a scene, you’ll get a Good vs Evil option, and after you pick one you’ll get the Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic options which will fit whatever you chose). The only alignment that won’t be counted is True Neutral.
- The love interests will have their own alignments which will decide your compatibility with them. For example, if you score high on Lawful and Good, you won’t appeal to a Chaotic Evil interest.
- Quick note regarding Good and Evil; don’t take them literally. Think of it more as Nice vs Mean.
- Vin: A quiet one that keeps to himself. Ends up as the de facto leader when no one else wants to be, pretty good at taking care of his teammates. Has been around the longest before he got promoted to Unit 003, and thus is equally jaded by life. Likes MC’s who aren’t chaotic. Specialized in CQC and scouting/infiltration. Alignment: Lawful Neutral.
- Kai: Here’s a guy that exudes charisma and arrogance, with a fun personality to make up for his huge ego. One of the few that you can talk to without feeling like you’re pulling teeth. All in all, a pretty sound guy, and perhaps his only drawback is his mullet. Specialized in guns. Dislikes lawful MC’s that ruin the mood. Alignment: Chaotic Neutral.
- Zero: An unpredictable guy who usually has his resting bitch face on at all times, except when he finds something interesting--or, someone. Goes off and does his own thing even during critical missions, but somehow gets the job done. Only listens to Nadine, begrudgingly. Edgy. Not for the faint of heart. Dislikes most MC’s, good luck. Specialized in assassinations and torture. Alignment: Neutral Evil.
- Python: THE nerd, and Unit 003’s hacker. Would be a NEET if he wasn’t a hacker on the most wanted list. Usually in his room playing some game or watching anime. Doesn’t look like it but his IQ is 140+. Named himself after his favourite programming language. Likes most MC’s
cause he’s desperate.Alignment: Neutral Good. (WIP)
- Sasha: The Nice Guy who’s actually nice, but gives off an unattainable vibe, like he’s leagues above you. Very mature and patient, knows how to braid hair. Will cook for you and be by your bedside if you’re sick, becomes a total lost puppy without the MC. Must be protected even though all he wants to do is protect you. Dislikes evil MC’s. Unit 003’s Medic. Alignment: Lawful Good. (WIP)
- Love Interest #6: The only interest who’s good end is also a bad end, which begs the question; how bad IS his bad end? He’s perfect for the organization, being just the right amount of evil while bending the rules of society to his liking. Can’t stand good MC’s. His specialization is unknown. Alignment: Lawful Evil. (WIP)
- Love Interest #7: ???
- Love Interest #8: ???
- Regulators (the armband) can also impact dreams, allowing Demons to lucid dream at their will. Somehow, this also creates a personification of the Demon's subconscious during their dreams. Research has been inconclusive as to why this is happening, but it hasn’t done any harm yet, so testing will continue.
- The personification is known as an Animus/Anima, based off of Carl Jung’s collective conscious theory. The direct definition: “the animus as the unconscious masculine side of a woman, and the anima as the unconscious feminine side of a man, with each transcending the personal psyche.”
- The MC’s Animus will show up from time to time in dreams to discuss important events. He’ll encourage you to make good decisions and discourage you from bad ones. If you go against his advice, it will impact him negatively.
- Continuously making bad decisions will deteriorate your Animus, with each following appearance showing him more and more haggard. Making a good decision can reverse the effects if it’s not too late.
- Since he represents the MC’s subconscious, he’ll be able to pick up on things the MC wouldn’t be able to realize, which he can bring up to further assist the MC. For example, if an interest is flirting with the MC and you pick the oblivious options, he’ll bring it up.
- The Animus is True Neutral, so he won’t have a preference for the type of person you pursue. All he wants is for you to be happy and content, so he’ll do his best to assist even if the guy is the epitome of evil.
- (Considering implementing this one, but not confirmed) Likewise, depending on how you shape the MC’s personality, the Animus’ appearance will change to reflect your state of mind. A chaotic personality will result in a chaotic looking Animus, but his personality will remain True Neutral.
- So basically, the only way to know if you’re going towards a good end or a bad end is by talking to your Animus.
Plans and Progress:
- MC Sprites: Done!
- Vin Sprites: N/A
- Kai Sprites: N/A
- Zero Sprites: N/A
- Python Sprites: N/A
- Concept art for the rest: N/A
- CG's: N/A
- Backgrounds: N/A
- Arc 1: Drafted
- Arc 2: Outline complete
- Arc 3: Outline in progress
- Endings: N/A
- Arc 1: Started
- Arc 2: N/A
- Arc 3: N/A
- Personality Mechanic: Testing
- Branches: N/A
- GUI: N/A
- Screens: N/A
- BGM: N/A
- Combat Sounds: N/A
- What do you think about the Animus/Anima concept/mechanic?
- What do you think about the DnD based personality mechanic?
- What type of an MC would you want to play? Can you see yourself playing that MC in this?
- Should the alignments for the love interests be unlockable or should they be obvious on the stats screen?
- What type of a love interest would you like to see that isn’t very common/popular personality wise? Or otherwise.
- From what you’ve read, would you say it’s dark/edgy enough? If not, how would you make it darker/edgier?
- Are you able to have a suspension of disbelief for the reasoning behind the white hair and red eyes?
- Is the art appealing?/Do you like the uniforms?
- Is the world/setting interesting? What interests you the most?
- Are the love interests interesting? Who interests you the most?
- For CG's, do you prefer to see the MC's eyes?
- Is this idea unique enough or have you seen this before?
- Would you play this?