Advocate (DEAD)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

Advocate (DEAD)

#1 Post by blankd »

EDIT: This project is dead. RIP

First time posting here so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right! 8S

For those interested in an available artist here you go (for Project information and Recruiting scroll down more):
Further Reference: http://blank-death.deviantart.com/

-Can draw people, animals, monsters/horror/gore, MOST backgrounds
-Will NOT draw explicit sexual content, anything PG-13 is fine as well as spoofy implications
-Basic mastery of Photoshop and oC (I also have a trial version of SAI so you have to be VERY SURE about anything I do for you in SAI).

--------------------

Now for those interested in the Advocate Project.

Right off the bat this will contain:
-Harsh/foul language
-Mild violence (visually)
-Mild BL aspects (optional)

Premise:
Auden is a student who has a relatively stable life however there so happens to be a supernatural twist as he tries to get over the most recent drama in his life that has rendered him mostly friendless and mentally worse for wear. Someone he knows happens to get possessed by a demon and that particular demon chooses to appoint him as its anchor for its stay in the human world.

Now it's up to him to fix this and avoid getting killed by the various other strange and dangerous occurrences now cropping up in his school.

Brief Cast Overview:
Auden - Typical MC, starts off with a hesitant voice, as time passes he grows more of a backbone. Is capable of taking care of himself and being logical; has tendency to question himself more than the other party in some situations. He's shy when it comes to things he is uncertain of but highly reliable and resilient for the most part. (See red-head in picture.)

Revenent - Demon who appoints Auden as its anchor for its stay. Sarcastic, proud and arrogant to the core. Sharp-tongued and sharp-witted, looks out for itself first, Auden second. Hard to truly anger despite its vulgar language and rude sentiments. Very honest and will embellish words only in the case of insults. (See blue-haired guy in picture.)

Kurios - Token happy/bubbly character. Has fairly "feminine" interests and loves to talk. Often talks about inane subjects and has an optimistic but not foolish view of the world. Not very easily hurt by many things but still has emotional weaknesses. Tries to avoid emotionally heavy subjects like the plague. (See purple-shaded person at the bottom right of the picture.)

Tamarin - Is very lazy but sport-loving and tech-savvy. Likes to occupy himself with various (often contradicting) hobbies out of curiosity. Has a neutral way of speaking that often ends in questions. He talks indirectly and the most obscurely of things. Often quotes things for the hell of it. (See gray-shaded person at the bottom right of the picture.)

Vizier - Replacement councilor and teacher. Highly traditional and professional. A bit of a stickler for rules and regulations but is very easy to talk to otherwise. (Not pictured.)

Brigid - Most popular girl in school. Seems perfect at everything. (Not pictured)

Agatha - In charge of the in-school student cafe/store. She's a highly personable girl and is highly supportive of other students. Is often irked by Brigid and Brigid's circle of friends but never voices it. One of Auden's only remaining friends. (Not pictured)

*There are also various teachers, random students and other demons in the course of the story, but we'll save those*

What's to Play: You play alongside Auden and you act as Fate/Luck for his decisions. Due to his current circumstances he is trying to befriend others. Currently there are a total of thirteen/seventeen endings (you get less endings if you turn OFF the BL-esque aspect).

The story also takes place over the course of six school months with daily events as well as (calender) DATE dependent events.

Now the reason why there is such a small main cast (if it goes unchanged) is because I would like to incorporate highly detailed flags into all of them as well as a cohesive idea of what the school life (and their world) is as well as the mystery of the demon and the local dangers plaguing the school. There is also the "rumor mystery" aspect to it that is time-based. (Those who are familiar with the set-up of Persona 3/4 will know exactly what I'm talking about.)

Essential Recruitment Traits:
-Someone with enough programming skills to make a working calender-sim engine and planner (which operates a little differently from the frameworks one) and program specialized point-dependent choices (as in a choice will simply not exist unless they've made certain other positive choices with that character).
-Additionally someone who can deal with my sub-par abilities with RenPy and (possibly?) harsh demands.
-One programmer on board 8D

Optional Recruitment Traits (which other people can fill OR if the programmer feels generous/confident enough):
-A colorist/clean-up assistant
*One colorist thus far
-An editor/general feed-back (CAUTION! There will be a mountain of text to deal with, I AM NOT JOKING.)
*Two editors/general feed-back suppliers thus far.
-BETA (as in a tester for the close to finalized version.)

**If you require payment in some form I can only really offer Art or Feedback. Obviously everyone who contributes will be credited when this is released.

Current Progress:
-Basic Story Planned DONE
-Basic Events Planned DONE
-Basic Time-line DONE
-Basic Character Designs DONE

-Actual Script IN PROGRESS
-Actual Game art IN PROGRESS
-Other Aesthetics IN PROGRESS

Any Questions/Suggestions/Comments?
Last edited by blankd on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.

ebonyskies
Regular
Projects: Visit to Nowhere (WIP) and Pet Project--Cat Girl

Re: Advocate (Can Supply Art, NEED TECH HELP)

#2 Post by ebonyskies »

Interesting how we would play as Fate/Luck instead of directly as the MC. It's an approach not often employed, but I rather enjoyed it in Baten Kaitos. ^_^

The premise itself promises to be quite interesting. The art looks great, which is always a big plus in a VN. XD I'm finding myself looking forward to this one. =D

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to offer to be the editor. I'm rather fond of large quantities of text. =P

(And congrats on your first post. =D Welcome to the forums. XD )
Currently in the pre-production stages of creating the VN Visit to Nowhere, a moderately dark modern fairytale. In progress thread will be created once out of the pre-production phase. =D

Plotting: 25%
Concept art: 80%
Demo: 50%

blankd
Veteran

#3 Post by blankd »

Thank you for the support! Actually I'm not even sure calling the choices "Fate/Luck" is even accurate in all honesty 8S.

Format is something like...

Auden: Time to kill as always, I wonder what should I do?
-Try the Library
-Talk in the Halls
-Go back to study

And in the same vein...

"The fire began spreading from where the lighter landed, engulfing all the paper and leaving only more flames burning in its wake."

-Indulge Safety -> Auden runs away.
-Indulge Courage -> Auden tries to put out the fire. -> (choose success/failure, failure leads to "Call for Help")
-Indulge Cowardice -> Auden calls for help.

Future-Editor, what do you think?
Edited the 2nd one for clarity.
Last edited by blankd on Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

ebonyskies
Regular

#4 Post by ebonyskies »

Ah, so it's really standard VN decision making then. XD I think it would be kinda neat if you did actually make the player the personification of Fate/Luck, but it's totally your game so do whatever you think is best in terms of the feel and story you're trying to get across. Blatantly being Fate/Luck would be a nice little spin on things, but don't bother with it if you think it will sacrifice the creative integrity of the VN. ^_^

And oh, future-editor, eh? XD Thank you. =D
Currently in the pre-production stages of creating the VN Visit to Nowhere, a moderately dark modern fairytale. In progress thread will be created once out of the pre-production phase. =D

blankd
Veteran

#5 Post by blankd »

Haha, as I said, I'm not sure, I think it's pretty easy to "make" him go places, the Fate/Luck aspect (if I can even call it that) can be considered in that if he were to say "Call for help" in the fire example you get to pick who comes to his aid (if anyone at all). There are also some other things that there is no way a conscious decision on his end would alter events, instead the player controls them (hence why I misnamed it Fate/Luck). 8S

*Edited the former post to make more sense.

Actually most of the decisions and such will come from when/if I can get some tech help... XD

I should work on figuring that out huh? Oh yes should I contact you on AIM or via PM?

ebonyskies
Regular

#6 Post by ebonyskies »

Okay then. XD I sort of like the idea of being able to alter events beyond the MC's control, so that'll be interesting. =D

You're probably more likely to reach me via PM. XD I used to be on AIM all the time, but I've totally been neglecting it recently. <_< If you'd prefer, you could also reach me by email, which is even more likely to get my attention quickly. =D I'll PM you my address.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#7 Post by Aleema »

Waaah. I love your art style. <3

Do you know exactly how you want your calendar system to work?
The points thing is actually quite simple. I might be able to help you tech-wise ... you'd have to do all the creative writing, and I could only work part-time because I'm making my own projects. But how complicated did you want to get?

blankd
Veteran

#8 Post by blankd »

Thank you. :D

I've figured out a way to manually input the events but currently I'm not sure how the imagemap (for location selection) will work in conjunction with 200+ events. *I want to use the same imagemap but the events it leads to need to be able to recognize what day and month it is as well as what events have already passed.

If that's confusing I'll try to re-describe it. 8S Thank you for your help in advance!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Aleema »

The imagemap itself won't manage the 200+ events, what you link to the imagemap will (and its certainly reasonable to script something that can). If you want the image map to change dynamically, then you have a problem. I suggest imagebuttons for that. But if the imagemap you want is just a map with locations you can click, that's easy. :)

blankd
Veteran

#10 Post by blankd »

Oh of course nothing that.

But what I want it to do is:

-> go to imagemap -> go to location -> event
*next day*
-> go to imagemap -> go to location -> go to next event ( which is a variable of day and convo-progression)

etc. to the end.

Yeah I'm really tech noobish so this is why it's so confusing to me 8S

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Aleema »

Don't worry. What you want to be done is why Ren'Py exists. :)
Actually, a modified version of the DSE framework is probably what you want. That will be easy to do, really.

blankd
Veteran

#12 Post by blankd »

Oh really? I'd be really grateful if I could get that modified event dispatcher. :D

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Aleema »

Sure, I can help you. It would be a shame to see this project fail to get off the ground.
Send me a PM about what you had in mind, exactly, as a framework for your story. So far I've got: a "planner" stage and/or an imagemap to choose where to go, and planned events based on point values and dates. Things I'd like to know: How time-sensitive did you want the events to trigger (by date, day of the week, time of day, etc)? Did you want anything to be visible on the screen the whole time, like the date or a link to the imagemap? What are the location/activites that will trigger events? And anything else specific. Then I cook something up for you.

Alphonse
Regular

#14 Post by Alphonse »

It's...it's beautiful..

Less JPEG next time though, please. The, how you people call it, "artifacts" are making it harder to see the pictures clearly. PNG and even GIF, if you're scrounging for file space, are your friends.

alberte
Veteran
Tumblr: klaruga
Deviantart: Klaruga

Re: Advocate (WIP)

#15 Post by alberte »

This sounds so amazing.. ugh

Too bad i have no examples of my coloring..

Maybe when i feel more confident in coloring with my mouse.. i will attempt.
Goodluck on this project E>

P.S.
I LOVE YOUR ART